Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Shipping a PC to other side of world

This is a discussion on Shipping a PC to other side of world within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, moving to the other side of the planet and need to ship my 2 pc's .. I'm having

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 07:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all, moving to the other side of the planet and need to ship my 2 pc's .. I'm having the thought that i should remove the gpu's (a GTX980 and a GTX1080), to store them separately. My thinking is that the gpu's are very heavy and already seem to put a fair bit of load on the mobo. During shipping if there is a sudden jolt up or down then it may result in damage .. thoughts on this ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

It's not a bad idea to package them separately, but IMO it's not necessary at all. The cards should be fastened firmly to the case by the screws that held the PCI slot covers in place. Your cards do have those back plates with holes for the screws that I'm talking about, don't they? Take care of shock absorption in the PCs' packaging and all of their inside components will be protected as well. Perhaps some packing foam sheets or packing foam balls inside the boxes.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
Registered Member

yes they fit as a standard card. I can see some "sagging" as they sit on the desk .. so if they were to be jolted hard then I think there might be some damage. I will remove them .. I have the original boxes so it's not problem .. i think I have answered my own question :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2018, 09:26 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Just lots of extra "popcorn" around each component in a separate box.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #5
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo2410 View Post
I can see some "sagging" as they sit on the desk .. so if they were to be jolted hard then I think there might be some damage.
In that case, better safe than sorry.

Quote:
I will remove them .. I have the original boxes so it's not problem .. i think I have answered my own question :-)
Yes you did. All the best pal.
Closed Thread