Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Random reboting error...

This is a discussion on Random reboting error... within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Okay see heres the problem..Last few days I've just being using my computer on nothing special just browseing in Mozilla

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

Okay see heres the problem..Last few days I've just being using my computer on nothing special just browseing in Mozilla Firefox and random stuff, and my computer has just rebooted, only did it once a few days back.

Thought maybe I have some sort of trojan, or something along those lines. So I thought I'd do a spyware scan with AVG & a virus scan with NOD32. AVF found a backdoor and few other things, deleted it/them. Nothing happened since, so I thought nothing of it.

So, today I thought I'd do a bit of gaming, before hand I just thought I'd check out how my CPU & everything is running, Temperature is normal around 50C but the odd thing is, my CPU fan is running at around 4300 - 4500 RPM, which I think is a little too fast. But I'm a novice so I really don't know.

I decided to do a bit of gaming anyhow..While in crysis I cut back to desktop and checked pc wizard again, my CPU temp was normal. But my CPU fan was at 4800 RPM. I thought well I'm running Crysis that must be normal.

But after I stopped gaming, I was waiting a while, but my PC was pretty much idle, and my fan was still running at around 4300-4500 RPM.

just a while ago, my PC rebooted, and after 4 or 5 minutes being turned on, it rebooted again. I have a feeling this is hardware related, could it be to do with the CPU fan? or is the CPU fan running normal, just I've seen it running at 3600 while CPU temp is at 60C before, and I thought that was stable.

Here's my Specs:
Mobo: ASUS M2N-E SLI [nForce 500]
RAM: 2GB ( 2 x 1GB OCZ 800 mhz )
CPU: AMD x2 6000+
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT 256 MB
Hard drive: 250 GB Maxtor & 500 GB Western Digital
PSU: 500W Coolermaster

Johay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #2

Do you have another power supply you can try or a multimeter you can use to test the power supply?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

60C is a bit too hot I think. Even for a dual core. Although you might wait for someone that owned one to let you know for sure.

The reboots are usually either heat or memory.
- so if you can reapply the thermal paste and see if the heatsink is sitting properly would be a good idea.

Also:
Download memtest86+
put it onto a cd or floppy. Boot to it and let it run 4-5 FULL passes.

Post back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008, 05:49 AM   #4
Registered Member

@ steelman2202:
My friend as the CPU. At idle it's around 30C. but while gaming it does get very hot, 45-55. I know 60C is quite unsafe, but I think it was just around a "one-off" and normally while gaming it 'should' be around 50C.

"The reboots are usually either heat or memory. "
I really think this could be due to heat, and not memory, on the basis my memory is new (I know that means nothing these day) And also, I've been getting theses fan issues.

I don't have any Thermal Paste. Think it would be an idea buying a tube? Obviously when I fitted CPU there was some already on. But I've had it for a good 8-12 weeks now.

I 'tried' to try memtest86+ but it wouldn't boot from disc. I set boot device as 1 everything else disabled, and it's ask for a system disc "boot failure". If i set CD/DVD-rw as boot 1 and HD 2. Hard drive just boots. Maybe a error with DVD or not bootable CD's.

I just can't see how it could be the memory, since I'm having this heat issue. If there was a error with memory wouldn't anything else strange happen?

@ TheMatt:
I don't have a multimeter. I have a PSU in another computer but it's only a 350W and I really don't think it would power my system, probably cause more damage.

----------
I'd also like to thank you for you're replys and any replys and helpful comments from everyone after this point.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

What CPU fan do you have? Is it the stock one?

Your motherboard may have a setting in BIOS that tells the CPU fan how fast to run.

Also, I just want to doublecheck - you did burn the ISO file inside the zip archive for memtest using a special cd burning program, right? (ie Sonic, Nero, etc)

The thermal paste is up to you, usually, there is a little bit of improvement from using the stock paste. More improvement came from using an aftermarket heatsink and fan.

As far as it being an issue with memory, it is just my experience in terms of random reboots. (my memory was only a couple of months old as well)

One thing you could try to give us a bit more information is to download speedfan and look at the voltage readings it gives. This is not 100% conclusive, but it could give us an idea of whether we need to press the PSU issue further. (you could also use PC wizard if it shows voltages)
Old 01-19-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman2202 View Post
What CPU fan do you have? Is it the stock one?

Your motherboard may have a setting in BIOS that tells the CPU fan how fast to run.

Also, I just want to doublecheck - you did burn the ISO file inside the zip archive for memtest using a special cd burning program, right? (ie Sonic, Nero, etc)

The thermal paste is up to you, usually, there is a little bit of improvement from using the stock paste. More improvement came from using an aftermarket heatsink and fan.

As far as it being an issue with memory, it is just my experience in terms of random reboots. (my memory was only a couple of months old as well)

One thing you could try to give us a bit more information is to download speedfan and look at the voltage readings it gives. This is not 100% conclusive, but it could give us an idea of whether we need to press the PSU issue further. (you could also use PC wizard if it shows voltages)
- Using the CPU heatsink & fan I got with the CPU.
- After taking a quick look, the only thing I could find is, a "Fan warning system" which is like if it goes below 800 RPM it will reboot.
- I'll probably get some thermal paste, just to be safe.
- Voltages screenshot, I took with; PC Wizard, but if SpeedFan has more info, i will install that.
https://i11.tinypic.com/6u42p8k.jpg

I'll try Memtest on another CD, as I do have to admit, I did a stupid mistake of just transfering the file via my computer instead of using some software to burn it with, sort of a habit, since I'm always copying files over.

Also any Fans & Heatsinks you suggest for my CPU which would be better, reliable & stable?

Updated:
Burned with nero, still got the same error, that will be something to do with either my CD, or my cheap DVD-rw I guess. Never seems to boot from disc.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:37 AM   #7

Your +12V is way out of the acceptable range of the 12V on ATX power supplies. Double check that reading in the BIOS to make sure its accurate. If it in fact is, replace your power supply with a newer, higher quality unit.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #8
Registered Member

Think I'll get the Antec trio 650W. Would the voltage problem be causing the random reboots?
Old 01-20-2008, 09:26 AM   #9

A low Power_Good signal can, and if the +12V is that low then chances are the Power_Good is dropping out of range as well.
Closed Thread