Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

safemode, regular startup Windows XP hung

This is a discussion on safemode, regular startup Windows XP hung within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi - I'm trying to find out why my emachines t2341 is not booting up to norm? Initally, the problem

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 05:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi -

I'm trying to find out why my emachines t2341 is not booting up to norm?

Initally, the problem I was having was that I lost the display on my monitor, and when I tried starting up the computer, no display on the monitor.

Then, for some odd reason, the power supply was only working on the cpu fan, cdrom, floppy drive, and the hard drive, but no single beep came out of the pc indicating a good operation.

I've tried removing all the hardware, except the cdrom, floppy and the hard drive, but still the same thing. No beep.

I chatted with the emachines tech, and he said i would have to take it to a repair center due to the 1 year warranty expired.

I also tried running Spinrite to the hard drive, and it didn't find any errors. None of the sectors on the hard drive found unrecoverable.

Therefore, I do not know why when the computer starts up in Safemode or in normal startup, does it hang?

Does anyone experienced this problem? and how could I get to the hard drive to fix the boot up process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2006, 11:03 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to quizme1220 Send a message via Yahoo to quizme1220
Make yourself an Emergency Boot Floppy Disk here is a guide https://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2111p196id112479.htm.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:28 AM   #3

You might want to try an ms-dos boot disk. If there is still no monitor response, your power supply might just be going bad. It might only work enough to make the cpu fan spin. Ms-dos always works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2006, 05:41 AM   #4
Registered Member

So, I tried the emergency boot disk following the instructions, and this is the message I get on the screen...

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. please check windows documetnation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manual for additional information.

I'm not sure what this is trying to tell me, however being this hard drive came from a Emachines T2341 desktop, the motherboard in it wasn't working to boot up the machine, therefore I connected the hard drive to a working machine, and this is what I get using the emergency disk from a working Windows XP machine.

What could possibly be wrong?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2006, 07:21 PM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus, Articles Team

So, you actually took the hdd away from its original pc and plugged it in another one? (I'm asking simply because I haven't understood.)

If yes, how did you install it - as the hdd with the operating system, or as a slave drive?
Old 06-24-2006, 07:59 PM   #6
Registered Member

Yes, originally it was on a Emachines T2341 and I took the hard drive out of it, installed it as a master drive on my spare PC and that message came out.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:37 PM   #7

Hmm, so now your spare pc has as a master hdd the C drive of T2341 - and this drive has a Windows installation.

However, your Windows OS in that drive is set according to the configuration of T2341; and now that it "sees" a completely different configuration, it "feels" that something is way wrong.

If your spare pc does have a hdd with an OS on it, please plug the C drive of T2341 as a slave on the spare pc (careful with the jumper settings), boot normally and see if you can have access to this drive. Post back!
Old 06-28-2006, 01:15 AM   #8
Registered Member

Yes, I attached the hard drive from the T2341 to a working PC as a slave drive, and Yes I can access the drive.

The only thing I can't access on the drive is in the folder of Documents and Settings, the user's folder gives me an "access denied" message. All the other folders in there I don't have a problem accessing it.

Is there something I can run on the hard drive to test it?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2006, 01:38 AM   #9

See How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP and post back.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:21 AM   #10
Registered Member

Does it matter if the working PC is a Windows 200O professional OS and in FAT32? compared to the T2341 Windows XP pro/home? machine with NTFS?

I think this is why I'm getting the access denied error message.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2006, 03:49 AM   #11

Ooops, sorry the linked page was for XP, this is HOW TO: Take Ownership of Files in Windows 2000.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:08 AM   #12
Registered Member

ok.. now it worked...

I can see all the folders, however in the Windows directoy, I only see the system folder and theres nothing in it..

Is there anything I can do like run some tests on the folder or something?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2006, 09:03 AM   #13

Open Windows Explorer > Tools menu > Folder Options... > View tab, select Show all hidden files and uncheck the box Hide protected system files.

Now, "run tests"... please be more explicit on what you want to achieve here.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:25 PM   #14
Registered Member

ok. I get it..

So, if I do see any of the system files, then what is my next option?

If I don't see any of the system files, then what is my next option?

I know this all is in step by step order, but I am just trying to look ahead.

Thanks,

P.S.. by the way, I do appreciate your time in this situation.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:32 PM   #15

Look, it's certain that you'll see folders and files inside the Windows folder, however the fact that it won't be a functioning OS (and mainly because it's hooked on another pc) won't let you perform extended repairs/restores on that drive. The point here is to fully back up all your precious data in the functioning hdd, and then most probably run a diagnostic utility on the broken drive. You will download the appropriate utility from your hdd manufacturer's site. You'll be able to run it without having to remove anything from your old hdd. Do these first and post back so that we move on.
Closed Thread