Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Help with BIOS flashing, cpu overclocking and being stupid

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Help with BIOS flashing, cpu overclocking and being stupid within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey all. This is kinda a long story so here goes. These are my basic comp specs: Elite Groups AM2+

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

Hey all. This is kinda a long story so here goes.

These are my basic comp specs:
Elite Groups AM2+ 780GM-M3 mobo
AMD Athlon II x4 620 propus cpu
GSkill 1066 DDR2 2GB x2 ram
Western Digital 140GB SATA hard drive
ATI Radeon HD 5750 video card

I have overclocked my cpu to 2.8ghz since that was all my mobo and bios seemed to be able to allow(I've seen articles where people push this cpu to 3.6ghz). Also this GSkill ram has problems apparently running at 1066 even though they sell it as 1066 advertised, I have been on their forum to see why this was and we worked it out so that my ram was running at 800mhz 4-4-4-12-20 timing(which is pretty equal to 1066 7-7-7-24).

A week ago I started noticing drops in fps in my games and on the aero desktop. I've had these drops before and figured it was due to over heating or dry paste on my cpu/gpu. Took my rig apart and noticed that he paste was fine and still viscus. So then I ran some benchmarks and stress tests to monitor my cpu/gpu temps and they were at around 28C/40C idle, 40C/55C max stress. All clear here, right? So then I start to think maybe I got a virus or malware that's slowing me down, ran 5 different scans after 5 cold boots, all clear. Hmmm, I started to wonder what could be causing my comp to slow down, so I ran some more cpu heavy stress tests and noticed that my cpu was dragging. Normally the multipler on this cpu is at 13x giving it 2.6ghz but mine was at 4x pushing up to 7x and 9.5x during some parts of the tests, never reaching 13x.

So I thought maybe my overclocking was having some negative effect on my cpu(even though I have been running this setup for around 2 years). After hours of fiddling with the VERY minimun settings the Elite Groups BIOS offered I couldn't get any normal readings from my cpu 4x or 7x never 13x. So I started to become exprimental with the BIOS, this is where my stupidity comes in. I flashed my bios with a BIOSTAR mobo's bios. I figured if I get a mobo with very similar specs maybe the bios will let me tweak the cpu better. Also I tried to get bios from a mobo that is frequently used to overclock this particular cpu. Again I know how stupid this was. The first Bios flash worked fine, but the cpu was still at x4 . So I searched some more and found Bios for an ASUS mobo that allows you to set the multiplier directly, FINALLY I though... I set the multipler to x13 reboot and brought up cpu-id, x4!!! So I figured that these bios must be so different from the ones needed for my mobo that they dont even have an effect on the options. Ok I'll just go back to my old bios and try some other things to see if I can fix my slow down problem.

Little did I know, but the most recent version of BIOS that I flashed on my mobo "Doesn't support AFU". So now I couldn't get rid of these BIOS by using an AFU flasher. So I tried to use an AMI flasher and I got the message "Chipset/Flash was undeteced. This function will be invalid." So I tried using AwardBIOS Flasher, "NOT AN AWARD BIOS BINARY!!!"

So I tried to find another AwardBIOS to hopefully step-by-step revert back to my 780gm bios. After an hour of sitting at "Please Wait!!" I turned off my comp.

Now when my system boots it still boots the previous ASUS BIOS it read No Keyboard Detected.

This is a mighty big hole I've dug and I hope we can try to get me out together.

First I will let this post sit over night to let myself cool down and let the replies and advice come in. Second I think I will try a PS/2 keyboard to see if that works, if not I'll try to unplug all my USB devices except the keyboard to see if that works. Then I'll be out of options. I suppose I can always buy another mobo, one that is a bit better for overclocking but anything that can save me the trouble of that and salvage my current setup is my primary objective.

Hope you guys are ready to tackle this bad boy(after which I hope we can try to figure out the causes of my slowdown in performance) and thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #2
Emeritus

A bad Bios flash can render a Mobo useless and it is more than possible you have done just that.
PC BIOS reprogramming, replacement, recovery

Old 02-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the link but I'm not giving up quite yet. I was successful in hooking up a PS/2 keyboard and it working. I have a copy of the correct bios that I need on my HD and I can find it by using the built-in EZ FLASH from ASUS on my current bios, but I get a message saying "Bad Build Block" or something similar to that when I try to flash. Also my current BIOS doesn't seem to recognize any usb devices, as I have a usb boot drive with AMIFLASH, AFUFLASH and AWARDFLASH on it, as well as 5 different bios binaries but I can't access them. Is there anyway to just brute force a bios flash? Some key command that can override these "Bad Boot Block" messages will be a saving grace but it might be too simple to hope for.

That website you pointed to wants 20-30 dollars for a new chip, when it would cost 40-60 for a new mobo (similar to my current one) with better overclocking capabilities so I don't think its worth it right now for me, but thanks anyway.

So like I'm saying, right now my mobo isn't completely useless, it still POSTs and I can use a PS/2 keyboard to navigate. If i procede to boot windows I get a BSOD that says my current bios doesn't support ACPI or something like that. Any kind of "tricks of the trade" that can help me would be what I'm looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

with asus you can usually recover your bios from the setup cd

check your manual

never update a bios online

what power supply

brand
model
wattage

Old 02-24-2012, 03:38 AM   #5
Registered Member

dia I think you misunderstood. I have an Elite Group 780GM-M3 mother board with ASUS BIOS flashed onto it. As far as PSU its

NSpire 450watt nsp-450p4dl

I've taken a harder look at my motherboard and noticed a sticker on a chip that stated AMI BIOS. So when I came across this post in a different forum I became curious.
Code:
For AMI BIOS

Rename the desired AMI BIOS file to AMIBOOT.ROM and save it on a floppy disk. e.g. Rename A569MS23.ROM to AMIBOOT.ROM

Insert this floppy disk in the floppy drive. Turn On the system and press and hold Ctrl-Home to force update. It will read the AMIBOOT.ROM file and recover the BIOS from the A drive.

When 4 beeps are heard you may remove the floppy disk and restart the computer.
Tomorrow I will try to follow these instructions and see if I can get some results.

Also, it seems that all the USB functionality on my board is gone for now. But, I'm persistent and resilient I am still going to try to restore this board.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
Emeritus

Your USB is probably nonfunctional because the Bios is not correct.
You need to use a Bios from the Mobo manufacturer.
I believe your beating a dead horse but best of luck.
You need to replace that poor quality underpowered PSU with a good quality 650W minimum before considering any OC'ing if/when you get the Bios issue corrected.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Registered Member

I'll take your advice on my PSU into consideration, although I've never had a low or insufficient power related issue before with this setup.

Ok, so far I've been able to restore the ASUS BIOS on my machine. I used a method similar to the one above with some variations:

I burned a CD with 780GM-M3.rom renamed to AIMBOOT.ROM, did not have to make this cd bootable, and while turning the computer on I held CTRL + Home (Not sure if this is necessary or just to make me feel good). I was able to load "Start up Repair" from Windows which may or may-not have been what caused my board to restore its USB functionality. After start up repair was finished it said "Was not able to repair the issues" and I selected "Report this error to Microsoft(Recommended)". I restarted my machine and proceeded to load Windows normally. It works!

So now that I have successfully revived this board I'm only back up a few steps. I still need to try and get my original BIOS back on this machine since I still seem to be missing Ethernet capability, this could be a driver related issue but I'm not to sure at this point. Once again when using an AFUFLASHER DOS or Windows, I get the message "AFU not supported by BIOS." And when I try to use the on-BIOS EZ FLASH 2, I get the "Boot Block in file is invalid" message.

So here is where I'm at. I have an AIM based BIOS Motherboard from ECS with AWARD based BIOS from ASUS flashed on my chip. I have full functionality of USB, PCI-E, and Windows 7.

I'm considering formatting my hard drive next to maybe start at square one as far as the OS is concerned. Also, I have an ASUS EEE netbook pc that I've been using to write this thread on actually. It came with a program called "Asus Update" which updates the bios directly from windows. I'm thinking maybe I can use this same program to trick my current BIOS into thinking its getting a direct update from ASUS, but I'm also thinking that its AFU based and will give me the same problem as mentioned above.

I know this whole thread seems too far-fetched to be true but trust me guys, all of this is actually happening real-time to me so please bare with me. My persistence and resilience seems to have paid off for now, so stick with me as I attempt the near impossible, I hope this thread also helps other people in a similar situation to me.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #8
Registered Member

Great news guys!

I was able to restore my original system BIOS by using a program called "Flashrom." After days of tinkering I came up with a message from AMIFLASH that said "Unable to flash because FLASH ROM is undetected, please install PROGRAMMED FLASH ROM and continue." So I went to google and typed in Flash Rom and that's when I was brought to this wonderful program.

At first I was unsure that this program would work for me as when I ran it I got some error messages. But with a little patience I was able to find out that the BIOS I had flashed on my board were actually laptop BIOS . No wonder they were so restrictive in allowing me to flash!

So this is how I ran Flashrom.exe:
I placed it onto my bootable usb drive (Thank goodness that my usb functionality came back!) and proceeded with booting from it.

Once I got to C:/ , I typed: flashrom , and hit enter, without any parameters the program simply probes the flash chip to see what it finds.
The program went through several checks most of which came back as errors! Then I got a warning message saying that laptops aren't supported by this program but if I wanted to I could force the program to "probe read write erase" anyway.

This is the command that saved my board:
C:/flashrom -p internal:laptop=this_is_not_a_laptop -w amiboot.rom

I highly recommend this program to other advanced users like myself(Yes after this debacle I still insist on calling myself advanced ) who have similar flashing issues! I also want to thank you guys for giving me a place to put my thoughts and for the help you offered, even if was to give up!

Next I'll be formatting my hard drive and re installing Windows 7, although I was also considering /installing Ubuntu instead. What do you guys think, Win7 or Ubuntu for the win?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #9
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

i prefer win7

Old 02-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #10
Emeritus

Linux is fine but it is more of a challenge, though it's getting better every year, to use than Windows.
I use Mint and Kubuntu.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I tried out Ubuntu and it works great but you are right Tyree, it's definitely a challenge. Installing the AMD drivers for my card was a tedious process and using Wine to run some games was good but the performance decrease was something I didn't expect. So I decided to stick with my old friend Windows. Also, reformatting my drive and reinstalling Win7 seems to have cleared away the virus/malway/bad program or whatever was causing my cpu to decrease in performance. I am now happily running at 13x multiplier, 2.6ghz, once again!

I'm going to stick around this board, I like it here and maybe I can help some people out with my persistant-try-hard attitude . Hope that's fine with you guys, promise I wont get in the way .
Old 02-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
Emeritus

Glad you got the problem resolved.

Closed Thread