Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

[SOLVED] After CPU, RAM, Mobo upgrade, computer is slower

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] After CPU, RAM, Mobo upgrade, computer is slower within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I started off with a system with the following specifications: CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz Mobo: MSI 975X

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

I started off with a system with the following specifications:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz
Mobo: MSI 975X Platinum
RAM: Corsair 2x1GB RAM DDR2-800
Vid Card: Gigabyte GV-NX76T256D-RH 7600GT 256MB GDDR3
PSU: Corsair HX Series CMPSU-520HX 520W Power Supply

For the most part the system ran fine and I didn't have any major problems, but I use it as a video server (PS3 Media Server) and wanted to improve transcoding for 1080 source material. It worked ok for watching, but fast forward or rewind wouldn't work well. I also wanted to improve video encoding times when converting .flv files to other formats. I purchased the following equipment:

CPU: AMD|FX8320 AM3+ 3.5GHz
Mobo: ASROCK 990FX Extreme4
RAM: 2Gx2|GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-4GBXM
Vid Card: Same
PSU: Same

In the past I have used repair installations when changing motherboards and I have never had a problem. However this time I made an Acronis image of the HDD as backup and tried this technique
How to install a new motherboard without reinstalling Windows | Ars Technica
Which is basically manually removing all drivers that are specific to the old motherboard and CPU, rebooting with the new hardware, then re-installing the new drivers. With a little trial and error and a tool that removes non-present devices from Device Manager I was able to get it to boot up fine and install the new drivers. At first I thought everything was fine but it just seemed that the computer would hang while doing things. I then had task manager running while using the computer and the CPU load would be almost 0% during these hangs and there was no significant HDD access. It was just sitting there. I notice this type of behavior the most while using the web browser, or installing, or uninstalling software. Also, my internet speed is about 15M. But when I go to any site to test it is reported to be 50-70M now (regardless of browser). The upload speed is still reported properly. Another example is that I was downloading (not installing yet) updates from windows updates and I tried to play an MP3 file and it was really choppy. So I tried a repair installation of Windows XP and it made no difference. I have looked through Device Manager (even looking at hidden devices and non-present devices) and I have found no problems at all. I decided to install a benchmark tool (PassMark) and the CPU test was less than 2000 and it should be over 8000. Actually the memory and graphics card benchmarks were much worse as well. Only the HDD performance was near what it was suppose to be. I have also done a clean install on another HDD and while I didn't run benchmark tests, it didn't seem any better. Could this be a faulty mother board or CPU?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Emeritus

The Acronis image was with the old Mobo so it's just reusing the OS that was tied to the old Mobo.
"Sometimes" the above method works but it is always preferable to do a fresh install when a different Mobo is used.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Registered Member

I just did the backup just in case something went wrong. I started with the OS with the old Mobo, then removed all drivers for the Mobo, then installed all new drivers and experienced these problems. I then tried a repair installation of Windows and still had these problems. I also did a clean install and while I don't have benchmark data to back it up, it seemed to be behaving the same way. I am going to try the clean install again tonight and actually test it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Try to run sysprep on the OS while it is still on the old hardware
Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 Deployment Tools from Official Microsoft Download Center
Download, and extract it to a folder. Run sysprep.exe

When you run it, check the box that says generalize, and hit "SHUTDOWN" when it is done.
After it has shut down, you can take the image or move the disk to the new system.

What sysprep does is it basically reverts windows back to when it was finished installing to the system, so when you start the system again, it looks like the second part of the XP install, but in fact it is just configuring itself for the new hardware.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
Registered Member

It ended up being CPU temps. They were 67C so it was being throttled back. The fan had stopped working and now with a working fan the temps are 17C and things are much better. Thanks!!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
Registered Member

Now that was interesting. It's all because of the CPU temp. Suppose you had the BIOS shut down the PC instead of throttling would you have figured it out?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

There often is not an option to "turn off pc if it gets too hot" to toggle in the bios. It is a default action that can't be changed. If throttling was disabled, then there is a possibility that the system would have gotten too hot and shut off on its own.. But you never EVER want that to happen
Closed Thread