Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Random restarts

This is a discussion on Random restarts within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently build a new computer about 2 weeks ago and just today i started having this odd problem, when

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 04:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

I recently build a new computer about 2 weeks ago and just today i started having this odd problem, when playing games it will randomly just shut off, sometimes restarting, sometimes i need to hit the power button to bring it back on.

The very first time it did this, upon restarting, i noticed that it says on my ASUS start menu right before the windows boot screen (3 cores unlocked!) and its always said (4 cores unlocked!).. well i had to go into the BIOS and under the settings for the CPU the 4th Core was set to [off] somehow, i turned it back on and that was fixed, it now says (4 cores).. but anyways, i don't think this is an overheating issue either, i've been monitoring the temps and they don't seem to be going above 50c while gaming, around 32c idle.

Here is a screenshot to maybe help, I have no idea what the problem could be right now, i'm guessing maybe its the CPU

https://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1556215 <-- Click

edit: In the last screen shot the temp's for each core are inaccurate right now, when i have the ASUS core-unlocker feature enabled, CPU-Z will not be able to read them, but if i go into the BIOS and turn off the core-unlocker feature it will read them, but as i said i never saw them really go above 50c at all during that time.

PSU: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139005

GPU: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130557

Case: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129058
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
Emeritus

Check your Temps and Voltages in the Bios for the most accurate readings.
Your problem sounds like a power issue. You have a good PSU but even Corsair can be faulty. Can you test your household electrical outlet or try another outlet?

Old 12-26-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to Niram

Is the memory you have a 3x2GB set?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2010, 06:36 AM   #4
Registered Member

Okay will do, Also the wiring in our house is a little poor it seems, since having this computer if we turn on the microwave in the kitchen, it makes the circuit breaker in our house 'flip off to orange' and the power to my room basicly goes off, this never happened before with my old computer (200 watt PSU in it, and very weak celeron processor, on board gfx) but were moving some things around to prevent it.

(Im not sure if thats related to my restarts any though, as nobody is up right now and nothing is really happening except for the heating, the power in my room stays on and i don't have to go flip the switch back on at the circuit breaker)

What exactly do you mean by 'test your household electrical outlet' ? Is there maybe some type of device i need to get to see if its putting out enough power?

Also one last thing - I've got my computer and monitor all plugged into this thing https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812120401 , I've actually unplugged it just about 2 hours ago and put my computer and monitor directly into the wall and the issue hasn't re-occurred yet, but its to soon to tell maybe.

@the other guy: Yes it is the 6GB set, Here is a link to the exact one i purchased https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231223
Old 12-26-2010, 06:41 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to Niram

It's not really recommended to use a tri-channel set on a dual channel motherboard, if the problem occurs again, try removing the stick thats not in dual channel and see if everything works
Old 12-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

review your motherboard manual; your board uses ram in matched pairs / not matched 3's

review the memory section of your manual and verify which ram slots are the primary set / put one stick of memory in each for a total of two sticks

example: probably will be slot #1 and slot number #3 (they are color coded by match pairs of ram slots)

then retart the computer

download and run OCCT stress program (free)

watch your cpu temps and voltages as the system runs the cpu stress utility / abort testign if the temps get to 65C and watch your voltages / abort testing if the 12volt drops to 11.7 volts and abort if 3.3 volts gets 2.9volts or lower

keep us posted with your progress

I am thinking your funky ram configuration and overheating are your problems
Closed Thread