Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

[SOLVED] New Rig Couple Freezes & Blue Screen

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] New Rig Couple Freezes & Blue Screen within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently finished a new build. Specs are under my name. I've had it running maybe 2 days so far.

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I recently finished a new build. Specs are under my name. I've had it running maybe 2 days so far. It's all running very nicely so far minus a few hiccups. The whole PC has frozen up twice while running steam games, and just today I got what I'm seeing from google is commonly referred to as a "Windows Blue Screen System Dump."

Now I'm typically not used to running high end games on PC so this might be completely normal (I know my ps3 freezes all the darn time depending on the game) but I just wanted to check if maybe there was something I missed (drive wise maybe?) when installing everything or if I'm just worrying over nothing. I would have posted on my original build thread but decided this was a new topic on a new build, needed new thread.

I ran the disc that came with the mobo so I'm assuming the chipset doesn't need anything else. Besides that I really didn't do any other drivers minus what came on the motherboard disc, and my graphics card disc.

Am I just being neurotic here? The blue screen sorta tweaked me out a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Driver wise, check the manufacturers website for ALL of your hardware (ie: motherboard, video card, any other addon hardware). The CDs that ship with hardware are typically outdated before the hardware even hits the stores.

Aside from that, watch the STOP or ERROR code. It will typically point you in the right direction.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
Emeritus

Do the problems only occur when gaming and what games do you experience the problems in?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Pretty sure it was while gaming all three times. I'll make sure to keep a log in the future if it happens again. Believe I was on Starbound and Path Of Exile.

I heard temp is usually popular reason for crashes but I think all my temps look okay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	42
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	160346  
Old 02-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

By the way, did you mistake SATA for SSD in your profile or did you really put a 160GB SATA HD into a new build?
Old 02-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidify View Post
By the way, did you make a mistake SATA for SS in your profile or did you really put a 160GB SATA HD into a new build?
No mistake. I REALLY put a 160GB SATA hdd in a new build. The old rig was running that with a 160GB IDE but I wanted to bring everything over to new connectors and not transport anything like IDE over to this rig. I was salvaging what I could from my old build and trying to stay under a budget. I use an external hdd for all my media and plan on throwin' like a 750gb or 1tb in there in the future when I get the funds to upgrade further. Lol. You're like,"REALLY?" Heh'. That and 2 more of the same ram in ports 3 and 4 are my future upgrade plans for summer when I get back to work.

P.S. Wanna let me use one of your Solidify? You seem to have an extra there to spare. j/k
Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Damn brother, you need to upgrade!

I'd send you one but I relly pretty heavily on storage at the moment, and in the nick of time that mechanical drives have began steadily declining in price. One 1TB is my main OS drive and the other 1TB is a backup of the C: drive (main) that runs daily. The 500GB and 3TB are for... media.

Running out of SATA ports though.

Edit: Assuming your external HD is USB, why don't you just strip it and use it as an internal HD for faster read and write speeds (SATA)? Atleast in the meantime...
Old 02-21-2014, 05:52 AM   #8
Emeritus

Did you do a clean OS install on the Hdd after it was transferred to the new build?

Old 02-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Damn brother, you need to upgrade!

I'd send you one but I relly pretty heavily on storage at the moment, and in the nick of time that mechanical drives have began steadily declining in price. One 1TB is my main OS drive and the other 1TB is a backup of the C: drive (main) that runs daily. The 500GB and 3TB are for... media.

Running out of SATA ports though.
That's crazy you're running out of SATA, lol. I remember when I plugged this all in thinking "damn this thing has a lot of SATA ports." Like 8 I think. HDD really are going down in price. I'm setting the budget at 50-60$ when I do get around to the upgrade this summer, and I'm hoping I can score at least 750GB for that cash. You've got a lot of media! I transfered all my comics that I haven't read to my tablet and deleted the rest that I'd read, went threw the videos that I don't watch, and decided to stop storing music (till the upgrade) and use grooveshark. So I'll put the few games I have on this C:, rest of the media on the external, and manage till the upgrade.

Quote:
Edit: Assuming your external HD is USB, why don't you just strip it and use it as an internal HD for faster read and write speeds (SATA)? Atleast in the meantime...
Few reasons I don't do that. First being it's not an actual full size hdd. It's one of the smaller ones for laptops, consoles, etc. It's actually the 160GB that came in my ps3 when I bought it, heh'. Other reason would be I actually do use it for traveling and portability. It's not exclusively for this PC. It's pretty handy having 160GB portable storage. Except when I run into devices with only 1 usb port. (this darn thing required two ports to power up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
Did you do a clean OS install on the Hdd after it was transferred to the new build?
Yes.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
it's not an actual full size hdd
That shouldn't matter. Most modern cases can accommodate 2.5" hard drives. But if you say you need it for portability then never mind. I tend to discourage external HDDs for users with desktops unless, like in your case, you need it for portability.

Edit:

Also:

Quote:
Driver wise, check the manufacturers website for ALL of your hardware
Quote:
watch the STOP or ERROR code [...] when you get the BSOD
Old 02-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Open Event Viewer and look out for errors, specifically under System logs, for any errors logged in there. There could be entries for the BSOD crash.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #12
Registered Member

My System

I'm not sure what exactly event viewer is, but I'll look into it later tonight. I'll also check the motherboard drivers and graphics card drivers on their appropriate company sites.

The thing that turns me off from getting up to date drivers is I typically don't know exactly which one is mine, which vers., etc, etc. It tends to get a bit confusing and usually ends up in downloading multiple drivers and what not which I tend to try not to download and run lots of random things.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

When you visit the manufacturer's website, they usually ask you questions about your computer such as OS and architecture (32 vs 64-bit) to narrow down your download options. Only pick the drivers that you need. A lot of times, manufacturers will also have a download for a wizard that you will help guide you through installing the latest drivers on your system. this is also an option for you. If you choose the latter, you do not need to worry about choosing the latest driver version since it will do it for you. however, if you're downloading the driver's individually, assuming you've provided the correct system information and that the download options/results have been appropriately narrow down, pick the driver version that is the most recent.

If you're still having trouble, let us know and someone will link you to the appropriate drivers.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:01 PM   #14
Registered Member

My System

Yeah, I understand the basics of how to do it but I run into minor problems. Here, I'll describe them.

For the graphics card I see I can see my current driver version in device manager no problem. I literally couldn't use their drop down menu on asus support to get my card. Tried r7, copy/paste whole name, etc. So I did manage to find it by googling asus r7 support.

Graphics Cards - R7260X-DC2OC-2GD5

So, looking at this page. First thing I see is two drivers under VGA. Now they both appear to work for Windows 7. So how am I to know which one? Either way I see they were both 13.20 which is what I have so it appears I'm up to date. However that's just an example of what I meant when I say it's confusing sometimes. Side note, think that GPU tweak does anything worth my time?...

Now for the motherboard. A little more confusing. I was able to use the drop down to find my page.

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 1.0)

Problem here is I don't see a motherboard under device manager. So I'm actually not sure how to see my driver version in Windows 7 and most google searches are telling me to download stuff. So I see audio, chipset, lan, sata raid, and usb 3.0. Well from first to last audio is obvious, chipset (is this my drivers?), lan the lan plug in mobo for net, sata raid (not too sure), usb 3.0 obviously the plugs in the motherboard for usb.

Is the chipset also "the motherboard drivers?" I was under the impression the two were two different things. If they are one in the same then I found my drivers, however how do I check the vers. of the current drivers so I can confirm if they are needed or not? I don't know where I got the idea, but I was under the impression messing with "chipset" was a little more complex than the simpler scenario of other hardware and "old driver, get new driver, install driver, done."
Old 02-22-2014, 12:17 AM   #15
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shewillnotdie
...First thing I see is two drivers under VGA. Now they both appear to work for Windows 7. So how am I to know which one? Either way I see they were both 13.20 which is what I have so it appears I'm up to date. However that's just an example of what I meant when I say it's confusing sometimes...
The difference between the two drivers listed is that the top most one dated 2013.11.29 is Windows Certified. It is WHQL tested and signed, so basically you should always install WHQL certified drivers if they are available for your devices. That said, you'd want to install the first one and not the second one. More info about WHQL can be found here WHQL Testing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and here WHQL Release Signature (Windows Drivers).

Quote:
Now for the motherboard. A little more confusing. I was able to use the drop down to find my page.

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 1.0)

Problem here is I don't see a motherboard under device manager. So I'm actually not sure how to see my driver version in Windows 7 and most google searches are telling me to download stuff. So I see audio, chipset, lan, sata raid, and usb 3.0. Well from first to last audio is obvious, chipset (is this my drivers?), lan the lan plug in mobo for net, sata raid (not too sure), usb 3.0 obviously the plugs in the motherboard for usb.

Is the chipset also "the motherboard drivers?" I was under the impression the two were two different things. If they are one in the same then I found my drivers, however how do I check the vers. of the current drivers so I can confirm if they are needed or not? I don't know where I got the idea, but I was under the impression messing with "chipset" was a little more complex than the simpler scenario of other hardware and "old driver, get new driver, install driver, done."
Instead of worrying about the driver versions reported in Device Manager, you should always get the latest drivers for your system from the manufacturer's website whenever they become available. From the listed drivers, I can see drivers released in 2013 and 2014 while some were released in 2012. I believe the 2013 and 2014 drivers are the latest releases and they are Chipset (2014) and USB 3.0 (2013).

Since this is a new build, you should install ALL device drivers listed namely: Chipset, Audio, LAN and USB3.0. Always begin with chipset drivers first then the others. All four devices are integrated on your motherboard, so when you're referring to mobo drivers, you are indeed referring to the drivers for the chipset, lan, audio, usb3 and all the other stuff intergrated on your motherboard.

In Device manager you won't find a device called Motherboard nor will you find a device called Chipset, but you will find the audio, lan, USB controllers, SATA controllers and much more, which are ALL part of your motherboard.

Now go ahead and install all of the drivers mentioned except the SATA/RAID/AHCI pre-install drivers.

As for Event Viewer, Google is your friend. Once you've browsed the logs, post back any errors that you'll find in there.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:15 AM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
All four devices are integrated on your motherboard, so when you're referring to mobo drivers, you are indeed referring to the drivers for the chipset, lan, audio, usb3 and all the other stuff integrated on your motherboard.
This is a key piece of information. I had this problem when I first began building which is why I appreciate that you took the time to clear that up, Stancestans.

I feel that part of the reason you have a hard time understand which drivers are needed is because you don't understand the features and functions of a motherboard. If you knew that the chipset, LAN, audio and USB 3.0 are all sub-components on the motherboard, this would have been a lot easier for you. I picture you looking for an actual motherboard driver.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:59 AM   #17
Emeritus

When in doubt, just install the drivers from the Mobo CD. They commonly have an "Auto" install and that will insure the proper drivers are installed. Once up and running, you can install the latest drivers from the Mobo manufacturer's site.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #18
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
The difference between the two drivers listed is that the top most one dated 2013.11.29 is Windows Certified. It is WHQL tested and signed, so basically you should always install WHQL certified drivers if they are available for your devices. That said, you'd want to install the first one and not the second one. More info about WHQL can be found here WHQL Testing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and here WHQL Release Signature (Windows Drivers).

Instead of worrying about the driver versions reported in Device Manager, you should always get the latest drivers for your system from the manufacturer's website whenever they become available. From the listed drivers, I can see drivers released in 2013 and 2014 while some were released in 2012. I believe the 2013 and 2014 drivers are the latest releases and they are Chipset (2014) and USB 3.0 (2013).

Since this is a new build, you should install ALL device drivers listed namely: Chipset, Audio, LAN and USB3.0. Always begin with chipset drivers first then the others. All four devices are integrated on your motherboard, so when you're referring to mobo drivers, you are indeed referring to the drivers for the chipset, lan, audio, usb3 and all the other stuff intergrated on your motherboard.

In Device manager you won't find a device called Motherboard nor will you find a device called Chipset, but you will find the audio, lan, USB controllers, SATA controllers and much more, which are ALL part of your motherboard.

Now go ahead and install all of the drivers mentioned except the SATA/RAID/AHCI pre-install drivers.

As for Event Viewer, Google is your friend. Once you've browsed the logs, post back any errors that you'll find in there.
Ah, that makes sense. So always go for a WHQL. It's odd they wouldn't just remove the non WHQL and replace it with the WHQL. Anyhow, I downloaded that one for the graphic card because the date was newer however when running it it said what I had was most current. Which, the ver. matches, their's just had a newer date.

I installed all the mentioned drivers.

I planned on googling the event viewer but I honestly just forgot. I have a brief understand of what it general does but I'm not quite sure how to navigate to what I'd be looking for for a BSOD error that happened days ago. I googled that a bit but no real descriptive guide.

Quote:
This is a key piece of information. I had this problem when I first began building which is why I appreciate that you took the time to clear that up, Stancestans.

I feel that part of the reason you have a hard time understand which drivers are needed is because you don't understand the features and functions of a motherboard. If you knew that the chipset, LAN, audio and USB 3.0 are all sub-components on the motherboard, this would have been a lot easier for you. I picture you looking for an actual motherboard driver.
You picture accurately, lol. You'd think after all this time I'd have a better grasp on some of this stuff. Meh'. Well, I do understand the components of the motherboard as far as audio, lan, usb, etc. I guess I just don't understand what the "chipset" is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
When in doubt, just install the drivers from the Mobo CD. They commonly have an "Auto" install and that will insure the proper drivers are installed. Once up and running, you can install the latest drivers from the Mobo manufacturer's site.
Which is actually what I've done here. I did use the disc initiately. Now I'm just trying to go threw the process of seeing what is and isn't up to date and updating what needs to be updated.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Event Viewer is just what its name infers: it's a utility that allows you to view each event that occurred on your system, in somewhat greater detail than you'd see it taking place before you.

If I may, I believe Stancestans is proposing that you use Event Viewer to gather more information on what has caused (or still causing) these Blue Screens. Here are instructions on how to open Event Viewer (alternatively, you can search Event Viewer in the Windows menu (bottom left, start menu)). Once open, in the left side panel, expand the Windows Logs section and then double-click System.

The events are now listed in the center of the page. Click Date and Time at the top to organize the events accordingly. Then scroll through the entries to find any yellow or red exclamation points/asterisks around the time of your crashes.

It's easier to pin-point an event when it happened recently so you may find better luck in waiting for the next BSOD.

Post back with your results.

Quote:
You'd think after all this time I'd have a better grasp on some of this stuff.
You're doing alright. With time. I was afraid to open my computer case when I joined TSF. Look at me now.

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't know about WHQL before Stancestans explained it.

Quote:
I just don't understand what the "chipset" is.
This will get you started: Chipset - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
As easy as it can be explained, if you ask me:
Old 02-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #20
Registered Member

My System

I'm not gonna lie. It's still a bit confusing to me HOWEVER it makes much more sense now and I believe I have a pretty good idea of the "chipset."

Thx for that. As far as the bsod, I haven't had one since. So going forward, if I happen to experience this again I'll know to pull up event viewer immediately after to find a log and then find a cause for the problem. If anyone researching bsod for windows 7 happens to stumble upon this hopefully they'll see this info and know to find that event viewer log as a good first step.

And now my tsf thread is literally shrunken width wise to maybe a 12th of my actual screen so that wasn't the easiest to read. Sometimes I feel the problems never end, lol.

Thx for the input guys.
Closed Thread