Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

System failing to boot, posting multiple times per startup, BIOS going nuts

This is a discussion on System failing to boot, posting multiple times per startup, BIOS going nuts within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Every time I try to boot either Windows 7 or Debian, my computer freezes during bootup. However, when I boot

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

Every time I try to boot either Windows 7 or Debian, my computer freezes during bootup. However, when I boot from a liveCD it still works perfectly fine. I believe it is a problem with the mobo but I'm not entirely sure.

This all started yesterday after resizing a partition using the PartedMagic LiveCD and creating a new one from the empty space. As far as I can tell, however, the HDD still seems to be perfectly fine: when I boot from the liveCD, I can still see all of my partitions and all of the data on them. When I boot my computer, it loads GRUB just fine, and it doesn't get stuck until it tries to load an OS.

When I try booting Windows 7, I just end up getting a blank screen where it freezes.

When I try booting Debian, it boots up normally until it gets to the following line, at which point it freezes:
Quote:
Memory: 4059460k/4980736k available (2228k kernel code, 132280k reserved, 1081k data, 392k init)
Now, I only have 4GB of RAM, while this is telling me for some reason that I have 4.75GB. My BIOS tells me that I do in fact have 4GB (although it says 4094MB instead of 4096MB for some reason) so I'm not sure where it's getting this number.

I tried removing one of the two 2GB RAM modules and booting again. It got stuck at the same point, this time giving a much more reasonable number (2094976k, which is off by only 2176k). I tried taking that module out and putting the other back in, and got the same result.

This makes me think that it isn't a memory problem, as it seems highly unlikely to me that they would both fail at the exact same time after working perfectly fine for two months. Furthermore, the LiveCD (which loads itself into RAM) seems to work perfectly fine.

The next thing I tried was clearing the CMOS, which is where things really started getting funky, and why I think the problem has something to do with the motherboard.

After clearing the CMOS, upon starting up, the system posted and restarted itself three times before makign it to GRUB. Upon trying to load linux it stopped at the same point as before. I noticed, a few lines above that time.c showed the cpu clock speed as being 3.7GHz (the overclocked value it was at before I cleared the CMOS). So I turned it off, cleared it again and this time checked the BIOS to see that it had in fact been reset to default values, and it was.

I tried starting it up again. This time it again posted and restarted three times before reaching GRUB and froze at the same point upon trying to load debian. *Again*, it showed the CPU clock speed as 3.7GHz despite the fact that I had just been in the BIOS and saw that it was set to 3.2GHz. So I rebooted, entered the BIOS again and lo and behold it was back to the settings I had had before clearing it.

So this time I reset everything to default values from within the BIOS instead of using the clr CMOS button. Upon starting up again it posted and reset itself twice, and still froze when I tried to boot debian, but it did show the correct 3.2GHz value for the cpu clock this time.

So it seems like there's something very wrong with my mobo or at least the BIOS, though clearing the CMOS didn't seem to help at all. I have no idea precisely what is wrong, but I would love to get some help in figuring it out and fixing it if I can. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
Emeritus

If you can run a Live CD then the problem is most likely with the Hdd or the OS(s).
I would run the Hdd manufacturer's diagnostics on the Hddd.
You could also boot from the 7 disc and try a Repair.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

I tried booting from the Windows 7 disc. When I went to repair, it said nothing was wrong. I decided to do windows memory test for kicks, and it also found no problems. But now windows boots up perfectly fine for some reason, however Linux still freezes up at the same point when I try to boot it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
Emeritus

Have you tried using the Hdd manufacturer's software to test the hdd?
If the Hdd has no errors my best guess is the MBR or the OS(s) got hosed during the partitioning.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
Registered Member

I should also mention that right now about two thirds of the time I try to start up, whether booting from HDD or CD, the system just restarts before even getting to GRUB or the CD's boot loader. No idea how a HDD problem could be doing *that*

I ran all of the tests in Seatools and they found nothing.
I don't know why you seem so fixated on the hard drive though when the problems I'm running into don't appear to have anything to do with it.
I also don't see how it could possibly be a problem with my linux install, as I did not touch the partition linux was installed on, and it looks like everything that should be there is. And if the MBR had been fubared then how would it even be able to load GRUB?

hello?
Old 01-12-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
Enthusiast

My System

there are many people on here needing help and not enough of us to help them all or stay with a single user until their problem is solved so you need to be patient.

As for your proble I agree with Tyree During your partitioning I thing the MBR has became corrupted. This may not be the a good option for you but it may be the only one you have.

Boot with the live cd and use partition magice to completly wipe any partitions on the drive then format it and start a fresh.

Another thought occured Did you install Windows 7 or debian first?

If you had windows 7 then installed debian you will have problems due to boot loader and this will be the issue. Linux should go first then windows 7.

what I posted above may be the problem although you can dual run with either OS installed first but you may have to reinstall bootloader from windows

Try turning off AHCI (advanced hoste controller interface).
Old 01-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

why did you not use win7 disk management to resize the partitions

Old 01-12-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
Enthusiast

My System

I have been talking to a friend who has multiple dual booting windows and unix systems and he also believes as I do that your MBR is screwed and this will be why you are not getting anything to boot from the hard drive.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
this will be why you are not getting anything to boot from the hard drive.
Umm, you seem to misunderstand. Windows 7 *is* booting from the hard drive now. It just freezes about half the time.

Also, if the MBR were messed up, wouldn't that prevent me from even getting to GRUB?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #10
Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allophyl View Post
Umm, you seem to misunderstand. Windows 7 *is* booting from the hard drive now. It just freezes about half the time.
Ok have you tried using memtest86 to check the ram, freezing is common with damaged ram, power or heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allophyl View Post
Also, if the MBR were messed up, wouldn't that prevent me from even getting to GRUB?
Not neccesarily. Have you tried a GRUB restore to see if that resolves anything?
Old 01-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
Ok have you tried using memtest86 to check the ram, freezing is common with damaged ram, power or heat.

Not neccesarily. Have you tried a GRUB restore to see if that resolves anything?
Yes I have tried both of those things. No problems were found with the memory and reinstalling GRUB didn't help.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
Enthusiast

My System

seems like your mbr is screwed then.

Use killdisk to completely wipe the drive and start again is the only thing I can advise.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:17 AM   #13
Registered Member

Well, thanks for completely wasting my time by getting me to back everything up and wipe my hard drive. It didn't help *anything*, and I don't even see how you could possibly think it's an issue with the MBR when the system restarts BEFORE booting anything.

Even after wiping the hard drive and the MBR, I'm still having the same problems as before: the system resets before even trying to boot anything 2/3 of the time, and the debian disc still will not work. I even tried burning another debian disc in case the first one was damaged and it froze at the same place. Just like before, it boots fine but it freezes anytime I try to install it or get to the recovery console or anything like that.

The windows 7 disc works fine so I'll probably just reininstall that for now, but I would *really* like to fix this.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:49 AM   #14
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them

Old 01-15-2010, 07:16 AM   #15
Enthusiast

My System

it's all about trial error mate, you don't like the advice then don't ask.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #16
Registered Member

These are my specs:
Mobo: GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
CPU: Phenom II X4 955 BE
RAM: G.Skill 2x2GB 1600MHz CL9 (running at 1333MHz as I have the bios at default settings right now)
GPU: XFX HD4870 1GB
PSU: Corsair TX750W
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (7200.12, not .11)

I reset the BIOS to default settings *long* ago. All voltages and speeds are stock. System and CPU temps are 29-30C after being on for a few minutes. My BIOS doesn't show temps for the HDD but in speedfan (before I wiped the hard drive) it was giving temperatures in the 20s.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:50 AM   #17
Registered Member

Alright. I decided to run memtest86 again a few times, as I realized that I tested both sticks individually but not both together. Both together, they fail on the very first test. Individually, in either the 3rd or 4th slot, they both pass. (my HSF overhangs the first slot, so I haven't tested the first two slots. I'm going to need to get a new HSF if I ever decide I need 8GB of RAM.)

I've also noticed something I didn't before: with each of the two modules memtest gives the following line:
Settings: RAM : 357 MHz (DDR714) / CAS : 0-7-0 / DDR-1 (128 bits)
which is all wrong. It should be 666MHz (DDR1333), CAS 9-9-9 and DDR3. The BIOS shows all of the correct values, just not memtest86.

Finally, another weird thing: A couple of days ago when I tried running the system with only one memory module, I still couldn't boot debian nor could I do anything from the cd. Now when I try the CD with a single module, however, it works perfectly fine.

So, is it possible for me to fix this problem, or am I going to have to RMA the mobo?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #18
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

memtest has to be run on one stick at a time

you double the speed which means it is 357x2=714

it should be running at 333,is it set to auto detect in the bios

are the 2 ram sticks a matching pair,if not then it looks like they don't like working
to-gether with each other

Old 01-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #19
Registered Member

Yes, they are a matching pair, as I mentioned just a couple of posts up.

And their speed is supposed to be DDR3-1333 (that's 1333. Thirteen Thirty-Three. NOT 333.) Memtest86 is reporting DDR714 which is not the even close to the speed or even the type of RAM.

The debian install disc wouldn't work properly with both sticks in, but oddly enough after installing it with only a single memory module, Debian now boots fine even with both, though memtest86 still fails with both modules installed.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:41 AM   #20
Registered Member

Ugh. This is driving me insane.
So after seeing that the computer was working fine now with the exception of memtest failing to work in dual-channel mode and giving weird numbers for my RAM speed, I decided to create that FAT32 partition again, and then install windows (doing the NTFS partitions from within the windows installer) So I made a 250GB FAT32 partition in gparted from the partedmagic livecd, then popped my Windows 7 disc in and ended up running into a CD/DVD drive driver error (a completely different problem for another thread). So I tried rebooting into linux and... nothing. Stopped at the same point as before. I tried taking out one of the RAM modules and it still wouldn't boot. I ran memtest on the single module and it passed all tests perfectly fine. I tried removing the FAT32 partition and it still wouldn't boot. I tried wiping my MBR and installing Linux again, but no, the installer freezes in the exact same place it did before.

So twice now, this problem has occurred right after adding a FAT32 partition with GParted. Yet removing that partition, and even wiping the MBR completely does not seem to fix the problem at all. I don't know what it was that I did that fixed the problem the last time, but it doesn't seem to want to work at all now, despite having cleared the MBR and trying it with only 2GB installed like last time.

I just tried unplugging my HDD and putting my old 60GB IDE one in. It seems to boot windows fine, but I still get the same problems with the computer restarting after post before booting anything, and trying to do anything from the debian cd still causes it to freeze. So I'm fairly certain that the problem is not my HDD. It's almost certainly either my RAM or my Motherboard. But I have no idea which of the two it is based on everything that's going on. I'm leaning toward it probably being the mobo though.
Closed Thread