Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Slow PC, RAM XMP and random wierdness

This is a discussion on Slow PC, RAM XMP and random wierdness within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This is going to long winded with a load of questions, so I'll post my spec. Ryzen 7 Eight Core

Old 05-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

This is going to long winded with a load of questions, so I'll post my spec.

Ryzen 7 Eight Core 2700X 4.35GHz (Socket AM4) Processor
Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7 AMD X370 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Gigabyte Radeon RX VEGA 64 WindForce OC 8GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Team Group Dark Pro "8Pack Edition" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit
Super Flower 850W Power Supply
Alpenfohn Ben Nevis Advanced CPU Cooler - 130mm
Samsung SSD 850 Evo 1TB
Toshiba 2TB P300 7200RPM Performance Hard Drive (HDWD120UZSVA)
OcUK Value Blu-ray / DVDRW combi SATA
Gigabyte Aorus RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit

Running on 2 monitors.
MSI Optix G24C
Asus VG248

When I built the computer I had a ton of problem with freezing and crashing. In the end it turned out to be the graphics card and I was given a replacement. After doing more research I wish I had never bought the Gigabyte GPU.
Another problem I've had is that I've never been able to run my RAM in XMP mode, the machine can run fine for days but then crash.

Machines been fine for months but it seemed a little slower in games, could have been my imagination. But I decided to give the RAM XMP another go, but before I did I made sure my BIOS is up-to-date (F50a).
Machine ran fine for around 7 days.
Then 1 day, I was playing a game and watching a friend steam a game through discord, suddenly everything slowed down and froze.

I did a BIOS reset to get everything back to default but I kept getting problems, the machine was trying to boot into Windows but was taking ages and then would just sit at a black screen, monitor would say no signal.
This went on for best part of 30 min, me completely powering down the system and trying to get back into Windows, even went inside and pulled out the BIOS battery.
Finally got into safe mode, but Windows froze once I put my password in.
I had practically given up, but for some reason it booted into Windows normally, though it took a long time.

Machine continued to work afterwords, but still had an insanely long boot up time of 2 minutes 30 seconds. A minute and a half of that was spent on the BIOS splash screen with nothing happening. Also my Blu-Ray playing was only working intermittently, sometimes not being recognised in Windows, or take over a minute to eject.
I went inside, checked all the connections, turned the machine back on and it booted into Windows in under 15 seconds.

That was about 5 days ago, today I did a fresh install of Windows, since it's been about a year.
Straight away, I had the slow bootup problem again, but checking the cabling once again fixed the fault.

So I'm back in Windows, downloading all my stuff and I could use some help and advice.

I've downloaded the AMD drivers for the motherboard (AX370), latest Radeon graphics driver and all the Windows updates. Windows seems to have all my other drivers easily enough, is there anything I should be downloading?

Regarding the latest craziness I had, what do you think could be the problem? I put it down to overclocking the RAM, but once the BIOS was reset, everything should have gone back to normal?
I was ready to blame the graphics card once again but I'm not sure anymore.

With the RAM and XMP, I know XMP settings aren't guaranteed, but after paying Ł200 for RAM, I'm more then a little disappointed that I'm stuck at 2400.
Would a newer motherboard be a sure fire option? I've been looking at 470 motherboards.

Is there a benchmark I can use to check that my machine is running at full speed? After all my problems, I'm a little paranoid that it's slower then it should be.

I'm still new to the world of dual monitors, I use the MSI Optix for gaming because of the higher refresh rate, but I'm not sure that some of my games are playing in full screen mode, even though I have it enabled. If I pause a game, I can still move my mouse cursor from 1 screen to another, is that normal?
DEL 707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2020, 04:18 PM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Why are you running two different sets of RAM?
Old 05-16-2020, 06:20 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
Why are you running two different sets of RAM?
Ah, well spotted.

I copied and pasted the order I placed.
The Gigabyte RAM was the original RAM I ordered, but I replaced it with Team Group as I was told the Gigabyte RAM was incompatible and was causing my PC to crash. When infact it was the GPU.

Not quite sure how to edit my original post...

If a mod could remove this from my original post, it would be appreciated.
Quote:
Gigabyte Aorus RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2020, 04:44 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

So are you using both set of RAM at the same time?

Did you check with your mobo's QVL for memory?

Technically, you can use 2 different RAM sets (brands) "IF" they are the same voltages, speeds, timings and CAS settings. Otherwise your going to encounter BSOD's.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:57 AM   #5
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

FYI: EVGA is the way to go for a GPU...they just work.

What Gen is you CPU?

personal note; I would think about changing out your CPU to the 3xxx series CPU. If your mobo can use it.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:48 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
So are you using both set of RAM at the same time?
No I sold the Gigabyte RAM, I'm only using the Team RAM at the moment.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:53 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
FYI: EVGA is the way to go for a GPU...they just work.

What Gen is you CPU?

personal note; I would think about changing out your CPU to the 3xxx series CPU. If your mobo can use it.
I learnt about the EVGA a bit too late, I do wish I bought it instead of the Gigabyte. I think I'm going to avoid Gigabyte entirely in the future.

I don't know what Gen my CPU is, is there a way to find out? I built the machine near the end of 2018.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:04 AM   #8
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

If you still have the box for the CPU....the model number is on there. Look that up and that will tell you.

Next I would look at the RAM you have now and see it meets the QVL. If not, I would consider replacing with a set that does. But, to do that, you need to know what GEN it is.

The key here is not to use what the mobo can do/use for RAM but use the CPU tech specs for RAM.

Once you match your RAM to CPU the issues should stop.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:13 AM   #9
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

From what I can find....it's a Gen 2 that has memory support up to 2933 mhz.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-2700x

Next you need to find out what Ridge series it is: Bristol, Summit, Raven or Pinnacle. Then go to the QVL for RAM and compare that list to what you have. Keep in mind that not all RAM is tested and you use it at your own risk.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...rt#support-doc
Old 05-17-2020, 07:46 AM   #10
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEL 707 View Post

I don't know what Gen my CPU is, is there a way to find out? I built the machine near the end of 2018.
2nd Generation; as shown here:

AMD.com AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700X Processor
Quote:
2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processors
--

Motherboard CPU Support does list your Ryzen 7 2700X, here:

Gigabyte.com > GA-AX370-Gaming K7 (rev. 1.0) > CPU Support
Quote:
Vendor: AMD
CPU Model: Ryzen 7 2700X
Copres/Threads: 8C/16T
Frequency: 3.7GHz / 4.35GHz
L2 Cache: 4MB
L3 Cache: 16MB
GPU Frequency: N/A
Core Name: Pinnacle Ridge
Process: 12nm
Stepping: B2
--

Quote:

Next I would look at the RAM you have now and see it meets the QVL. If not, I would consider replacing with a set that does.
I agree, and I do not see your "Team Group Dark Pro" on their QVL, here:

Gigabyte.com > AX370 Gaming K7 > QVL for AMD Pinnacle Ridge CPU (.pdf)

--
SpywareDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:03 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
From what I can find....it's a Gen 2 that has memory support up to 2933 mhz.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-2700x
...god damn it.

I know very little about PC components these days. I know how to build them, I just have no idea what I'm putting inside.
I relied on other forums and people telling me what I should buy.

I'll have a look around later to see if I can find the box for the CPU, but I'm pretty sure it's been thrown by now.
CPU-Z does say it's a Pinacle.

Kinda thinking of just getting a new motherboard/CPU and selling what I got.
Maybe upgrade to a 3700X.

You guys have been a great help.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:59 PM   #12
Registered Member

You debug starting with the SIMPLEST electrical and software configuration you can use to start your system. Minimum memory, even 1 card only. You also ensure all BIOS settings are within nominal values...NO tweaks at this point.

Then if it fails you can start detailed evaluation. Otherwise, you start adding components ONE at a time until the failure returns. Like add ONE RAM card and retry.
It's an iterative process.

Many random failures are due to Power Supply problems. Get a tester (about US$10) and test it out). You may also try installing a compatible PSU you have lying around or can borrow from a friend for a bit.

If you didn't use ESD protection protocols while building and debugging, that is also a source of random failures. You can easily permanently damage a component when you don't use proper protection while handling components, and they can be among the most difficult problems to diagnose.
There can also be more than one problem...which is why you want to start out with the most basic configuration you can.
There are numerous "debugging" fora on the internet. Two sites that have some excellent debugging procedures provided by users are tomshardware.com and hardwareanalysis.com
hardwareanalysis.com has been on life support for a long time, but it DOES have some excellent debugging threads one can use for reference. They provide a LOT of details.
Sophus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:26 PM   #13
Registered Member

OS: Windows 10 Pro and Linux Mint 19.3 (Primary) Displayed on a Samsung 48" 4K Curved TV

I have to agree with the above techs.
Start with a single stick of RAM and only the necessary components to make the system usable and function then test.
You can either use a bootable disc that has memtest written to it or a USB flash drive to test the memory for errors
You can use OCCT (Free for personal use) to stress the CPU, memory, video, power supply, ect.
WATCH YOUR TEMPS IF STRESS TESTING.

It is possible that you have a noisy power supply or your cpu may have a dirty pin and/or not completely seated properly or there may be a issue with the motherboard but you'll need to troubleshoot a piece at a time to narrow it down.
visseroth is offline   Reply With Quote

« Can't Load XP | - »