Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

s with BIOS Version/Date : Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.12, 6/11/2007

This is a discussion on s with BIOS Version/Date : Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.12, 6/11/2007 within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone, A few days ago I made a purchase of 2x1gb Corsair 64M8CFEG (DIMM type : 667 MHz) rams

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hello everyone,

A few days ago I made a purchase of 2x1gb Corsair 64M8CFEG (DIMM type : 667 MHz) rams for my HP m8150.be PC. After inserting both of the rams into the 2 free slots(yes, I made sure I put them in correctly) I got a beeping noise and my computer wouldn't boot. The second action that I took, was take one ram out and leave the other one in. The result I got was no beeping noise, but booting would get stuck on the bios start-up.

I then proceeded to contact HP support and this is what they told me : "Unfortunately it is of very little help since you are not able to access and change the primary and secondary memory timings and increase/decrease Vdimm as needed to make your memory modules work. that is the downside of a manufactured PC's OEM (locked) BIOS."

So basically, my problem is the BIOS of my PC. Could you please suggest any actions I could take to fix the problems that I am getting?

P.S. I tried looking for a BIOS update thinking it would solve the problem, but could not find it.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Anthony Q
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 05:27 AM   #2
Registered Member

UPDATE : Thinking of removing CMOS and then reconfiguring primary and secondary memory timings and increasing/decreasing Vdimm. This was given to me as advice to get my memory rams working. Can anyone tell me if this is a good idea? I am running Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.12, 6/11/2007 BIOS and it is locked due to the manufacturer of the PC(HP).
Old 07-31-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

An OEM saying that it is bad that you can't change advanced bios settings because the OEM locked it?
Sounds.. fishy.

On the HP board specifications page, does it list that it supports 667mhz ddr2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkw427 View Post
An OEM saying that it is bad that you can't change advanced bios settings because the OEM locked it?
Sounds.. fishy.

On the HP board specifications page, does it list that it supports 667mhz ddr2?

Yes, it does. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/image/s...v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Do you have any idea what I should do? Maybe their just saying that because of their regulations?

EDIT : This is the ram I bought and that does not work :
Corsair 1GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667MHz 240-Pin DIMM Memory Module Mfr P/N 64M8CFEG
Old 07-31-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
Emeritus

Mixing RAM brands/specs commonly results in the problems you are experiencing and is the most likely cause of your problem.
OEM Mobo's can be also selective about the RAM they will accept.
Try the Corsair by itself to insure it's working properly and is compatible with your Mobo.
It is always advisable to purchase/install RAM in matched pairs and, for OEM Mobo's, the best brand to help insure compatibility is Crucial.
RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com

Old 07-31-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
Mixing RAM brands/specs commonly results in the problems you are experiencing and is the most likely cause of your problem.
OEM Mobo's can be also selective about the RAM they will accept.
Try the Corsair by itself to insure it's working properly and is compatible with your Mobo.
It is always advisable to purchase/install RAM in matched pairs and, for OEM Mobo's, the best brand to help insure compatibility is Crucial.
RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com
The rams are working when I switch to my new ones and take out the old ones.

Is there any chance that I can combine the both of them...?
Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Possibly, but as Tyree said
Quote:
They may or may not work. Crucial memory however, is assured to work if you buy a matching pair
Old 07-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkw427 View Post
Possibly, but as Tyree said

They may or may not work. Crucial memory however, is assured to work if you buy a matching pair

Do you maybe have any suggestions on what would be my best bet to get them working together?
Old 07-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
If both pairs work by themselves and not together you have a RAM compatibility problem. There is no way to resolve that problem.
If you want 4GB of RAM, your Mobo will support 2GB sticks, the best option is to purchase a matched pair of 2x2GB of Crucial.

Closed Thread