Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Is my BIOS screwed up?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Is my BIOS screwed up? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey everyone, So I have a long and sad story I have been trying to fix for a while now.

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey everyone,

So I have a long and sad story I have been trying to fix for a while now. About two weeks ago, my old video card (an old Geforce 8800gt blew out during boot up. I tried to get it to work, but when I booted up it would always crash and I would have to force power down.

So I went to the store and picked up a brand new Shiny GeForce GTS 450. I made sure it was usable with my 400W power source, took it home, wiped all my old drivers, installed new drivers, cleaned my registry and thought everything would be fine.

Unfortunately, everything was not fine. Random programs would take up lots of CPU usage, about 25 percent. Many would freeze on startup, and if they ran they would run horribly. One of the biggest culprits was flash video which, while it worked fine before now chugs along at a horrible frame rate. What was OK at one point was **** at another point. I was really confused.

I have tried nearly everything I could to fix this. I have uninstalled all the programs in question (just a few of which being firefox, trillian, skype, word, steam, rocketdock, and much more). I have uninstalled and reinstalled java, .net, and c++ runtimes, as well as adobe flash. I have reseated the ram and graphics cards several times and given the whole thing a blast of compressed air. I have installed all windows updates and uninstalled all but the most needed programs and yet it still happens. I have done everything short of reformatting the computer which I can't do because the computer does not have a working CD/DVD drive (the laser blew a while back and since i never really used it much I never replaced it.)

While talking with one of my friends, he said my BIOS could have been screwed up in all the power up/power down action that was going on when my video card blew, and that it could explain the strange random fluctuations in my CPU usage.

My question is, is this the case? Could my BIOS be screwed up, and if so what steps do I have to take to fix it?

System Properties

Manufacturer: Gateway
Model: FX7026
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50 GHZ
Ram: 4 GB
Windows Vista 64 bit Service Pack 2

Can someone please help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Emeritus

400W, even a good quality brand, is not enough power for a GTS 450 and that could have contributed to the failure of your 8800GT. We suggest a minimum 550W for any PCI-E GPU.
This 620W SeaSonic would be a great choice and it's the best bang for buck in that range: Newegg.com - SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Old 02-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you, I am going to upgrade my power supply. I'm aware of that. However, my computer ran fine on 400W with the 8800, or at least it ran smoothly, and it is NOT running smoothly now. I want to get it fixed before I sink any more money into it. Do you guys think its a BIOS problem or just a power supply problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 12:28 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

just power

running overloaded it has reduced the power output and the most likely reason it no longer works

550 is low these days so you may be able to borrow one to check with

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...on-192217.html

Old 02-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hey all,

For the record I went ahead and flashed my BIOS to the most recent version. My computer is running like a dream now, even on a 400W power supply. Still gonna upgrade my power supply, just to be on the safe side, but everything stopped as soon as I upgraded the BIOS.

I can't believe I've been trying to fix this for two weeks and that's all I had to do.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

glad you have it sorted

Closed Thread