Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] My New "Top Notch" PC Does not POST

2K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  Tyree 
#1 · (Edited)
Dear all,

I have just finished building my new computer but it does not want to post.

Everything is new but I have had the motherboard for almost 3 years now. (I was forced to use my money on something else) but I never used it it was just sitting there in the attic I never even opened the box.

My Specs:

Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W PSU
ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution Mobo
Intel Core i7 980 6 Core CPU
Coolermaster V10 CPU Cooler
Corsair 6x 2GB DDR3 Dominators
ASUS ENGTX560 TI Direct CUII 1GB DDR5 Video Card
ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3
WD Velociraptor 500GB Hard disk
Windows 7 64x Ultimate
Antec Nine Hundred Case

I have done all below and all ends up with the same problem;

Used a different monitor
Checked every single connection
reseated everything
Checked all pins if they are bend
Removed the Xonar card
Tested another video card
Tested video cards in different slots
Tested minimum required ram to boot (manual says the computer will not boot with just 1 stick installed) switched sticks and switched them between slots ( I do not have another pair of DDR3's so the same were used)
Tested the rig outside the case to rule out shorting (read that somewhere on the net a few hours ago)
Cleared CMOS

Installed a pc speaker and gave everything above another go but there are no beeps at all.
I do not have another PSU and I do not have another CPU and mobo
The PSU works just fine in my AMD computer that I was using before I took it apart so I could install my new items in the same case 3 Days ago.

The GP diagnostic card begins with code 89 and then goes to b9 both codes are not mentioned any were in the manual, asus site or the net.

So when I press the on button everything turns on I can hear my HD loading all the leds are burning green and blue and all fans are running nicely however there is nothing displayed on the monitor and the heartbeat on this board does nothing... since the heartbeat does nothing and since what it's called does this mean my board is dead?? Literally. I know I have been having it for a while but I have not done anything with it I haven’t even moved the box since storage. Is this possible?!?

Any help is MUCH MUCH appreciated

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: My New "Top Notch" PC Does not POST

Remove all RAM, boot, listed for beep codes from the Mobo speaker. No RAM & no beeps indicates a Mobo problem. If you get the no RAM beep code, test on the bench.

Remove EVERYTHING from the case.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 pin (Dual Core CPU) or 8 pin (Quad Core CPU) power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

#3 ·

Hello Tyree

Thank you for taking the time to help me out!

i have taken all the ram out and try to boot and listen for the beeps but no beeps occur. so that would mean its my motherboard??

i have also tried to boot with just one module with no effect, tried it in a1 b1 and c1 (even that the manual said that it is not possible to boot with one module installed. I already had the board outside of the case..

i even used the screwdriver to compleet that curcuit the pc came on end then the same..

Do you have anything on that heartbeat theory of mine? or is that just a show feature??

Thanks again!!

#5 ·

Hi Tyree,

I have been looking and searching for new and all information about this.. i came across something tha could also be the problem..

I bought the mobo about 3 years ago.. but the CPU i just ordered last week. The 6 core i7 980 the asus site says it is compatible since bios 0905 the board says it has revision 1.01. I'm still not getting ANY beeps from the pc speaker. how do i update a bios if i can't get to it?? is it not so that the board should still post even if that bios version does not support the full capabilitys of the CPU, that is it will just downgrade it so it can post??

#7 ·

I bought the mobo about 3 years ago.. but the CPU i just ordered last week. The 6 core i7 980 the asus site says it is compatible since bios 0905 the board says it has revision 1.01.
The above would have been some good info to include in the OP. :smile:
As gcvan has noted, you will have to use a CPU that is compatible with your Mobo to do the Bios update.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- EZ Flash 2 - the safest way to update BIOS

#6 ·

If current version of BIOS does not support the new processor, most boards will generally not POST at all. In a few instances, where the proc is a new model of a series which is supported, it may be recognized, but this seldom happens.

You will need to reinstall the old processor (or one which is supported) and confirm stability of your system before attempting to update system BIOS.

#11 ·

Dear All,

I have some new information..

I happened to come across an old pc speaker and decided to replace the one i had installed with this one.. and it turns out the other one was not working for some reason.. i started it up and it started to beep. exellent!! i started at the beginning.. i cleared the mobo from everything except for the CPU HSF and needed power (24 an 8 pins) it beeped as it should, that there is no memory installed. good, but then i installed one stick an then silence it did not beep and it does this with all the sticks.. i read from another post that this indicates that the memory is shorting out my PSU.. also i have found out that the DIAG CPU led is not burning like the DIAG led of the Memory, it blinks 2 or 3 times and then in shuts of i happened to see it nou cause i installed the stock intel cooler that came with the cpu instead of the v10.

so is it the psu?? it was working fine in my other rig (AMD) or is it the memory?? or is the other post not right about this..

Thank You!!

#12 ·

i read from another post that this indicates that the memory is shorting out my PSU
I would be extremely surprised if this were so. The memory may be faulty, but I really believe your problem is no cpu support in BIOS.

As you say in your first post, the board has been in storage for three years, therefore installed BIOS must be at least that old. The required version 0905 BIOS was released in March 2011.

#14 ·

Dear All,

Thank You All for helping me out!! it was the BIOS version..

I installed an older CPU and it booted.. flashed the bios and then i put in the i7 980 and guess what.. it worked as it supposed to!

Thank u All again!!

Kind Regards:dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.