Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Something's fried...But how can I be sure?

This is a discussion on Something's fried...But how can I be sure? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Earlier today, I unhooked everything in my room to clean behind the computer desk. After finishing and sorting things out,

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #1

Earlier today, I unhooked everything in my room to clean behind the computer desk.
After finishing and sorting things out, I opened the computer case and cleaned the inside with a new can of compressed air.
It had gotten rather dusty...pretty badly.

Finished up, hooked the system back up and tried booting.
This is where things, obviously, went wrong.

The computer wouldn't start up.
Immediately, the PSU, Processor and case fans started up, and began running rapidly.
The processor one especially, had begun running insanely fast.
One of the more disturbing noises, is a pretty bad grinding type of noise from the processor fan.
From the moment it 'starts' to when I have to force shutdown.
All you can hear is the fans going crazy, and an intense grinding noise.

There's no signal to the monitor.
The front lights will go on.
The CD-drive light will flash.
No wires are rubbing against the fans.
But that's all, it'll continue running like this until i'm forced to shut it down.
I've tried airing out the fan+heatsink over the processor with the compressed air again.
I've also tried airing out the PSU...just to be safe.

But it still starts like this.
I don't know what todo.
How can I check if somethings fried?

Also, the processor fan will continue it's grinding noise for a few seconds after power is removed.

It's never made these sounds before, and nothing is inside the fan/heatsink.
What went wrong?

EDIT:
Reading further posts regarding beep noises from the BIOS to determine what's faulty...
...There is no beeping.
At all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2008, 11:01 PM   #2

You probably blew dust into the bearings of you CPU fan causing that grinding sound you hear, it will probably fail eventually, but should last long enough for you to get a new fan or heatsink/fan combo.

Otherwise, it sounds like your computer maybe starting up, except no video. Look at you HD activity light, if it is flickering then you computer is most likely booting up. Double check you video connection, if you have a video card take it out and re-seat it then try again. If you don't have a video card and your mobo has a video card slot that matches a video card you have in another computer, put it in and see if you can see anything.

Also, double check all you power connections and make sure they are properly connected.

Others may disagree, but I don't believe in blowing out dust in the computer, especially if it is running ok. I will lightly vacuum up as much as I can without touching the mobo, memory, cards etc. If bad enough, I will blow out the dust from a PSU and heatsink (w/o fan), but only after I remove the PSU and heatsink and then blow it out away from the rest of the computer.
Closed Thread