Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Slow startup / hdd missing

This is a discussion on Slow startup / hdd missing within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So my pc is acting very weird. First of, my hdd keeps dissapearing. My hdd is only used for storage

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

Arrow

So my pc is acting very weird.

First of, my hdd keeps dissapearing. My hdd is only used for storage of downloaded files. It is not the boot drive. Sometimes when i download files, the hdd will suddenly disappear. For no reason. It seems like the hdd only disappear when its being used. I dont know why.

So i decided to open up my pc and change sata ports. So i did, and now my pc startup is really slow. Most of the time it get stuck for a while on the motherboard startup screen (where it says ASUS bla bla bla). When it finally loads up windows and stuff, windows says i need to restart the pc to make these changes. What changes? since i basically "reinstalled" my hdd by changing cables and stuff the hdd installs and guess this is the "changes" i need to restart for... When i restart, the hdd dissapears again. Note: Pc still boots very slowly.

What is happening???

To sum up

- Hdd starts to fail / randomly disappearing
- Decided to change cables and stuff
- Pc all of a sudden starts to boot slowly
- When i succesfully boots, i need to reboot pc due to installation of my hdd...
- After rebooting my hdd disappeard

My rig
- I7-930 QUAD CORE @ 2.8 ghz stock
- HD 5870 "XXX"
- 12GB Corsair dominator
- ASUS P6T SE
- Corsair 750w
- 1TB Hitachi (boot drive, fully working)
- 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200. 12 (storage drive, faulty, disappears)

I REALLY hope this isnt a hardware fault. I will shortly reinstall and format both of my drives as fast as i can, but i need an aditional drive to hold my files as i format.

Thanks for any help i can get
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Faulty motherboard (SATA controller), cable, or HDD. Try testing the drive with the manufacturers disk tools.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:58 AM   #3
Registered Member

I just got a weird screen on startup saying "Sec Master hdd status: Bad" or something like that. Its not showing up on my computer or anything. Hopefully its just the HDD, not my motherboard or anything. I will try to boot the pc without the hdd and check.

EDIT: I have just removed the hdd and my pc boots as normal. So it was the hdd slowing the the entire boot process. Hopefully the problem is completely gone, i will bump or post in this thread if the problem is still there.

Thanks
Closed Thread