Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

SATA-USB adapter caused spark, PC dead - any options?

This is a discussion on SATA-USB adapter caused spark, PC dead - any options? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just installed a SATA-USB adapter at my DVDR Sata drive. Nothing to do wrong there, all clear in terms

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

I just installed a SATA-USB adapter at my DVDR Sata drive. Nothing to do wrong there, all clear in terms if plugs. Came with its own power supply, says explicitely it works with DVD and such.
PC booted, did not see it, I check the cable connection between drive and adapter - spark inside my drive, soft poff sound. And my PC immediatelly switchs off ...
It is not reacting to the power or reset button anymore, PSU and CPU fan spin, power led is on. I tried short cutting the power button pins at the motherboard, absolutely no reaction.
Is there anything left I could try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Emeritus

PC specs?
Prebuilt- Brand Name & Model Number
Custom build- Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-GPU-PSU

Bench test.
Remove EVERYTHING from the case
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity! We are going to try and assemble a running system outside of the case.
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

The system is custom build and ran fine before.
Specs:
- Athlon Phenom II X6 1055T
- Gigabyte MA770-UD3
- PNY GTX460 overclocked
- BeQuiet 500W PSU

Disassembling all of this is going to be a pain, I was glad I had it all inside the case I modded lol. But if it helps ... give me a bit and thanks for the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
Registered Member

External case it is as dead as internal case. Tried another PSU, same thing. Tried another graphics card, same thing.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:29 AM   #5
Emeritus

BeQuiet PSU's are junk and when the junk PSU's go they rarely go alone.
With no RAM installed, boot, listen for beep codes. No RAM and no beep codes indicate a Mobo problem.

When no joy on the bench refer to the last paragraph of the bench test- If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
Registered Member

As I wrote, I swapped parts, starting with the PSU, trying a different video adapter - still all dead. It isn't reacting to shorting the power pins at all anyway so I think the motherboard is plain dead.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
With no RAM installed, boot, listen for beep codes. No RAM and no beep codes indicate a Mobo problem.
Have you tried testing the Mobo as above?

Old 08-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
Registered Member

No, I have to get home first from work before I can try this. But basically absolutely nothing happens when I short the power, the PSU does not react to it, the fans are not stopping, it all is like in some ignore-mode. Edit: What I try to say is: the moment I connect the motherboard to any power supply it starts running the CPU fan connected to it, the graphics adapter fan - and I think I don't even get to the point of igniting a boot attempt by power/reset pins.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
Emeritus

Quote:
No RAM and no beep codes indicate a Mobo problem.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
Registered Member

Yes, I am aware of this, that is what I thought all the time. I'm simply trying to figure out if there is anything I overlook that blocks a motherboard from boot attempts (beside being fried). I read about some going into some kind of "reset mode" which can be removed by getting the CMOS reset. Which I tried, no success.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
Registered Member

Tyree it gets worse. I have tried just motherboard, cpu + fan and graphics adapter and no beep, nothing. So I went to my media center PC and started testing components to figure out what is broken maybe on top.
Graphics adapter is fine, ran FurMark and VideoMem stress test. Ram is fine, ran tests on this.
Then I put my processor (it is supported, I did bios updates too) into my media center PC - and the same thing as with my desktop, lights go on, all has power, drive spins up - but no display. So I thought ok, than it is the motherboard and the cpu.
I put in the media center cpu and ... still the same, all dead.

Can a fried CPU (it looks all normal) damage the motherboard? Or is there any fallback safety mechanism I am triggering here which could be reversed?
Old 08-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
Emeritus

Quote:
No RAM and no beep codes indicate a Mobo problem.
Your further testing of components reinforces a failed Mobo.
The most common reasons for CPU failure is power issue. i.e. low quality/ underpowered PSU* spark inside my drive, soft poff sound* and the low quality PSU only assisted that.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #13
Registered Member

The PSU is fine, it works perfectly well with other PC's and my setup before I had that USB adapter there. Turns out lots of people have trouble with USB-Sata adapter which fry HDs and optical drives from internal short cuts from their cheap own power supplies.
And before you keep going with "BeQuiet is crap" - I think you are mixing up the BeQuiet L series (crap) with the StraightPower 80+ series (which I have, receive constantly good test results and are not exactly cheap).
I've found the problem why my media center would not boot - wrong PSU for the P4/P8 lol. I'm cleaning up a bit before I keep going, too many cables and pieces now, gets messy.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #14
Emeritus

Be Quiet PSU's (all series, except a few of the SeaSonic made Dark Power Pro P10) are made by FSP or HEC.

Closed Thread