Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Ryzen 5 3600 and air cooling

This is a discussion on Ryzen 5 3600 and air cooling within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I will buy a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU. I've read many people saying the stock cooler is not good. I

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Rich-M
Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 01:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

I will buy a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU.
I've read many people saying the stock cooler is not good. I want to get an air cooler.
The place I will buy the CPU from has only the following cooler brands:
Alpenfohn, Asus, Corsair, Fazn, NZXT

Has anybody tried one of those brands on a Ryzen 5 3600 for AIR cooling?
If yes, what was the exact model and what were the results (temperatures, noise)?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2020, 08:09 AM   #2
Registered Member

Add Arctic to the brands I mentioned.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:24 PM   #3
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Are you planing overclocking?

For stock clocks or mild over clocks the Wraith Stealth Cooler it comes with works ok.

If you want to move up the Arctic Freezer 12 is a decent cooler but louder and the extra costs puts you better then half way to the cost of the 3600x with the better stock cooler.

Also be aware if you are looking for PCIe 4.0 support you'll need a X5xx chipset motherboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 07:36 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for your ideas.

No oc, no games. But I know I want a better cooler based on what I've read. I just need information from somebody who has experience with Ryzen 5 3600 + air cooling with Alpenfohn or Arctic.

3600x has a better cooler but is also more hot, right (95W vs 65W)?

I don't think I need PCIe 4.0, so I am thinking Gigabyte B450 Aorus M.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:27 PM   #5
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

It is capable of running a higher wattage(more heat) if you use it maxed out or Overclock it. Those numbers are maximums in normal use it draws the same power.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:24 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench97 View Post
It is capable of running a higher wattage(more heat) if you use it maxed out or Overclock it. Those numbers are maximums in normal use it draws the same power.
Thanks for the info. I still want a better cooler than the one on 3600x. See:
I tested my 3600x with a cheap $24 Thermaltake Contac Silent 12 tower cooler and it completely outperformed the stock cooler by a mile. Dropped my temps 20c testing with prime95 blended test.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...mp-and-gaming/
Old 01-07-2020, 04:18 AM   #7
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

I agree with @Wrench97, if you're not gaming and don't have intensive loads or not going to OC, it's not going to matter, since you will never have a sustained load, for normal usage, the stock cooler is more than sufficient.

If you monitor the core clock and if the freq does not exceed the base frequency (you don't even hit the Boost clock freq) then your workload is very minimal and a 3rd party cooler might be overkill, because case air flow matters as well.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:47 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar View Post
I agree with @Wrench97, if you're not gaming and don't have intensive loads or not going to OC, it's not going to matter, since you will never have a sustained load, for normal usage, the stock cooler is more than sufficient.

If you monitor the core clock and if the freq does not exceed the base frequency (you don't even hit the Boost clock freq) then your workload is very minimal and a 3rd party cooler might be overkill, because case air flow matters as well.
My usage is not normal. I will not go into details. And the summer it can be very hot. I just want a better cooler.

New data: Unfortunately, the place I will buy the parts from cannot bring Arctic coolers and I will have to get a cooler elsewhere. So, I am not restricted to specific brands.

Has anybody tried R5 3600 with an air cooler they can suggest?
Old 01-07-2020, 06:53 AM   #9
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Limiting the info you provide limits the response you might recieve, since you tried something which you consider to have outperformed the stock cooler why not consider using it.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:57 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Limiting the info you provide limits the response you might recieve, since you tried something which you consider to have outperformed the stock cooler why not consider using it.
I neved said I tried something. I will buy a new mobo+cpu and I need info from someone who has worked with an air cooler on R5 3600.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:58 AM   #11
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by George300 View Post
Thanks for the info. I still want a better cooler than the one on 3600x. See:
I tested my 3600x with a cheap $24 Thermaltake Contac Silent 12 tower cooler and it completely outperformed the stock cooler by a mile. Dropped my temps 20c testing with prime95 blended test.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...mp-and-gaming/
You posted the above.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:04 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
You posted the above.
Oh, ok. The sentence starting with "I tested my 3600x" is referring to the link below. Somebody else wrote that. Before that sentence, I wrote: "See:".
Old 01-07-2020, 02:32 PM   #13
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I feel a bit like a broken record but actually I think the stock cooler is quite impressive, certainly for normal usage you seem to require. I just built a system with the Ryzen 3600 and stock cooler and I am seriously impressed!
tristar and SpareChange like this.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:56 AM   #14
Registered Member

I have collected enough data and I need no more. Now, I will have to make a decision.
Thanks for your help.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:54 AM   #15
Registered Member

Cooler for a Ryzen 5 3600:
1)How much better (temperature wise) are Alpenfoehn Sella (https://www.alpenfoehn.de/en/products/cpu-cooler/sella) and Cryorig H7 (CRYORIG H7 | Research Idea Gear) compared to Wraith Stealth (stock cooler)?
2)Alpenfoehn Sella vs Cryorig H7: Which is better and how much?
Thanks
Old 01-11-2020, 05:00 PM   #16
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Both coolers will get you about -10-15c lower temps under load. Idle not so much maybe 3c but load there is a big difference. Of course there is a difference between "load", meaning gaming load is different from rendering load, with rendering load (extreme) the Wraith Stealth will not hold up under rendering all-core even with just AMD default CPU boost clocks (no PBO). Gaming is ok with the Wraith Stealth unless you're forcing all cores. I also have an R5 3600 and I use the Coolermaster 212 Black which is comparable to the Cryorig you mention.

Ballpark Figures
---------------------------------

Stock Stealth 32c idle / 65-70c gaming (avg) / 90-95c Render (avg and will throttle)

Hyper 212 Black Edition 30c idle / 52-60c gaming (avg) / 80-83c max render (no throttling)
Old 01-11-2020, 05:18 PM   #17
Hardware Tech Team

My System

The AMD Wraith Stealth is fine for normal usage and gaming. Intensive rendering is the only area where it would give issues temperature wise.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:21 PM   #18
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by George300 View Post
My usage is not normal. I will not go into details. And the summer it can be very hot. I just want a better cooler.

New data: Unfortunately, the place I will buy the parts from cannot bring Arctic coolers and I will have to get a cooler elsewhere. So, I am not restricted to specific brands.

Has anybody tried R5 3600 with an air cooler they can suggest?
Hyper 212 Black.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:28 PM   #19
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

George300,

I have merged your threads.

Please do not create multiple threads about the same issue.

If you have no reply to your thread within 48 hours, you may reply to your own thread with the message, "Bump please". This will bring your thread back to the top of the list.

Quote:
MULTIPLE POSTING

This refers to posting the same question or same replies in multiple areas of the site (also called flooding). Please post only once. If you feel you have posted in the wrong forum, contact a Moderator or Manager, who will move the post for you. This also includes the creation of multiple new threads on the same or similar topics and sending PM's continuously to one or more Staff members.

Rules
Also, if you want to quote content from elsewhere, please enclose in quote tags. [quote]Like this[/quote]

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Closed Thread