Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

temp at 97C, then wont boot

This is a discussion on temp at 97C, then wont boot within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was getting horrible performance on my CPU for awhile. I checked the temperatures, and the temp of the processor

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I was getting horrible performance on my CPU for awhile. I checked the temperatures, and the temp of the processor was at 97C! Immediately I turned off the computer and checked to see if the heatsink was in there OK. I thought that it was, but then again, i barely know what a heatsink is. I pushed it down and stuff to seat it properly if it wasnt already. Then, I turned the CPU on, and i wouldnt get a boot signal, no video or "beep" from the motherboard. Is my CPU broke?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

You need to take it apart (cpu/heatsink/fan) and clean the thermal paste off there and reapply some Arrtic Silver. Pay close attention to instructions: Artic Silver Instructions

Then, when you put it back together, don't take it apart once it is seated and MAKE SURE you have the clamp down tight to secure that CPU/Heatsink/Fan.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Thanks. I took off the fan/heatsink, so now i need to reapply the grease in order for the cpu to boot? Also, can i just use toothpaste instead of the grease?

Edit: I can't clamp down on all four clamp thingys?? It only lets me clamp down on the two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

You cant use toothpaste!

And if you cant get all four down dont put to much pressure on them because you could break them on the cpu fan and if you break them on the board that would be worse.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Do not use Toothpaste. If you can't wait then I'd suggest you try a local computer shop to see if they have any. Also, make sure the fan is running when you power up.

Patrick
Closed Thread