Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

S-ATA mirror problem p4c800 deluxe

This is a discussion on S-ATA mirror problem p4c800 deluxe within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I put in a new program disc and installed win XP on my computer. Then I updated all the

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 10:46 AM   #1

Hello,

I put in a new program disc and installed win XP on my computer. Then I updated all the drivers. I have my programs on a single disc (ide)

Then I have two discs (300 gig) as a stripe on the extra RAID IDE and two 120 gig discs as a mirror for my software/files etc.

The problem i encounter is that I ALMOST DAILY HAVE TO FIX THE MIRRORED ARRAY.

Could it I have to update the S-ATA driver 1.00.0.26 from ASUS.
In my hardware it says now under SCSI and RAID-controllers:

WinXP Promise FastTrak 378 (tm) Controller
WinXP Promise RAID Console SCSI Processor Device

both with driver 1.0.1.37

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,

Theo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
Guru

Hi 4BYE, and welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Could it I have to update the S-ATA driver 1.00.0.26 from ASUS.
In my hardware it says now under SCSI and RAID-controllers:
WinXP Promise FastTrak 378 (tm) Controller
WinXP Promise RAID Console SCSI Processor Device
both with driver 1.0.1.37 Is this correct?
Yes this is correct. No, you do not need the S-ATA driver, which you cannot install anyway since your Promise chip is in RAID mode.

Quote:
have my programs on a single disc (ide)...I have two discs (300 gig) as a stripe on the extra RAID IDE and two 120 gig discs as a mirror for my software/files etc. The problem i encounter is that I ALMOST DAILY HAVE TO FIX THE MIRRORED ARRAY.
Let me see if I've guessed your config right:

PRI_IDE master= IDE OS HDD
PRI_IDE slave= empty
SEC_IDE master= CDROM
SEC_IDE slave= empty
SATA1 & 2= empty
SATA_RAID1 & 2= 2x 120G SATA in RAID0
PRI_RAID= 2x 300G IDE in RAID1

That sounds like you have 6 drives in your machine. One thing that can cause RAID array dropouts is insufficient output from the power supply. With 6 drives you'd easily be a candidate for a good reliable 550W supply like the Antec Truepower 550W, especially if you've got any 3.xGHz CPU or a Prescott.
??So please tell us about your power supply, and also your CPU; the model numbers of the RAID drives might also help a bit.

There are other causes too, everything from the hard drive firmware sending it into "acoustic suppression" mode, to timing differences between the drives, or software or BIOS bugs. You're on the latest software & BIOS, so there's no help there. RAID on IDE when you have only one IDE port is not very efficient, due to the sharing of the cable, and except for the power supply issue, this is the only other thing I can think of that may be at the root of your problem.

Only other idea is whether your BIOS might be old. Latest version is 1017. The Promise BIOS won't likely change, but there could be effects from other minor changes elsewhere in the general BIOS, so if you need to update, please see the thread, Asus P4P800/P4C800 Series: How to Update BIOS for helpful hints.

-clintfan
Old 10-18-2004, 11:45 PM   #3

Hello,

Thanks for your help!

I must say I have a ZIP as slave on the ide and a dvd-rom AND writer on the other IDE. That make the configuration complete. I use a P4 2400 Mhz.

I have 2 MAXTOR S-ATA 120 gig drives in the mirror, and 2 MAXTOR 300 gig. in the stripe.

I have the latest BIOS.

I need to say that when re-installing me program disc I didn't use the ASUS cd-rom, but updated all the drivers from the ones saved on my disc. Could it be that I missed something not included in there?

I have a AOPEN 400 WATT! I have gone to several stores asking if I would need more. The most salespeople said 300 was enough. I couldn't believe that so I bought the 400 watt.

I was thinking of using the mirror configuration as 2 seperate drives on the S-ATA connections above the S-ATA raid ones. This way I would use my Retrospect software to duplicate the second one with the stuff I have on the first one. I would have to be carefull doing it all the time, but on the other hand it is easy because it just adds the changed files. This is how I update my 2 stripe discs (G + H) that are full with my cd's in .ape format.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Theo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2004, 01:09 AM   #4

Hello,

Sorry I forgot to say, that if it could be the power supply it maybe is wise to disconnect the two stripe discs for a couple of days.

That way it will show me if it's going better or the same...

Thanks again,

Theo
Old 10-21-2004, 01:15 AM   #5

Hello,

It's getting worse...

Now when I start up my computer it doesn't recognize my c drive with the programs.

When restarting a couple of times I manage to start up...

With the 2 300 gig. drives removed I didn't get improvement, just that the c drive wasn't recognized.

Since I'm not working a lot I can't tell if the mirror is holding up.

When asking around for the ANTEC 550 sales people say 400 should be more then enough, but is there a site where you can see what's used in a system?

Thanks so much,

Theo
Closed Thread