Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

single core processing

This is a discussion on single core processing within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. okay so i'm playing Stellaris. ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/281990/Stellaris/ ) and this game is great and all, but it was developed as

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

okay so i'm playing Stellaris. (https://store.steampowered.com/app/281990/Stellaris/)

and this game is great and all, but it was developed as a 32 bit program. thus it cannot take advantage of multiple cores in a multicore processor... or at least that's what i've been lead to believe. now this is a problem for late game as the lag is intense. now i've tried several things in game. such as reducing graphics settings and acquiring mods to reduce particle effects to zero and such. but i'm wondering if there's something processor-related that i can do to improve the function of the single core running the game, and by extension, the game's stability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Only suggestion I have is to make sure nothing else is running. A Windows update download would definitely have a negative effect.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

soooo... not much to be done. thanks for your time anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

try setting affinity for the game

Open task manager, go to the details tab, right click the game, select affinity and assign it to your least used core.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
try setting affinity for the game

Open task manager, go to the details tab, right click the game, select affinity and assign it to your least used core.
This is the only option of which I am aware. I use this process for older games as well (GTR2 comes to mind).

Closed Thread