Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Hardware issue randomly turns off

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Hardware issue randomly turns off within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a HP Pavillion Slimline S7520n PC. It has 1 Gig of Ram, and about 150 Gig SATA hard-drive.

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

Pencil

I have a HP Pavillion Slimline S7520n PC. It has 1 Gig of Ram, and about 150 Gig SATA hard-drive. The computer has this issue that whenever it turns on, be it a few seconds or a few minutes it inevitable just turns off without warning.
I thought it was a problem with it over-heating. I took apart the case and removed the heat sinks from the CPU and Processor, i removed and then reapplied the cooling gel. I had a good feeling that would help but when i turned it back on next it now turns off even faster then before(about 4-10 seconds in). Before it would maybe turn off after about 10 minutes, or as soon as i plugged in an external CD burner. I don't really have many other parts i can use to exchange it with to see if it would fix the problem.
It is surely not a software issue or a virus, i've re-installed the operating system and it doesn't even get past POST sometimes.
I can take pictures if needed and i'll try and give more information if you have a specific. I hope i am in the right thread if not please direct me or move it to the proper area. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Registered Member

This might sound stupid but it sounds like you've been playing inside you computer a fair bit. But I want you to disconnect the power/restart switches from your case. Using a screwdriver I want you to complete the circuit for your power on lead. You could have something grounding to the case and it's forcing a hard boot.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

I'm sorry i don't quite follow, could you please be more specific i don't really understand what you think i should do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Did you thoroughly clean the old thermal material from the heasink and CPU?

Make sure that too much was not applied.

Make sure that the heatsink is properly mounted and secured.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinu1der2 View Post
Did you thoroughly clean the old thermal material from the heasink and CPU?

Make sure that too much was not applied.

Make sure that the heatsink is properly mounted and secured.
I cleaned up the old thermal material as much as i could. They have clamps that lock them back down into place so i can't secure them any more then they already are. It is slightly possible too much was applied. but i highly doubt that would be the reason. I am not ruling it out, i just think it's fine, i will go back to that if nothing else
Old 01-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

When you cleaned and applied the thermal material did you remove the CPU from the socket?

Reseat the CPU in the socket(make sure lever is secured)

After installing the heatsink clear the CMOS settings.

Check all connections to MB.

Make sure RAM inserted in the slots.

Usually random shutdowns can be attributed to overheating or power issues.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hp s7520n.PNG
Views:	279
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	85481  
Old 01-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
Registered Member

Ok, i just replaced the RAM and securely placed it into the other slot. I removed the CMOS battery and replaced it in, i took out the CPU and replaced it,i unplugged and replugged in all of the chords and cables.
Quick question about the CMOS clear. When i move the jumpers i don't need to turn it on with it one way, turn it off, then try it the other, it should take effect while powered off?
Also i notieced in your picture my jumpers were set up and down not side by side, could that be a big issue?
I just followed the tutorial and it is currently now in the position show in the last figure, i will be attempting to boot it on now, i also have some pictures i will be uploading very soon, it just sucks because i have to use my monitor and power cable to try this out since the person who gave me their computer to fix didn't give me any cables :(
Old 01-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

You want to do the CMOS clear with the PC off and power removed.

The picture i posted was just a general pic. (your pins config may be different)
Old 01-17-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
Registered Member

I just tried it the way in the picture. I still get the same problem. I boot up. I get to choose between 2 options.
1. start windows recovery console
2. start windows normally

i choose start windows normally, i am running windows 7. It shows the start-up display(the 4 window colors animation) for about... 5 seconds, then it just powers down.
Where could i find a pin configuration specific to my computer, and do you really think that would be the cause of this problem?
Old 01-17-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

when you removed the h/s again you need to clean and reapply the paste again

Arctic Silver Incorporated - Route to Product Instructions for Arctic Silver 5

Old 01-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #11
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

The image that I posted came from the HP site for your model.

I t should be labeled on the motherboard for the default jumper position.

Boot into the BIOS (system setup menu) and see if the PC is still shutting down.

If able to access the BIOS check for temp and voltage readings and post.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:13 AM   #12
Registered Member

Dai>
good call, i definitely did not do that, i will now clean and re-apply.

Makin>
I tried getting into the BIOS, after about 6 failed attempts i finally got in for about 2 seconds before it shut off, it looks like checking the bios or using the computer while on is not an option in it's current state. i will try reappying the compound and try again, but i expect the same results.
on the motherboard it says :
1-2 clear cmos
2-3 default
i'm not sure what it is set to now.
Currently it looks like:
top layer [ open pin to the left/ sideways jumper covering 2nd and 3rd
lower layer same as top layer

So i just tried booting. I get power. But now i won't get any screen. Considering i might have made things worse, i'm thinking maybe i didn't properly replace down the CPU, if it's not placed properly is not having any screen output/but having power, possible?
Any thoughts? I don't wanna **** around with the CPU again ,i'd prefer not to keep re-applying the thermal compound.
Is there any potential of connecting my working computer to the broken one to try and find out what's wrong? I doubt i have the hard-ware or software needed to do such a thing but i wanna know if it's even possible.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
Registered Member

Checked them both, they both seem to only conclude it's faulty hard-ware. I kind of figured that much already, isn't there a way to find out which specific piece of hard-ware it is?

Here are two pictures of the jumpers.

and here's the cpu and processor, please note this was the first time i applied the thermal compound, i have since cleaned and reapplied a better and more even layer.
I really could use some help determining what's wrong.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	85520   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	85521   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	85522  

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	85523  
Old 01-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

The first image on post #16 is how you should have the jumpers installed for the default position.

Have you since reinstalled the CMOS battery (i noticed it out in one of the pics)

Remove the RAM from the PC and attempt to boot. Do you receive any beeps?
Old 01-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #16
Registered Member

Yes i reinstalled the CMOS battery, i will attempt to remove the RAM and i will post results, should be about 3-4 hours from now. Sorry i'm in class.

I removed the ram, no sounds, no difference. CMOS battery is installed right, i switched it incase i put it back backwards but it wouldn't turn on at all when it was in wrong.

I should also note i didn't have any speakers installed or anything. Should i attempt to plug in headphones and listen for beeps or would sound come out regardless?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:30 AM   #17
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

no beep error code with the ram removed indicates power or m/board at fault

Old 01-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
CMOS battery is installed right, i switched it incase i put it back backwards but it wouldn't turn on at all when it was in wrong.
Ouch. This is not good. Installing the CMOS battery backwards (upside down) isn't the best thing to do.

Quote:
I should also note i didn't have any speakers installed or anything.
There is almost always a small (1/2" diameter) beeper on the mobo that gives you the POST beep(s). It's rare to see a mobo without one (but they're out there). Check your mobo handbook to see if there is one. Also, your case may have a small speaker attached to the front panel. There'll be a 4 pin connector with two wires, generally in the 1st & 4th position. Again, your mobo manual will tell you where to plug it in.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #19
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

In the second image (post #15) the round object labeled AC-1205G is the speaker/buzzer
Old 01-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #20
Registered Member

Oh, thank you very much for that information, i had no idea ^_^

Also.. sadly upon further inspection i noticed that some of the CPU pins were bent...probably caused by my own carelessness. It is only 2 pins, and i am currently seaking a small sewing pin to fix it but i'll probably need to buy one since i have nothing handy at the moment. I believe this is quite possibly the reason why this computer now doesn't have picture, and i also believe that at the same time the same issue with the constantly shutting off would still be present.
Ordering a brand new motherboard is about $225 and a replacement CPU is about $20, i do not think this customer will be very happy to hear this.
I will attempt to repair the cpu to the best of my abilities but i don't think there's much else i can do.

Update-
So yeah i messed up the CPU really bad, i straightened out the pins, and i actually got it to reset all the way, now when i turn it on i once again get picture.
However it still turns off after being on for a few seconds/minutes
i'm back where i started anyone?!
Closed Thread