Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

System will not POST; "No video detected" - help please!

This is a discussion on System will not POST; "No video detected" - help please! within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Specs - 8600gt - 8gb ddr2 ram - QX9650 3.0ghtz 12mb quad core processor - asus striker II formula sli

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #1

Specs
- 8600gt
- 8gb ddr2 ram
- QX9650 3.0ghtz 12mb quad core processor
- asus striker II formula sli 780
- asetek 120mm watercooler (cpu)
- windows vista ultimate 64-bit
- 120mm top fan
- 120mm side fan
- blu-ray player w/ lightscribe (+anything else a good cd player does)
- 400wat psu

New things I bought to replace old;
- gtx260 (replacing 8600gt)
- corsair 850wat psu (replacing 400wat one)
- ***about to buy a new motherboard***

Alright; recently I got a new gtx260 XFX card for my system and everything went fine with the installation. About a day later my computer randomly shut off when I started playing games and my gtx260 wouldn't start up so I looked into it and thought that maybe the power supply wasn't big enough and it wasn't > 400wat PSU on a 550wat system....

So I ordered new PSU (850wat Corsair), but along the way I noticed that when I tried to boot up my system on my old 8600gt I wouldn't get any video when my monitor and cables are for sure 100 percent not the issue now. The fan turns on in the 8600gt, but it still won't post or get any video whatsoever. So I thought maybe the drivers are still in effect with the gtx260 and I just waited for my new PSU to arrive (an 850wat Corsair) and plugged it all in with the gtx260 XFX card now and the card wouldn't even spin up with the right voltage req. and two 6 pin power connectors on (rest of the computer worked fine; all drives and fans spinning normally). So I thought the card was fubar and sent in for a replacement under the warranty...

In the time being however my 8600gt still won't post video even though the fan on the card spins up. I can't figure what the heck is wrong with my system. I'm beginning to think something is wrong with the mobo, but maybe nothing is wrong with the mobo since I get power to everything and the fan on the 8600gt works fine.

I tried taking all, but 1 stick of RAM out (I have four 2G sticks = 8GB total RAM on my system). Clearing the CMOS and re-inserting everything that I could - properly and carefully, but still it wouldn't POST or get video (same problem). So I'm really out of ideas. I need help, and if you could give it - it would make my year.

I have a couple theories;
1. my psu fried the mobo and gpu?
2. mobo just got bad
3. cpu is overheating with a non-functioning asetek watercooler?
4. cpu is fubar

Please help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread