Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Something is failing. Not sure what.

This is a discussion on Something is failing. Not sure what. within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm posting here because i dont actually know whats failing. It could be motherboard, cpu or psu. I've rulled everything

Old 12-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm posting here because i dont actually know whats failing. It could be motherboard, cpu or psu. I've rulled everything else out using old and new equipment.

I upgraded my sytem over the course of the last week. I added a new gfx card and new memory. I added the new card first.

-I had some worrying signs when i installed the new gfx card. It black screened with no signal the first time i put it in then reboot after a minute. It did the same thing when trying to install drivers for the first time.

Once the card was up and running with drivers i installed the new memory. This went ok at first.

I tried to run a benchmark tool to test the new card. I got loads of squeeling and screeching noises from my tower.

Since then it's been bugging out and lagging in several ways. The symptoms are as follows.

-The system runs ok for the first 5mns after boot then lag issues set in
-I get lag trying to open programs and browsers. The computer hangs for a good 3 - 5mns before opening them
-Internet explorer delays for 3 minutes before opening, it hangs for a minute then shuts itself down
-firefox lags but does eventually load. It then lags for several minutes when trying to open pages or new tabs
-Steam fails to load at points with an error message about not being able to create threads
-Sometimes apps arent able to access the internet even though im connected and it says internet access
-While trying to play the game destiny 2, i keep getting kicked from the server for lag even though im able to play it on ps4 without problems.
- I've had 1 loss of signal to the monitor tonight. It went black, hung like that for aprox 5mns then the computer reboot itself. This happened when trying to load a game
-I tried doing ctrl-alt-delete to bring up task manager. It took 4mns for the computer to respond then 3mns for it to load task manager
-I tried to reboot the computer using statmenu/power options. It wouldn't respond at first or reboot after several attempts. It finally responded after aprox 7minutes of waiting.

I know these symptoms arent sever atm but this computer is slowly getting worse and the symptoms are becoming more frequent. Whatever part is causing this hasn't went fully yet but it's about to and i have no idea whats causing it.

What i have done is test the sytem with 2 different sets of ram and run memtest. All came back clear. I've also tested the cpu using intels ipdt and it came back ok. Everything passed. I've also tested it with both old and new gfx cards. The symptoms perssist with both cards.
joseph99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Hope by trial and error you solve this quickly before all goes out. If that happens, you or a shop needs to bench test all components. to find the culprit. There are so many possibilities.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
Game Team Tech

I would check all cables again make none are touching the fans etc, check the power supply all leads from the power supply.

would help if you posted your system specs etc.

Old 12-08-2019, 05:21 AM   #4
Registered Member

Sorry I should have posted my specs. I'll do that now.

Cpu: core i5 3570k ivy bridge
Mother board: msi z77a-g45 gaming
Psu: pc power and cooling silencer 1050w
Gfx: old-2 evga gtx 660 sc 2gb new-msi rtx 2060 ventus xs oc 6gb
Memory: old-8gb Kingston hyper x predator new-16gb Kingston hyper x red
Hdd: 2 1tb Seagate barracuda and 1 2tb Seagate external
Old 12-08-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph99 View Post
Sorry I should have posted my specs. I'll do that now.

Cpu: core i5 3570k ivy bridge
Mother board: msi z77a-g45 gaming
Psu: pc power and cooling silencer 1050w
Gfx: old-2 evga gtx 660 sc 2gb new-msi rtx 2060 ventus xs oc 6gb
Memory: old-8gb Kingston hyper x predator new-16gb Kingston hyper x red
Hdd: 2 1tb Seagate barracuda and 1 2tb Seagate external
Of those components what's in the system now?
Old 12-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #6
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

What BIOS version are you running for that mobo? What OS are are you running?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #7
Registered Member

I'm running bios version 2c. I'm also on windows 10 pro x64.

I'm currently running the older equipment. I swapped the gfx card and memory back to the old stuff just to rule them out. The issues persist on both sets of equipment.

Just to add I'm getting really slow file transfer rates (because I'm backing data up) and the internet is running at a crawl. Also when I just tried to start my system I got a black screen with just a mouse cursor. I had to reboot to get windows to load up and windows hung for a while on the way in. My task bar apps took about 10mns to load.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #8
Registered Member

I've identified the problem. My mother board is faulty. The primary pci express slot has just gone down on me. It no longer sees any of my 3 gfx cards. I get no signal and the board refuses to boot. All 3 cards work in the secondary pci express slot so I have something to work with for now. Also 2 usb dual slots have stopped working on the board. Also the board will sometimes refuse to post. It gets trapped in a boot loop and I have to clear the cmos to get it back.
Like I said, the motherboard has gone.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:05 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph99 View Post
I've identified the problem. My mother board is faulty. The primary pci express slot has just gone down on me. It no longer sees any of my 3 gfx cards. I get no signal and the board refuses to boot. All 3 cards work in the secondary pci express slot so I have something to work with for now. Also 2 usb dual slots have stopped working on the board. Also the board will sometimes refuse to post. It gets trapped in a boot loop and I have to clear the cmos to get it back.
Like I said, the motherboard has gone.
You said you recently upgraded your gfx card and I assume you put it in the first slot. It's reasonable to assume when inserting the card you broke something. Take a close look at the gpu port and see if it is loose, that could be your problem.

But have you double checked all your connection on the MB? There's also a good chance you could have jostled a cable loose. I'd check, re-check, and re-check again all the cable connections.
I had a similar issue when I first installed my MB when it was brand new way back in 2015. Come to find out the MB main power cable was loose...lol.
Madmaxneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:55 PM   #10
Registered Member

Actually it sounds like your machine is suffering from overheating. You should think about removing your CPU heatsink, apply new thermal, and re-install heatsink.
railman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:25 PM   #11
Windows Tech Team Moderator
Hardware Tech Team Moderator

Go with Mad max's recommendation first, it's a reasonable assumption that something came loose. Typically, I'd recommend removing all the components from the case, install only the Mobo, CPU, PSU, RAM and test if you're able to restart multiple times.

Keep adding one component after the other while making sure all the cables/components are fixed well within their slots.

tristar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:17 PM   #12
Registered Member

Sounds like the PSU in the computer case.
CoreyFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote