Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

the buzzing is back

This is a discussion on the buzzing is back within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Okay I have an asus A8n sli deluxe mobo, bought it in may ish, and I had to replace the

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 06:32 PM   #1

Okay I have an asus A8n sli deluxe mobo, bought it in may ish, and I had to replace the northbridge fan (i think its called the northbridge) they sent me one. Now its been like a month or two after, the fan is making a really loud buzzing/ rattling noise. Its spinning but I have a hunch its spinning slower than normal speed. any advice?? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2005, 06:42 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

If you have not, then get a can of air from a drug store or wally world and blow that fan out every week. They get so much dust in and around them, then slow down because of the dust, make noise for a while, and then die. This fan is the weakest part of this motherboard.....I know, I have one.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:46 PM   #3

Yeah I just dusted it out a couple weeks ago because of my vga card. my video card started shutting down during counterstrike or aoe3, i think because it was overheating. it still does it sometimes. yes this mobo indeed sux if the replacement fan craps out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2005, 07:27 PM   #4

Okay might as well say the rest of the problems with my comp:

- my video card is messed up as mentioned above, and sometimes when i hit my desk really hard after getting headshotted in CSS, it shuts down too ( thought it was loose connection but pushed it in) . when i reboot it says system failed vga test, and i have to cold boot after like 30 seconds to reboot without the error.

-I replaced the stock cpu fan with an artic cooling fan, and now when i boot after the comps been off a while it says "CPU fan failed". if i reboot it doesnt say anything, only when its been off a while. tried pushing it in hard.

-sometimes when i boot it gives me an error "keyboard not detected" or something like that, even though its connected. its usb, its a logitech wireless keyboard, lx 300 i think. standard software is installed I have routed some of the funtion keys if thats any difference.

-the case is pretty ghetto, front usb door is broken off, also the front audio ports (mic and headphone) i dont know how to connect to the mobo. it has a side window and a fan, tho the fan i have on it makes it really loud because of a grill. its cheap generic case, considering upgrading to this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147010

any advice on ANY of this would be really appreciated.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:01 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyclown
Okay might as well say the rest of the problems with my comp:

- my video card is messed up as mentioned above, and sometimes when i hit my desk really hard after getting headshotted in CSS, it shuts down too ( thought it was loose connection but pushed it in) . when i reboot it says system failed vga test, and i have to cold boot after like 30 seconds to reboot without the error.

-I replaced the stock cpu fan with an artic cooling fan, and now when i boot after the comps been off a while it says "CPU fan failed". if i reboot it doesnt say anything, only when its been off a while. tried pushing it in hard.

-sometimes when i boot it gives me an error "keyboard not detected" or something like that, even though its connected. its usb, its a logitech wireless keyboard, lx 300 i think. standard software is installed I have routed some of the funtion keys if thats any difference.

-the case is pretty ghetto, front usb door is broken off, also the front audio ports (mic and headphone) i dont know how to connect to the mobo. it has a side window and a fan, tho the fan i have on it makes it really loud because of a grill. its cheap generic case, considering upgrading to this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147010

any advice on ANY of this would be really appreciated.
Hi,

First of all, I don't remember what your computer has except the sli board, so not for me especially, but for others who will be reading this for the first time, might just list your specs again. Copy it off your previous forum post.

The system failed VGA test could mean that:

The video card is not getting enough power from the power supplly.

The video card is not snapped clear down in the socket.

The video card does not have the wire (pci-e) connected to the card.

The square 12volt molex plug is not plugged in.

****With this board, there is an extra 12 volt 4 wire plug near the CPU that will take a regular power supply plug in. Put that in and try it, and it will not hurt anything although it is intended to supply more power to the dual pci-e cards. It will supply more power, if your power supply is up to the job.....which I suspect it is not.

The other areas you have mentioned to check:

Make sure (real important) that the new heatsink and fan are clamped clear down tight. Those (heatsink and fan) are so hard to get it to snap down with that board. (I own that board also)

Make sure that even though all wires are connected, that there is not one that is not making good contact. That does happen some time.

On the power supply and case. The case is not important in most instances, but I can tell you that power supply WILL NOT meet your needs, because it is not only considered one of the weaker power supplies on the market and in addition, 350 watts is not nearly enough with this board and pci-e. YOu need to look at a minimum of 500 watts to 550 watt Enermax or Antec power supplly to run this rig.

Although, not up to the 500 watt level, I am running an Athlon San Diego 3700+ with this board and using the Antec Sonata II with an excellent Antec 450 watt supply. This case runs cool, is beautiful, quiet, and has front panel connectors. The package for both the case and power supply at either NewEgg.com or ZipZoomFly.com, will come in at about 100 bucks, plus shipping. Both those places treat your right on shipping prices and service.

Hope something I said helps a little. Keep us posted.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:13 PM   #6

Yes, since the last post i made: https://www.techsupportforum.com//har...ght=crazyclown
( my specs are on there, and i also just entered em into my profile )

The specs have changed like this: I have one of my louder masscool fans as an exhaust on the back, an arctic cooling fan on the side (much quieter but not much airflow). I did upgrade my PSU to an Antec Smartpower 450W. I think thats a pretty good one, right? got it for 40 bux. As far as the cpu fan, i should just unclamp and reclamp it, making sure its tight right? is that okay for the cpu?

as far as the extra power plug goes, all i see is a 4 pin plug, its not square, its rectangular, the type of plug that has red black black yellow cable, i think thats the molex. is that the one you mean? its right above the first graphics card slot? I need an extension molex cable to hook that up.

"The video card does not have the wire (pci-e) connected to the card."

what wire do you mean? i thought you just push it into the PCI-E slot. Also note that that the vga card works but it just craps out when under a high load (i think)
Old 12-05-2005, 04:39 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, since the last post i made: https://www.techsupportforum.com//har...ght=crazyclown
( my specs are on there, and i also just entered em into my profile )

The specs have changed like this: I have one of my louder masscool fans as an exhaust on the back, an arctic cooling fan on the side (much quieter but not much airflow). I did upgrade my PSU to an Antec Smartpower 450W. I think thats a pretty good one, right? Yes, this is a nice power supply at a good price got it for 40 bux. As far as the cpu fan, i should just unclamp and reclamp it, making sure its tight right? is that okay for the cpu? Yes, unclamp and make certain it is clear clamped down tight, but don't break the AS seal between the cpu and heatsink...these babies are hard to get clamped clear down the way they belong.
as far as the extra power plug goes, all i see is a 4 pin plug, its not square, its rectangular, the type of plug that has red black black yellow cable, i think thats the molex. is that the one you mean? its right above the first graphics card slot? I need an extension molex cable to hook that up. You will need the 24 pin ATX connector to the motherboard, the square molex plug to the motherboard, and if you use sli, you will need the additional regular sized 12 volt plug (should be close to the cpu area toward the back and side of the motherboard I/O backplate side) plugged in. It will not hurt to plug this in to try to see if that helps, but if you don't need it, don't worry about it. I just checked your video card specs, and I don't think you have an extra video card pci-e wire connected to this card, unless I was looking at the wrong one. Just check your card literature to make sure (I use ATI cards and not the brand you have
"The video card does not have the wire (pci-e) connected to the card."

what wire do you mean? i thought you just push it into the PCI-E slot. Also note that that the vga card works but it just craps out when under a high load (i think)
Do you have the drivers loaded for the video card?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:45 AM   #8

Okay I messed up pretty bad: went to take out the cpu fan, and snapped off one of those black clips that the levers from the fan is supposed to hook on to. anyways pushed it back in, guess it will never be perfect again, and I booted and prayed. It worked, and interestingly didnt give the error. anyways frankly all i care about right now is that it works, I have finals next week and a broken computer is the last thing i need. So I'm gonna leave it be for now. I'll post pictures tonite after class, since what i just said prolly didnt make much sense.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:51 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Who the heck says prayer does not work. Anyhow, I would bet that your error was coming from that darn heatsink not having enough pressure on it from the clamp. That is quite common and the rig you have (remember, I have that one) is a real tough one to get in. Just glad it works.....don't mess with it until it begins to give you trouble again. That is my best advice.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:03 PM   #10

Here are some pics of what i mean, maybe that will be able to clear things up. sorry for the terrible quality, cellphone camera+ me in paint/photoshop = not good

Old 12-05-2005, 05:43 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Pictures not too bad really. Yes, that is the EZ plug for dual sli cards. I say, if you can make it work, don't worry about it. Just improvise to get the job done.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:49 AM   #12

well I'm trying to improvise, and the best solution seems to get my table fan and open the case door and have my table fan blow air in at the mobo. while this is pretty effective at cooling (frops like 6 degrees), it is not a very useful solution, and I need to fix this computer so i never have to worry about this again.
Here are my symptoms:
when playing a computer game, like AOE3, the screen will go blank and to standby, the computer will still be on, but it wont respond to commands, and when i reboot it says "system failed VGA test". then i turn it off (power button) and wait a few seconds, and then it works again, like normal.
It crashes in AOE3 in anything from menus to in game, although the menus do require a bit of rendering themselves.

Here are my suspects:

1) The Video Card: since the monitor goes blank/ standby whenever the problem happens, and the computer says "system FAILED VGA test", this is my number 1 suspect. I can't however see whats going on. is my case just way hotter than normal? am i running my games too high resolution? I thought I dont need to compromise quality when I got a geforce 6600gt. So I'm going to call the video card company sometime.

2) The CPU/Fan/Heatsink. since the computer says cpu fan failed or something on boot sometimes, It may not be cooling the comp enough, enough to cause the video card to shut down. So when i went to make sure it was far enough in, the black piece broke off as shown above. Can i get a replacement part for this from the manufacturer? Also is it possible that a cpu overheating would cause the behavior above?

3) that northbridge fan keeps making noise, and i havent shot it with air yet (gonna go try to find some today). could this mean that some other small processor is overheating and causing the shutdown?

Thanks for your help, its greatly appreciated.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:06 AM   #13

the northbridge fans on these boards are flakey
Old 12-09-2005, 03:17 PM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Here are my suspects:

1) The Video Card: since the monitor goes blank/ standby whenever the problem happens, and the computer says "system FAILED VGA test", this is my number 1 suspect. I can't however see whats going on. is my case just way hotter than normal? am i running my games too high resolution? I thought I dont need to compromise quality when I got a geforce 6600gt. So I'm going to call the video card company sometime.

Why not turn down the resolution to sample what happens. That would give you some clues.

2) The CPU/Fan/Heatsink. since the computer says cpu fan failed or something on boot sometimes, It may not be cooling the comp enough, enough to cause the video card to shut down. So when i went to make sure it was far enough in, the black piece broke off as shown above. Can i get a replacement part for this from the manufacturer? Also is it possible that a cpu overheating would cause the behavior above?

Yes, this also could cause the problems you are seeing. I would guess you can get a new part from the manufacturer. Also, we see a lot of errors from the Heatsink and FAn not being clamped clear down tight. This might be an issue with a broken part.

3) that northbridge fan keeps making noise, and i havent shot it with air yet (gonna go try to find some today). could this mean that some other small processor is overheating and causing the shutdown?

If this fan is not working correctly, then it can cause your graphics card to overheat and hence cause the problem you are seeing.....get that can of air and see what happens.

Thanks for your help, its greatly appreciated.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:05 PM   #15

okay i got that can of air and for now it seems to be helping.
today i was playing AOE3 and my comp died (was trying to figure out why it does so i experimented with settings) So as usual i reboot, and i opened up AOE3 and all of my profiles were deleted, all of my settings were gone, all the graphics settings were set at lowest possible everything. So now i'm pissed!!! I don't know if you guys know anything about the game or anything but I really want my profile back. I spoke with arctic cooling about that cpu fan part and they told me to talk to newegg, so i sent newegg an email today. I also sent chaintech (my video card manufacturer) about the shutting down, no response yet. I fugured out that the huge rattling noise in my case is actually my video cards fan, so shot it with air, but its still loud. maybe thats broken?!?! gah i just dont know what to do and i dont want to just throw money at it unless i know it'll work.

EDIT : figured it out, my AOE3 files are not gone, so thats good
Closed Thread