Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Video Hardware Error when playing flash

4K views 24 replies 4 participants last post by  linderman 
#1 ·
Hello, I was unsure if I should put this in the Video Card support forum or in this forum but I hope I have come to the right place. And I really hope you can help me with this. I wrote my specs furthest down.

The Problem
When I try to use certain flash applications (such as using fullscreen when watching streaming videos on the internet, trying to play the game Machinarium or just visiting a site that uses flash.) I get an error.

First the mouse pointer gets really big, about 10x bigger. Then the computer starts to slow down more and more as the time passes. Finally it crashes with a black screen where you can't do anything. This usually takes about 1-2 mins. Sometimes I am lucky and manages to shut down the computer before it happens.

What I have done to try to fix it
I checked the "Problem Reports and Solutions" which didn't help very much, it basically suggested what I had already done: updating the drivers for my video card. I dowloaded it here, choosing the "Option 2". I restarted and tested but I still have the same problem.

The next thing I did was reinstalling Adobe Flash Player. I did, updated it to the latest (AFP 10 I think) but I still had the same problem.

My Specs
Adobe Ver: Adobe Flash Player 10
CPU: AMD Phenom 8450 Triple-Core Processor
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD4870

I also found this on ATI Catalyst Control Center if it helps:
Primary Adapter
Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by ATI
Graphics Chipset ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Device ID 9440
Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID 2007
Subsystem Vendor ID 1787

Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express 2.0
Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x16

BIOS Version 011.010.000.002
BIOS Part Number 113-SBSJ2G05-00R-00
BIOS Date 2008/10/15

Memory Size 512 MB
Memory Type GDDR5

Core Clock in MHz 200 MHz
Memory Clock in MHz 500 MHz
Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s 62 GByte/s

and:

Driver Packaging Version 8.681-091124a-092499C-ATI
Catalyst® Version 09.12
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 8.01.01.984
2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
Direct3D Version 8.14.10.0716
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.9232
Catalyst® Control Center Version 2008.1201.1504.27008

If you need more specs or a better explanation please say so. :)

If you can help me solve this problem I will be forever grateful!:pray:

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Video Hardware Error when playing flash

What power supply brand name and wattage are you trying to pull that video card with.

Also, slip in to the Bios and check the Hardware Monitor for voltages and temperatures.
I have a Corsair Powersupply 650W Black. So it should be more than enough.

How do I check the Hardware Monitor? Is it starting the computer and then pressing "del" or something?

#5 ·

Ok got it now I think. Here is what I found:

CPU Temp: 42 degrees C
MB Temp: 45 degrees C

VCOR Voltage: 1,328 V
3,3 V Voltage: 3,36V
5V Voltage: 4,972V
12V Voltage: 12,032V

I hope that was the the thing you were looking for.

#8 ·

Ok got it now I think. Here is what I found:

CPU Temp: 42 degrees C
MB Temp: 45 degrees C

VCOR Voltage: 1,328 V
3,3 V Voltage: 3,36V
5V Voltage: 4,972V
12V Voltage: 12,032V

I hope that was the the thing you were looking for.
First of all, I suggest you might want to take my team mate Dogg's advice and see if that gives you any better results.

In addition, I have reviewed our earlier exchanges and when reviewing the bios temps have a little concern about your idle temps (bios shows idle temps). Normally, while not terribly high, those should be in the mid 30c range.

Download and run SensorviewPro and check the temps at idle (when you first turn it on), and then do the things that cause you issues and check the temps at a point where you think it is going to cause you difficulty (like under stress) and see where those temps and voltages go. This will give us a pattern of temps so we know how high they get.

#7 ·

Have you checked Windows Event Viewer to see if Windows is logging any errors? To rule out the video drivers, "update" your video drivers to a generic Windows driver. Then reboot and uninstall any ATI drivers/software found in Add and Remove programs. Reboot again, and see if the problem continues. If the problem continues, it's likely not video driver related. If the problem doesn't reoccur, then it was likely just corrupt ATI drivers.

#9 ·

Have you checked Windows Event Viewer to see if Windows is logging any errors? To rule out the video drivers, "update" your video drivers to a generic Windows driver. Then reboot and uninstall any ATI drivers/software found in Add and Remove programs. Reboot again, and see if the problem continues. If the problem continues, it's likely not video driver related. If the problem doesn't reoccur, then it was likely just corrupt ATI drivers.
Thank you for responding.

Yes, the Event Viewer says this: (and suggest that I should update my drivers, which I did :) )

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1053

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
WD-20090419-2005.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: FFFFFA8005BA74E0
BCP2: FFFFFA600641DC24
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Also, I tried to install a generic driver and do what you described. I choosed the "roll back driver" option. And then I unistalled the ATI drivers etc. I still got the same problem :(

#11 · (Edited)

Wow, that is strange with the temps staying so close to the opening temperatures.

Let's get back to the video issue. Have you cleaned the old drivers out completely and then reinstalled after they are completely out of there? If not, then I suggest you do that. I am not talking about an uninstall or roll back, but a complete removal of video drivers. Then of course, putting the latest ones back in.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

#12 ·

Wow, that is strange with the temps staying so close to the opening temperatures.

Let's get back to the video issue. Have you cleaned the old drivers out completely and then reinstalled after they are completely out of there? If not, then I suggest you do that. I am not talking about an uninstall or roll back, but a complete removal of video drivers. Then of course, putting the latest ones back in.

Maybe my cooler is...cool? Sorry for that... Thanks.

I di as you said, used the program as they recomended on the site. Rebooted, reinstalled. Rebooted and tried again and I still somehow get the same problem :(

Does the text from Event Viewer help at all? Because I think I got more of those reports.

#14 ·

I've got these aswell:

LiveKernelEvent said:
Description

Problem signature

WD-20090725-0110-01.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

BCP1: FFFFFA8007A154E0
BCP2: FFFFFA6006A16C24
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Server information: 9bdaaa8b-a33d-4416-b857-ef57beee564c
LiveKernelEvent said:
Description

Problem signature

WD-20091226-2004.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

BCP1: FFFFFA80051DB010
BCP2: FFFFFA6006819EF0
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Server information: 1b6077ab-9fd9-44fe-8327-fdd2d0410469
I hope that helps somewhat :) Thanks for all the help so far.

#17 · (Edited)

how about when you view a video from youtube, can you make that one open to full screen without troubles?

YouTube - Building my gaming computer

#18 ·

I will bet its a defective video card, you might be able to get a computer shop to test the card for you reasonably? for example, our shop charges $20.00 to install a video card and make sure the trouble you are experiencing is not the fault of the video card

#20 ·

if you can watch a full screen you tube video without trouble, then I would say you have a software problem

you could try removing your drivers with a free program like this one

then reinstall the latest driver from the video manuf website

I would also uninstall all adobe products prior to the repair install

worse case; you may have to perform a windows "repair" install >>>>>this does not mess with programs or data but does remove ALL drivers from the windows system, you would need to reinstall motherboard chipset drivers / sound drivers / lan drivers / video drivers and all windows updates

#21 ·

if you can watch a full screen you tube video without trouble, then I would say you have a software problem

you could try removing your drivers with a free program like this one

then reinstall the latest driver from the video manuf website

I would also uninstall all adobe products prior to the repair install
Ok, It is good that I don't have a hardware problem at least, I suppose they are a bit more expensive to fix. :)

I tried to do as you said, I will list how I did it so you can see if I done something wrong.

1. Unistalled all Adobe products
2. Unistalled all ATI drivers
3. Rebooted
4. Started Windows normally
5. I used Driver Sweeper and cleaned all ATI drivers on the computer
6. Rebooted
7. I reinstalled the Adobe flash products (I also installed Shockwave flash which I didn't have before)
8. I installed the ATI drivers (from ATI's website) and then I rebooted again
9. Tried to run flash again and the same problem as before occured :sigh:

So that still doesn't work it seems. I guess I'll have to try to do the "repair install" then?

#22 ·

Sorry for double post... I turned off "Hardware Acceleration" in settings on Adobe Flash players and it doesn't seem to be crashing now. I don't get any big pointers or any other errors either atm :)

Will test it a bit more but it seems like it works now.

I found it in this thread by the way: Link

#24 ·

It works perfectly now! Fancy that it would be such a simple solution hehe.
Well, thanks for all the help! I really appriciate it. It's people like you who renews my hope in mankind.
And I know that sounds really corny but I mean it. Thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.