Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

[SOLVED] again cpu problems

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] again cpu problems within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi,i still use my q6600.i got a new tower+cooler now but i still have problems with the temperature.the cooler is

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

hi,i still use my q6600.i got a new tower+cooler now but i still have problems with the temperature.the cooler is named artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev.2...
with the original intel cooler i had temperatures like 70-75..now i have 70-73..the guy in the pc shop told me this cooler would be much better than the 1 i used before.i payd 20euros for it,i thought thats cheap for a good cooler but he said the temperatures will be much better now...i have cleared the old heatsink paste and now i use the paste that was applied on the cooler already.
i dont know whats wrong with my pc,or is this cooler just bad?are there other options why its getting so hot?
thx for helping and sorry for bad english :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

"i have cleared the old heatsink paste and now i use the paste that was applied on the cooler already"

The purpose of thermal compound it to fill microscopic pits and valleys between the heatsink and CPU. Too much thermal compound acts as an insulator. Clean both the CPU and heatsink with a coffee filter or lint-free cloth moistened in either 90% alcohol or, better, Xylene (Goof Off works or you can buy a CPU cleaning kit for a few dollars). Now, apply the thermal compound as instructed by the manufacturer. Just about any good brand works. Here are the instructions for Arctic Silver 5:

Arctic Silver, Inc. - Intel® Application Methods
Old 09-15-2011, 01:27 AM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
model
wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
Emeritus

Using the pre-applied thermal pad included with the new HSF shouldn't be a problem.
Knowing what we're working, as dia asked, would be helpful.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

When I first read the OP's post I was concerned that he was using both the thermal pad and thermal compound.

70 C is way too high if this is a BIOS reading upon start-up but is not abnormal for the CPU in question when under full load. As the techs here have said, it would be nice to know your system's specs and where and when the temperature readings were obtained.

If you are seeing only a slight benefit after installing an aftermarket cooler, remember that many thermal compounds need time to cure before they reach maximum efficiency. It usually takes several heating and cooling cycles for the tiny heat-conductive particles to migrate and pack into the surface imperfections.

Proper thermal compound application and heat sink mounting technique is a must too; if you apply your thermal compound or mount your heat sink improperly you can trap air bubbles between the heat sink and CPU. At least one reviewer noted problems in thermal compound distribution that resulted from the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2's slightly concave base.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Registered Member

hey,so much answers huh!
so first my spec here:
q6600/g0 stepping) not overclocked
mainboard is an old msi p35neo
ram is 4gb g.e.i.l dual channel (its ddr3 i think?!)
graphic is gainward 260gtx gs
psu is an corsair with 950watt

im gonna check the bios now for the temperature and voltage(i think you mean the voltage for the cpu)
Old 09-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
Registered Member

you sure the cooler is properly seated and snug in place? That cooler should drop temps 15-20* if installed correctly. How did you remove the old paste? 90% rubbing alcohol is recommended
Old 09-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
Registered Member

oh erm,i just used a hanky lol....
but i installed 2 120mm tower cooler today,and now in idle i have 40-45° and while playing(dead island) around 60-64°
Old 09-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Heh. That's like the ThermalRight dual-tower I used when OC'ing my bro's Q6600 to 3.8GHz a few years back. The Freezer 7 is supposed to be pretty darned good in comparison, though. It must not have been clamped down enough or something like that. Also, how's the airflow through your case itself? Having the correct flow can mean a BIG difference in temps.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #10
Registered Member

hey,my english is not good.i understand your question but its hard to answer..^^
ill try it with the google translator: I have a cooler mounted on the rear tower. this blows directly onto the cooling fins of the cpu cooler. the other sits on the side of the tower and pulls the air out.i wanted to buy a third and put it in the front of the tower. how do I do it right?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #11
Emeritus

CPU fan should be blowing to the "rear" of the case-Rear mounted fans blowing "out" of the case- Front mounted fans "into" the case-IMO, side mount fans are pretty much worthless but if they are used they should be blowing "into" the case.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #12
Registered Member

ok im gonna try it.i will put the side mounted to the front and see if i get better temps so.thx so far,i will post again tomorrow^^
Old 09-19-2011, 06:41 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Yes, you want the airflow moving from the front to the back. In the front of the case, over the CPU fins and other parts, and out the back. I don't know if you meant you had two fans on the CPU fins or not. You don't really need a third, in that case.

Side-mounted case fans are funny. I initially set up my brother's to breathe air in, and exhaust it out the back and top. He told me later he changed them to exhaust as well, and he got cooler temperatures. You have to experiment to find what works.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
Registered Member

ha already forgot the thread...thx to everyone.i have now 2 coolers in front and in the back.works fine now^^
Old 09-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

glad you have it sorted

Closed Thread