Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

[SOLVED] I think I fried my CPU

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] I think I fried my CPU within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, thanks for having this forum. I'm sorry to say that I had allowed dust to build up in my

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, thanks for having this forum.

I'm sorry to say that I had allowed dust to build up in my CPU heat sink and the computer froze up and now won't boot.

I cleaned the heat sink and put in new thermal compound but it just sits there with no boot information on the screen.

Is my CPU fried? This is an Intel I7 975 Are there any other options to try?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello okrobie and welcome to TSF,

Is this a custom-build or an OEM PC???

Please list your full system specs.

If it is an OEM PC, please list the Brand and full model number along with any upgrades you have done.

If it is custom built, please list the full specs, including the Brand/Model/Wattage of your PSU.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi gavinzach, thanks for the reply.

The system is custom built. The system board is an ASROCK X58 Extreme. The power supply is 600 watts. I it has a full load of memory but I can't remember how much that is. Could it be 4GB?

I don't know what other system specs you need. I hope I have given enough. The system board and CPU types should tell it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Emeritus

CPU's are pretty bullet proof.
Have you chacked all the connections?
Remove all but one stick of RAM and try to boot.
It is very difficult to assist you when we don't know what we're working on.
Remove the case side and look at the label on the PSU to get the Brand Name & Model Number/
Brand & Model of the GPU?

Old 08-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

I need the Brand and Model of the PSU as well.

RAM - Brand(s) #of DIMMs
Video Card - Brand/Model
HDD - Brand

Again... the brand and model of the PSU is very important. The information should be printed on a label affixed to the PSU.

I doubt the CPU is fried... there are failsafes built in that prevent catastrophic overheating and CPUs are nearly bulleteproof... (proverbially speaking, not literally )

I suggest performing a bench-test as outlined in the sticky for troubleshooting purposes.
https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...em-262998.html
Old 08-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for your patience. Here is the stuff you asked for, but in the meantime I will go through the benchtest sticky.

PSU X-Power Pro 600W
Memory 3AXH1600C8WS6GT 2GB 6 sticks
GPU Sparkle SFPX94GT1024U2
HDD Samsung HD103SI
Old 08-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
Registered Member

I went through the sticky on basic computer troubleshooting and with your encouragement, I'm beginning to believe that my CPU is not the main suspect.

My first suspicion is for the GPU. Since I'm not seeing any POST information on the screen and I'm not seeing a green light on the monitor power switch. Only problem is I don't happen to have a spare GPU to prove it out.
I guess I'll work on getting a substitute GPU as a test.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how I make out.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I would also try another psu as that is an Hec which is serious crap I'm sorry to say and it could have coincidentally just gone out at the same time.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

My first suspicion is your low quality PSU.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:24 AM   #10
Emeritus

Ditto on the PSU.
If you're GPU has failed the PSU could have been the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrobie View Post
Memory 3AXH1600C8WS6GT 2GB 6 sticks
If you have 6 X 2GB RAM sticks try removing 3 of them. 6GB is more than enough and filling all the RAM slots can cause Voltage issues.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
Registered Member

Well, I tried a GPU and the symptom didn't change. So now I'm getting a power supply tester. I'll keep you all informed of my progress. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #12
Registered Member

Well, I got a new power supply. Corsair Enthusiast 750W. But I still have the same symptom. No video at all, no POST. It sounds like it is booting up but no other indication. The DVD drive blinks 5 blinks and the HDD indicator LED flashes for a second. I've got 1 memory stick in it. What's next? Thanks for your help.

P.S. it keeps automatically shutting off after about a minute
Old 09-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #13
Emeritus

It's a good possibility the old PSU did some damage.
Do a bench test.
Remove EVERYTHING from the case.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #14
Registered Member

Thanks Tyree, I have done all that and the result is the same.

No POST, no beep, no lights on the mother board. There is a two digit hexadecimal display on the mobo and it is blank also. Of course the CPU fan comes on.

Is there a way to definitely rule out the CPU and/or Mother Board as the cause of the problem short of substitution? As of now I have replaced the PSU and GPU.

Thanks again.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

The two digit display is for showing POST error codes. If it is remaining blank, it is a good indication that the motherboard has failed.

You disconnected everything from the board except the bare necessities when you performed the bench test (CPU/RAM/VIDEO/PSU) right?
Old 09-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #16
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I think it almost has to be the board if anything works the cpu is most likely ok.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #17
Registered Member

Hi Gavinzach, thanks for the reply. Yes, I followed Tyree's suggestion to the letter. Removed the mobo from the case and all.

I guess the mother board is better option than the CPU.

Hi Rich-m, thanks for your opinion. I guess that's the beginning of a consensus. The only thing that seems to be working is the on board network adapter. It seems to be blinking as it should although it hasn't turned green.

I'm looking for more input so I can be absolutely sure before I spend the big bucks.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to Niram

Best way to be sure it's the mobo is to try all other parts on a different motherboard. If everything works, your mobo doesn't!
Old 09-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #19
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Remove the ram and try and boot and it should beep. If it doesn't your motherboard is toast.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to Niram

if he has a mobo speaker then yes, that works
Closed Thread