Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

[SOLVED] CPU upgrade question

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] CPU upgrade question within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys. I recently bought an amd phenom x3 cpu for my pc and I'm wondering if my current hsf

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Hey guys.

I recently bought an amd phenom x3 cpu for my pc and I'm wondering if my current hsf will work or if I should buy another one instead of upgrading my second desk top. Now the pc that is in question is a Compaq Presario CQ5107C specs are

CPU Amd Athalon x2 7550 (2.5 ghz)
Video Gigabyte ati hd 4550 512 meg pcie x16
Ram 4 gigs ddr2 pc 6400 mushkin ram 2x2 gigs
PSU Seasonic 520 watt 80 pluse bronse psu
320 gig hdd
dvd-rw

I did several upgrades on this pc with the video card, ram, and psu and flashed the bios to fix a onboard video issue. The cpu I ordered off ebay is a Phenom x3 2.4 ghz cpu, I know it will work because it's a socket am2+ 95 watt cpu. Will my current hsp work for the new cpu or should I order a new one? If so do you have any recommendations on ebay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

FYI: Same socket does not necessarily guarantee other CPUs will work. The system BIOS must also be programmed with the correct micro-code to support the processor.

In this instance, though, you should be alright. Original system specs for the Presario CQ5107C show CPU support for three and four core AM2+ Phenom and Phenom II procs with TDP up to 95 watts.

The new CPU (8750?) will use no more power, and thus produce no more heat than the 7550 so the stock Compaq cooler should be fine.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

I did contact hp in the past and they said my pc can handle a phenom II 940 which is a am2+ running at 125 watts. Since I already updated the bios a few years ago I'm sure it will work. Well 80 percent sure but here is the model of the new cpu HD875BWCJ3BGH.
I'd love a PhenpmII x4 940 but I haven't run across one at a good price, the phenom x3 was 20 bucks so I figured why not? The extra core will help with my video editing work. Since I won't have to get a new cooler I might order some thing else for one of my two desk tops. Oh and I made one slight goof on my system specs, my ram is gskill. Not mushkin, but that shouldn't matter much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 03:31 AM   #4
Troubled

You're best bet would be something like an AMD Propus 635/640 Athon II Quad (95W TDP).
Old 07-05-2013, 04:18 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My pc won't handle that cpu and the phenom was 20 bucks on ebay so I bought it. It's only a hundred mega hertz slower but it has an extra core so that will help with video editing and other task. I picked up another one which is 2.3 ghz phenom x3 for 15 bucks so either one will work, I'm hoping both cpu's work so I can have my second desk top funning a tri core cpu.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

So I got the cpu in today along with 2 gigs of ram for my other desk top, I installed every thing and the triple core is running well so far since it's the pc I'm using right now with out any cmos clearing or any thing else. One thing though. I need a good cpu temp monitoring program because this Compaq doesn't have the Hardware Monitoring option in bios. Trust me I looked and there is nothing displaying cpu temps and the other stuff you see on the retail motherboards bios. I need one compatible with win7 hp 64.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Sorry but this was too late to post within the editing time line, I got ahold of hwmonitor from another thread and ran the 64 bit version and my cpu temps seem to be lower than I expected. If I'm reading it right my cpu has gotten up to 29c and it sits at 24c. Is this thing working?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hwmonpro.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	126661  
Old 07-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

It is not uncommon, as in this instance, for a software app to give inaccurate readings of temps and/or voltages when used with some hardware. No one application is 100% accurate with all hardware. Only thing you can do is to test several different applications.

I've found CoreTemp to be accurate with most hardware.
RealTemp might work, but I think it only supports Intel procs.
SpeedFan works well if you can get it calibrated and
OpenHardwareMonitor has a GUI much like HWM
Old 07-07-2013, 04:03 AM   #9
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannpp2012 View Post
My pc won't handle that cpu and the phenom was 20 bucks on ebay so I bought it. It's only a hundred mega hertz slower but it has an extra core so that will help with video editing and other task. I picked up another one which is 2.3 ghz phenom x3 for 15 bucks so either one will work, I'm hoping both cpu's work so I can have my second desk top funning a tri core cpu.
Explain to me how your PC will not handle that CPU. I'm only asking because I installed a 635 Propus on the same mobo different OEM vendor. Exact same mainboard.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:21 AM   #10
Troubled

Here you go for your reading - enjoy.

HP g5252fr Desktop PC Product Specifications | Soporte HP

and if you are Spanish challenged - pick "continuar". Scroll down. The American version does not list this processor support.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #11
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

An Athlon II will certainly fit in the socket but they are not listed as supported upgrades on HPs spec sheet for the system and without BIOS support for the proc, the PC is a very large paperweight. The board may, in fact have BIOS support for the Athlon II series, but as upgrading any OEM system is usually hit-and-miss, I would go the safe route.

Moot point in any case. OP has already purchased and installed the Phenom II.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Iv'e tried three programs hw monitor, coretemp, and openhareware monitor and they all have the same reading 23c min and 34c max. Well core temp says it's at 20c, I'm guessing three programs I guess my cpu is cool.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #13
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcavan View Post
An Athlon II will certainly fit in the socket but they are not listed as supported upgrades on HPs spec sheet for the system and without BIOS support for the proc, the PC is a very large paperweight. The board may, in fact have BIOS support for the Athlon II series, but as upgrading any OEM system is usually hit-and-miss, I would go the safe route.

Moot point in any case. OP has already purchased and installed the Phenom II.
"fitting" the socket per-say has nothing to do with it. You are not reading correctly, to be fully read you need to read all international spec sheets, and also know exactly what the chipset is, and who made the mobo. You don't. Not only that I suppose you never built with that chipset. Though OEM mobos differ from retail spec (in this case Asus) usually there are a few subtle differences, One, the Bios, two the processor support (LOL) but in this case I installed a 635 in that very mobo - what I had to do to make it stable was increase CPU Vcore a notch. That's it.

Experience dude.... makes all the difference.

Good that the OP is satisfied.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:56 AM   #14
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

@dannpp: Idle temp of 34 I would believe, but 23C at idle is not possible unless the PC is sited in a reefer. Means the motherboard sensor chip is inaccurate. Not much you can do about that.

@Chrono: Different motherboard. Though based on the same Asus M2N68-LA, OPs system is the HP Narra5 (AM2+, DDR2); your link leads to the next generation Narra6-GL6 (AM3, DDR3)

Granted, I may not be as well versed as you in all things tech, but I think 30 years plus servicing various sorts of electronic and electro-mechanical devices account for something. I believe fiddling with PCs since the days of the Commodore VIC20/C64 and the TRS80 and building/repairing/modifying IBM type PCs for the last 20 years gives me at least as much experience as you. And yes I've have been 'hands-on' with the HP Narra series since their first introduction (2003-4?).
Old 07-07-2013, 05:41 AM   #15
Troubled

^then you will know, the ddr2 version will take the 635 as well as the ddr3 version of the mainboard.

respectfully
Old 07-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #16
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGeek View Post
I installed a 635 in that very mobo - what I had to do to make it stable was increase CPU Vcore a notch. That's it.

Experience dude.... makes all the difference.

Good that the OP is satisfied.
Voltage adjustments in stock OEM bios??

News to me.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #17
Troubled

Asus sofwtare OC tool. That however was not actually supported and did not work well (hold) since the mobo was not supported. It ran the 635 anyhow Obviously that's correct there are no aftermarket tweak adjustments in OEM BIOS/s. However in a few rare cases I have flashed OEM variants of retail mobos with a retail BIOS. Older Epox Nforce 2 mATX comes to mind (used by HP/Compaq), that was for XP3200 support.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

That model isn't listed on the motherboards cpu support list but the phenom x3 was and at 20 bucks it was a decent deal. My bios doesn't allow for voltage adjustments or tweaks and uses auto detect to pick up the cpu. I have the narra 5 am2+ board so making the Athalon II work is going to be more work than it's worth. I'm not willing to try something on "If's" in the end I'm stuck with a cpu I can't use at the moment and more work to reinstall the old one.The next cpu I'm going to put in this machine is a Phenom II x4 940 am2+ cpu which was confermed by hp to work with this pc.

As far as the heat sensors I have no idea way the odd readings, it's set in a room of 70+ degrease some times it's above 90. The pc sits in a cubby hole in a desk and I have the side panel off. I could try the other programs to see what they say but having a bunch of programs doing the same thing can cause issues. I really wished they had a hard ware monitor or health option in the bios.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #19
Troubled

In your situation I would use a 940 Ph.II as well I would not recommend overtly doing what I did with the Athlon II 635. Regarding the Ph.II 940 -I would use a better than stock heat sink fan and a case that has some fans for better cooling, to eliminate any heat issues.

If you cannot improve cooling, I would not recommend a 125W CPU Just my take, given the temperature environment you said you have there. Whatever you do best of luck!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

When that day comes I'll have it in a better case and I will get a cooler that supports the cpu.
Closed Thread