Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Random freezes, hangs while sleeping etc

This is a discussion on Random freezes, hangs while sleeping etc within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I’m having issues with a rather old PC. The biggest issue is the random freezes that occur. There

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi all,

I’m having issues with a rather old PC. The biggest issue is the random freezes that occur. There are no BSOD restarts just an unrecoverable freeze that is sometimes accompanied by the sound from the speaker associated with a freeze. The only way to recover from this is a hard reset.

Then, the PC takes several restarts before video output and power to the usb devices. I suspect there is a motherboard or RAM failure here.

Speccy Log forthcoming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2018, 09:08 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

https://speccy.piriform.com/results/8...gmFoeaZTk05FDa
Old 03-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Your Speccy link does not work. Could you post it again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

It’s working on mine, I’ll see if I can get it to boot again and repost it.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:16 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

https://speccy.piriform.com/results/...gmFoeaZTk05FDa
Old 03-19-2018, 04:48 PM   #6
Registered Member

It'll work if you delete the S in the address bar. There are a few problems the worst being that it appears your HDD is failing. Please see the below SMART values.

Attribute name:
Reported Uncorrectable Errors

Real value: 65,535

Attribute name:
Reallocated Sectors Count

Real value: 457

Also your system just barely is compatible with Windows 10. You aren't likely to have a 100% satisfactory experience. You might want to consider Windows 7 or 8 which run well on machines with fewer resources.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

The problem is that it won’t even boot half of the time. I had a feeling the HDD was failing because of the random crashes but the peculiar thing is that the freeze is accompanied by several failed boots.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:42 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

After consideration and the fact that it is well past time for an upgrade Iíve ordered the following:

MSI Pro Series Intel B250 LGA 1151 DDR4 HDMI USB 3.1 micro-ATX Motherboard (B250M PRO-VDH)

Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200)

Samsung 250gb SSD

I already have a Celeron G3900 laying around but what i5 do yíall recommend. They all seem to run around $170-230.

Power Supply is a Corsair CX500.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #9
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

I wish you would have consulted with us before making a snap decision on buying new hardware.

While Microsoft says 4GB is a minimum requirement for Windows 10, I would have recommended at least 8GB for smooth operation.

Did you notice you purchased a micro-ATX motherboard? Not a huge problem, but you will be drastically lacking in PCI slots.

Do you need an i5? What do you do on the PC?
Old 03-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
I wish you would have consulted with us before making a snap decision on buying new hardware.
I had to make the cutoff window for Amazons next day shipping and luckily I -halfway- know what I am doing

While Microsoft says 4GB is a minimum requirement for Windows 10, I would have recommended at least 8GB for smooth operation.
I did get 8GB

Did you notice you purchased a micro-ATX motherboard? Not a huge problem, but you will be drastically lacking in PCI slots.
I did, I only have one graphics card Iíll need, no plans on upgrading, donít need the fancy lights, etc. I donít see ever needing another pci slot other than the one x16.

Do you need an i5? What do you do on the PC?
I probably donít, but if there are issues I will get it. If the $40 celeron can handle it I will stick with that. This pc is not used for much more than web based internet work and browsing. No games.

I apologize for taking this thread in a different direction from the original post, but I finally overcame my stubbornness and decided the old setup was probably going to be more trouble than it was worth. After some troubleshooting I believe the motherboard or RAM was failing, as the random freezes were accompanied by inability to reboot with the only way to get it to eventually restart was removing the RAM and also strange errors such as overclocking failed etc when bios settings had not been changed.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:43 AM   #11
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

I would recommend using the new i3 CPUs rather than a Celeron.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Today I received everything. Installed the Celeron G3900 that I already had to update the BIOS on another system into the MSI B250 with 8GB of Ballistix RAM. Put a fresh copy of Win7 onto the SSD and everything is working fine.

Upon removal of the old Motherboard I observed that the bottom of the Motherboard actually began to sag where the CPU sits. I am assuming several years of storage with the Arctic Freezer 7 on top of the CPU is the cause of this..and I am sure it caused stress on the joints. Anyway, we will see how the Celeron holds up, no issues so far. If I run into anything I will drop a 6 series i3 or i5 into it.

Thanks.
Closed Thread