Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Strange CPU overheating

This is a discussion on Strange CPU overheating within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, My laptop has CPU overheating problem and does not work fine like before. Because one day it was sleep

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
My laptop has CPU overheating problem and does not work fine like before. Because one day it was sleep in my backpack and got turned on by accident. Then it was there for near one hour and I didn't know. When I took it out its body was very very hot (burning my hands) and after that it was hanging all of the time.
Then I checked the CPU tempreature and it was 65C at 15% cpu uasge.
I opened the laptop and changed its fans and heatsink(in case of heatpipe problems) and I also used new thermal compound(Deepcool Z9) on CPU and GPU, and new thermal pad on VRM, GPU memory and ... .
It does not hang anymore on normal usage but the performance is bad and CPU is hot. CPU tempreature is 57C at 15% cpu uasge.

The fans are always in full speed and I can hear them, before that overheat in the backapck, just in gaming I could hear them.

I think the heatsink works well becuase it is new and the cpu side of it is cooler than the fans side(as I read in some forums) and other parts including fan and thermal compound and thermal pad works fine because they are all changed.

The part of the heatsink that is on the top of VRM is so hot, hotter than rest of the heatsink. It's near the CPU and becuase of that I have a guess that VRM overheat and the heat of that goes to the cpu through the heatsink and CPU can not work well. It's just a guess. How can I be sure that is the problem or not?

I have highlighted all parts in the picture that is attached.

Do you have any idea what the problem is? I am really confused.

laptop specification(Lenovo Y50-70):
Intel I7-4710HQ
Nvidia GTX860M 4GB
16GB memory
500GB SSD WD Blue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181218_204504_1545153390990.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	322344  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Well, sometimes it could be just that some air gaps are there in the thermal paste or on the thermal pad.. for laptops, heating is always a challenge for which no super cooling solution is available like the Desktops..

If you need a band aid for the situation, you could look at using something like this.. The reason this is better than the cool pads is because it does a bit of suction and push, removing hot air quickly and keeping the general area cooler...

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-A...=laptop+cooler

I'm not recommending the above product, this is just a sample of what you can look for and buy after due diligence....

Closed Thread