Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

[SOLVED] BIOS of brand new build. HDD not detected? CPU too hot?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] BIOS of brand new build. HDD not detected? CPU too hot? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey there :-) I've just built a computer now, and in the BIOS where it says Sata 1 sata 2

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey there :-)

I've just built a computer now, and in the BIOS where it says Sata 1 sata 2 Sata 3 all the way to Sara 6, only Sata 1 is detected and that's the optical drive. This could be because my motherboard came with a IDE cable to plug into HDD but my WD HDD doesn't have a place to plug that in..

Also is my CPU a lil hot for just starting BIOS? it's 42 degrees celcius but for you Americans that's 105.5 degrees farenheit xP

Thank you :-)

CPU is AMD phenom 2 quad core that runs stock at 3.5mhz so maybe that temperature is normal for a high clockspeed like that?

Ghz. On my phone I don't think about what I'm sayin I'm thinkin about pressing the tiny qwerty keypad xP

It is now detecting my hard drive, as all it was, was one of the sata cables had come loose. Im still a bit weary of my cpu being that hot at BIOS startup. Any comments on that would be great.

Also can i tell if my GPU is detected from BIOS? It had two PCI plug slots to plug it into and i plugged them both with one PSU PCI cable. I may have not inserted the card hard enough into the motherboard as i never heard a click, but i did use as much force as i was willing to risk.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
TSF-Enthusiast

My System

As long as there is something onscreen with the GPU plugged in and the video cable into the GPU, you should be fine.

The CPU temps are fine as well. It's a quad-core,so you have to imagine it would be a tad hotter.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks :-) I cant see any reason i need to alter the BIOS, the ram speed is set correctly already. Will all the default voltages most likely be okay?

On a side note, my monitor came with two plugs that go into the GPU, a big one that fits fine, and one very similar yet slightly smaller, whereas, my GPU only has two slots of exactly the same size (the bigger size). So ive just got one of the monitor cables plugged into my GPU (or anywhere else on my computer), and then a power cord into the wall. Any comments hugely appriciated.

:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

You should only need one cord connecting the monitor to your computer, be it DVI, VGA, HDMI...
Old 12-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks. I have no idea what one it is, i only hope its HDMI because i have a radeon 6870. Im at the monitors mercy, Howereve i may be able to reaserch the instructions and find out, but for now, so long as you think its okay to proceed without altering anything in BIOS except the time, onwards to the OS installation!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
TSF-Enthusiast

My System

You should be able to download the OS, as long as you can see what's on the screen. Get back to us when you have the computer up and running. Just remember to download all of the drivers for everything. Can I ask what brand of the 6870 you got? I've heard to stay away from the driver CD for some Radeon Cards.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks. So..what drivers need to be installed? Lol. I have a Sapphire radeon 6870. I have a CD with my dvd writer, it doesnt say its a driver on it but i assume its a driver. I have a CD with my GPU that is a driver. I have a CD with my monitor which im pretty sure is a driver. Thats all the drivers i have...eeek. I think i may have a cd driver for my motherboard lying around which i will have to look for..am i screwed? Also, i just found a bunch of cords for my GPU that i left in the box, however i think they are all outside of the box cords, for monitors and things like that.

Do i install windows 7 before i install the drivers?

I havent eaten today..I will be back in half an hour to check if i've got a reply..I need to eat xP

Then i shall proceed with the next step and i'll be on here again no doubt asking more noob questions.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

:-)

just btw..CPU 43 degrees C 109 degrees F :-/
Old 12-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
TSF-Enthusiast

My System

Ok. So you have the drivers for everything normal. I've been told to use the website for the drivers for AMD cards. Everything else should just be installed with the CD.

Yeah you should install Windows 7 first.

The CPU temps are fine in the 40's. As long as they don't get above 60C(idle) you should be fine. Remember that quad-cores run hotter than dual-cores because of more cores that are running. `
Old 12-10-2010, 11:58 PM   #9
Registered Member

Thank you very much. Okay im going to install my OS.

As a side note, my gpu has some HDMI cables that look different to normal monitor cables and dont fit into my monitor..Im guessing my monitor just doesnt have an HDMI header. Rather disappointing. I did opt for a cheaper one tho so i guess thats why
Old 12-11-2010, 12:05 AM   #10
TSF-Enthusiast

My System

Glad to hear that your OS is installing. Get back to us when it's done, hopefully from the computer.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:23 AM   #11
Registered Member

Thanks! but im not quuuite that far. Im up to it though, just want some confirmation..but i should just go for it, however, Do i set boot up priority to CDROM as the first one to boot up, and then when do i insert the windows 7 cd? What screen do i want to be on to insert it? BIOS? Sorry i just wanna do it right ehh xP

Also id like to know if i have to change anything in BIOS before i do this such as voltage to the CPU..I doubt i do. I cant be bothered checking the boxes and booklets at what voltages they run at..the place is a mess and i cant be bothered trawling through everything. I have my windows 7 and driver cds ready and thats all i care about xP
Old 12-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #12
TSF-Enthusiast

My System

You should just put the Windows 7 disc in and boot up the system.

The voltages should be fine, but I'm not too sure. I would imagine so.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:32 AM   #13
Registered Member

LOL dont worry i wont hold you accountable should this go wrong. Here goes :-)
Old 12-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #14
TSF-Enthusiast

My System

Voltages should be default which is good. Have fun and get back to us when it's done.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:09 AM   #15
Registered Member

Windows is on my computer xD it looks pretty lame coz i dont have any drivers, but before i get the drivers, is there a way in windows 7 home premiuim to check my Graphics card to see that it recognises it? Thank you
Old 12-11-2010, 01:12 AM   #16
TSF-Enthusiast

My System

You can go into Device Manager. You can find this by going into Control Panel from the Start Circle, select System, then look on the left side for Device Manager. Let that load, then go to Display adapters and hopefully your GPU name should appear.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:13 AM   #17
Registered Member

Argh im not on the interwebs either. I plugged the ethernet into the computer and the wall but it didnt connect. I suppose i have to set up a connection or something but i also dont know anything about this..

Any feedback much appreciated

Thank you elvenleader i shall try that now :-)
Old 12-11-2010, 01:15 AM   #18
TSF-Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by btf18 View Post
Argh im not on the interwebs either. I plugged the ethernet into the computer and the wall but it didnt connect. I suppose i have to set up a connection or something but i also dont know anything about this.
Try looking in the bottom left corner for a monitor icon with a little plug next to it. What's the status on that? Try right-clicking and viewing Network and Sharing Center.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:19 AM   #19
Registered Member

I made it to device adaptors and it says standard VGA graphics adapter properties, and i cant see any mention of radeon 6870 or something like that :-/
Old 12-11-2010, 01:20 AM   #20
TSF-Enthusiast

My System

Try double clicking that and seeing what pops up.
Closed Thread