Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Having a hard time with my CPU and powering my computer

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Having a hard time with my CPU and powering my computer within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Alright here's the problem that I'm having: My CPU (Quad core at 2.4 GHz) was doing some Nero Recode encodes

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Alright here's the problem that I'm having:
My CPU (Quad core at 2.4 GHz) was doing some Nero Recode encodes three night ago (doing some AVC stuff) which I ran through the night. The next day I find my computer turned off and then try turning it back on, but it wouldn't turn back on.
I thought my PSU had died (very possible since the PSU fan has been very loud as of late). So then I bought a new PSU 500 watts (my old one was 450 watts). After I installed it my computer turned on and everything worked perfectly, except one thing.

The thing was that when I was doing video compressions, it was going a lot slower than it normally would-I used to be at a 3 GHz P4, in recode the FPS would be at 8-10, which was I was getting now on a Quad core processor (I used to get 20 FPS, and 100 FPS on the analysis pass)

Then about half way through the encodes, my computer turned off with no warning at all. I scanned for viruses with my newly update AVG and it found nothing.
Then I turned back my computer back on and I found an error on it with:
CPU over voltage error.
I thought that was weird, I never touched such settings in my BIOS and it's not overlocked either. I was still able to even boot the computer as normal too.
It seems that my computer only shuts down without warning when I'm using 80-100% CPU time (which is needed for heavy compressing).
I check my CPU core voltage in my BIOS and it looked like it needed attention (had a red color text).

I am wondering if it has to do with running 3 SATA HDDs and 2 DVD burners. I was running fine for 4 months with my same setup (just a different power supply).
-To however reads most or all of this (sorry about that, and thank you)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #2

Howdy rmarier and welcome to TSF

Have you thought of heat? Download speedfan from below and let me know what the temps are..Seems like it may be overheating as it only happens when you use 80% of your cpu..
The quad core takes up about 100 watts.. If you have a good name brand 500 watt psu (although you should get a nice 750 watter) it should be semi fine for now.. Speedfan will also tell us your voltages..

https://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Old 01-24-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

well, isn't more watts gonna add more to the energy bill? Or will it only do that when more watts are in consumption within my computer?
Oh and my power suppy unit is an Antec Basiq.

Here's the temperatures that I got from speedfan:
System: 28 c
CPU: 60 c
AUX:127C
HD0:30C
HD1:34C
HD2:28C
Core0:67C
Core1:67C
Core2:67C

VCore: 1.12V
CPU Usage:0%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 11:49 PM   #4

Is that idle or under load?

If it's idle, what are your temps under load?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:26 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

those were temps from it being idle (mostly 0-10% usage)
This is from being under load: (see the attachment)

I have been using nero recode on my quad core just perfectly fine for the past 4 months (running recode everyday) the same goes with MeGUI, which is another program I'm having slight problems with.
I just hope my CPU isn't wearing down I spent $300 on it.

Also, if it helps I used artic silver 5, on the stock heatsink that came with my CPU. The thing is none of this wasn't happening until I upgraded my PSU 4 days ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Bitmap Image.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	22581  
Old 01-25-2008, 07:47 AM   #6
Registered Member

OS: XP Pro/Vista Ultimate/Ubuntu/Server 2003/Ubuntu Server

In my opinion, it is way to hot. If i were u i would get a new CPU fan. Also check if the fan currently on, sitting nice and tight on the processor.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

So what type of heatsink would bring my temperatures down to satisfactory levels? I only willing to spend no more than $40, also I mostly tend to shop at Newegg.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #8
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

check one of the securing legs has not popped up your temps are more than double what they should be
redo the paste with some arctic silver,it has to be done every time the h/sink is disturbed
https://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

Old 01-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Dude your a lifesaver.
My legs on the heatsink were popped out, because the damn plastic on it got bent. So basically I tore off the legs and just drilled in some screws on the brackets to keep the heatsink in place,
which in my opinion makes it a million times easier than that crappy plastic snapin the hole thing.
Also I checked my temps afterwards (this is with running recode too):(see attachment)
As you can see a huge difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Bitmap Image.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	22602  
Old 01-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

it's been a problem for a long time you would they would have rectified it by now

Closed Thread