Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

RAID drives unseen by XP

This is a discussion on RAID drives unseen by XP within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am building a new machine; using a mobo with onboard Promise RAID, a pair of WD800JB HD’s, and Windows

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 01:56 AM   #1

I am building a new machine; using a mobo with onboard Promise RAID, a pair of WD800JB HD’s, and Windows XP. I had a successful first install, everything worked great. Then I re-arranged my cables connecting the HD’s to the mobo and all hell broke loose. I think I flipped the drive cables or something. So I decided to re-install. No luck.

When trying to re-install Windows XP using RAID, I continually get the message “Setup did not find any hard drives installed in your computer.” The drives install OK on the standard Master/Slave IDE config…but not through the RAID controller. The BIOS sees the drives, the RAID BIOS sees the drives, and FDISK sees the drives (sees them as one drive, appropriately) when I boot from floppy. The Windows RAID controllers load up during the initial stages of XP installation. But soon after that, XP gives me the error message that it can’t find any hard drives.

I’m completely at a loss. I can’t find any relevant info on the net. Gigabyte (the mobo manufacturer), Western Digital, and Microsoft don’t seem to have anything about this. I’d say the problem is with XP, except for the fact that installation went OK initially.

Any help would be welcome. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2002, 06:18 AM   #2
SPEEDO

OK let see if this is what you've got?

One hard drive set as master on IDE3

One hard drive set as master on IDE4

You have enabled the promise raid controller.

Then fdisked at which point it should see the full volume of both drives.

Then boot to the XP CD and press F6 when prompted to insall the raid program.

Which model is your motherboard so that I can double check this info that I have given you.....:D

Old 07-19-2002, 10:29 AM   #3

Thanks for taking the time to respond! OK, some more information for you:

Gigabyte GA-8IHXP board (P4 533 i850E Chipset)
BIOS is American Megatrends
Onboard RAID is a Promise PCD20276 Chip

I am trying to Install XP striped onto clean drives. So I’m booting off my WindowsXPPro CD, and proceeding with its instructions for a first-time install. I do hit F6 during the install and feed it the RAID drivers (“MBFastTrak 133 Lite Controller”) from a floppy

Under the “Integrated Peripherals” menu, the BIOS has an option for the onboard promise chip to be set as Disabled, ATA, or RAID. I have it set to RAID. There is also an option for onboard IDE to be set as Disabled, Both, Primary, or Secondary. I have it set to Both, so the system can see my CD ROM drives.

I have both HD’s jumpers set to “cable select,” which worked fine for the initial install and is still visible to the BIOS and RAID. They’re also visible when both jumped as “slave” but surprisingly not visible when both jumped as “master.”

Fdisk sees both drives as one 160GB drive, so the RAID controller seems to be doing it’s job. I have tried the XP install with the drives unpartitioned and with a primary DOS partition.

That’s about all the relevant details I can think of right now. Things seem to go OK right up to the point where WindowsXP says I don’t have any drives connected and that it therefore can’t install and makes me hit F3 to shut down.

Oh the joy! =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2002, 03:51 PM   #4
SPEEDO

Are you using the ATA 66/100-80 wire type IDE cables? One for each drive?

If so the blue end must go to the motherboard.

The grey middle connector should not be connected to anything.

And the black end needs to go to the hard drive.

Try setting them both to master and start the process over from the beginning!

I'm going to download your manual and scope it out!.....:D

Old 07-22-2002, 10:08 AM   #5

Thanks for your help, speedo. I finally got this figured out.

Turns out my problem was caused by confusion in terminology between the RAID manuals and the Hard Drive's manuals.

I had set the HD's to "master" as specified in the RAID manual. However, it looks like the master jumper setting for the drives is only for use when 2 drives are on one cable, and that I actually wanted the "neutral" jumper setting (i.e. no jumpers at all).

Sorry about the cross-post - I found this forum after I posted in the XP forum and figured this was a more appropriate place for my problem. I tried to let the other thread lie until some alert mod closed it!

I appreciate your help, thanks again!

- G
Old 07-22-2002, 11:03 AM   #6
SPEEDO

Now that you mentioned it I just noticed your using WD drives and you are correct in the no jumpers setup.

I should have caught this but sometimes you just overlook things like this.......

But you got it working and that is what counts......:D

Closed Thread