Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

System starts and shuts down.

This is a discussion on System starts and shuts down. within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have never seen this problem before. I have a P4 system built myself. I have been running it on

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #1

I have never seen this problem before. I have a P4 system built myself. I have been running it on windows 2000 with a 160GB hard drive. i needed the hard drive for another project and replaced it with a 40GB that i have laying around, but now the system just beeps like 7 or 8 times, (these beeps seem to come from the drive not the mother board) and shuts right off when i power up. if I put the original drive in the system, does not matter what IDE controler it is on it will boot of the 40GB drive. i have checked the bios settings and nothing helps. i have loaded the 40GB drive with XP and it boot up fine if the old 160GB drive is in the system but will not power up if i take it out. Any ideas from out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

What mode is the 40GB drive set to. Master? Slave? Cable Select? This can have something to do with it. Just a thought.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Also, can you hear the drive spinning up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #4

The 40GB drive is the primary master drive. you can hear the drive spin up but you hear continuos beeps like the mother board beeps but they are comming from the drive. even if i disconnect everything in the system and just leave the floppy hooked up it will not boot up with out the original 160GB drive. i am at wits end.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Just a thought, not sure if this would help, but check the bios settings for boot order, and chek to see what drive is set to boot first the 160GB or the 40GB.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #6

I have set the boot order to look at the 40GB drive first and it does not have any affect.
Here is the jist, the 40GB is loaded with XP and boots up with no glitches as long as the 160GB drive is on any one of the 4 IDEs available, the 160GB is not even partitioned or formated. if the 160GB drive is not in the system when you press the power button to turn the system on, the fans spins for about 1 second and the system does not go any further, no start up at all as if it was not even plugged in. I have looked thru the bios and can not find any kind of setting. i am just lost...help
Old 03-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

was windows installed on the computer you have put it in
it will not boot if you moved it in from another computer

Old 03-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #8

The 40GB drive was zeroed out, wiped clean before installing into the computer. then the drive was loaded with XP and registered but all this was done with the 160GB installed as secondary master drive. boots up fine as long as the 160GB drive is installed but just will not boot/power up with out it.
I have gone to the point that if i take all drives and CDROM out and only leave the floppy drive installed it still wont boot. All the drives i have tried are used from other systems that i have upgraded in the past. i do not have a brand new drive to install and see if the system will power up to set it up.
i am hoping that someone out there has seen this problem before and knows what to do. i feel it is something simple but i do not see it.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:07 PM   #9
I helped the forums.

My System

Very odd indeed.

See if the system will POST with no drives (CD, Floppy, or Hard drives) connected.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

What are your system specs? (Make and model of the Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Power supply, and all drives)

Try a replacing the ribbon cable.

Double check the label on the 40gb for jumper settings. You might have to remove the jumper when running as a single drive. (I've only seen this on one drive but I don't remember which brand it was)
Old 03-13-2008, 05:09 AM   #10
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

your mbr is on the 160g drive that's why it does'nt boot when it's disconnected
do a fixboot from the recovery console with xp

Old 03-17-2008, 06:34 PM   #11

First i want to thank all for there replys so far.

Ok i have reset the cmos and tried new cables, and checked jumpers on the drives. The system will not power up with out the 160GB drive connected so it wont even turn on if i disconnect everything. This is a P4VMA-M mother board, (bought at show), P4 1.8Mh, 512M ram, generic case with 400W power supply. has WD 160GB, and Seagate 40GB. generic DVD ROM/CD-R/RW and floppy.

I did try the XP fix for the MBR but that did not solve the problem iether. i even tried a utility that erases the MBR and then fixed it and still nothing. just out of fustration i powered up the system and when it was up disconnected the 160GB and the system just shut down.

I am not sure what to do next and await anyones ideas.

Thanks
David
Old 03-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #12
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what brand are the drives

Old 03-20-2008, 10:06 AM   #13

The system has Western Digital 160GB, and Seagate 40GB. generic DVD ROM/CD-R/RW and floppy
Old 03-20-2008, 10:28 AM   #14
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

if the wd drive is set as master on it's own you remove the jumpers
if you add the seagate as slave you have to put a jumper on it in the master with slave position
if you remove the slave then you have to remove the jumper again
if the seagate is master you just add a jumper on the slave position on the wd drive
if the seagate was originally the master leave it as the master and run the wd drive as the slave

Old 03-20-2008, 07:08 PM   #15

Dai,

First I appriciate any help with this matter for it is driving me crazy, so do not take this the wrong way.

Please read thru the postings I have made. I do not think the jumpers are the problem since the system wont even power up if the WD 160
GB drive is not installed in the system. The computer wont even power up if all the drives are disconnected.

The only way the computer will power up is if the WD 160GB drive is on one of the IDE controllers, does not matter which one just has to be installed.

I am at wits end and i am willing to entertain any ideas.

Thanks
David
Old 03-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #16
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

have you another power supply you can try with it
set it up out of the case with just
cpu
video
ram
speaker
and see if it will post
with it out of the case where you can get a good look at it
check both sides of the m/b
check there are no leaking or swollen capacitors

Old 03-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #17

Dai,

Again thanks for some input, but I do not understand why your asking me to check the power supply and the m/b when the system will power up fine if the 160GB drive is in whether it is alone or other drives are attached.

There seems to be something looking at or for the 160GB drive when I first turn on the computer. As I mentioned before in an earlier post that even when the system was completely up and running on the secondary drive with XP loaded, when I unpluged the power to the 160GB drive the system just died like the main power plug was pulled.

Thanks
David
Old 03-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #18
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

i don't know the cause and suggesting progressive steps to try and isolate the cause of the problem

Old 03-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #19

I don't mean to be short.
This problem has been very frustrating. I have ruled out a bad power supply and mother board because the system powers up and runs perfect as long as the 160GB drive is installed. the 160GB drive was the original drive in the system, running windows 2000 Pro. before I decided to install the 40GB so that I could use the 160GB in a network back up drive. I used the western digital utilities to zero out the 160GB drive and then installed the Seagate 40GB (which was zeroed out already) as the primary master where the 160GB drive was and the system would not power up. I then left the 40GB in and instaled the 160GB as the primary slave and the sytem powered up fine.
The one thing I can not figure out is why the system will not power up if the 160GB drive is not installed.

Thanks.
David
Closed Thread