Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Raid 5 Recovery

This is a discussion on Raid 5 Recovery within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am a bit of a noob and first time posting here.. Couldnt get PC to start. It would turn

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am a bit of a noob and first time posting here..
Couldnt get PC to start. It would turn on for 20 seconds and then shut off.
Decided to take out CMOS Battery to reset BIOS.
This worked and computer started.
However my RAID5 Volume is now missing.
Am I screwed?

If so can I recover data?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2018, 12:10 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

For the time being do not replace the Disks or change the controllers to which they're connected, or remove switch any disks. Startup the PC go to the BIOS and you might need to recover the RAID volume. Can you post us your BIOS RAID options screenshot ?

Also, check the SATA Operation to see if AHCI/RAID is enabled for the Disks, a screenshot here as well will help.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

I switched the SATA operation from AHCI to Raid and now I get an option to configure utility. However the option to recover raid is not clickable. Seems like the disks are all there and be recognized. Two of them are not being recognized as part of the RIAD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4027.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	319610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4024.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	319612   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4026.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	319614  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4028.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	319616  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
Registered Member

I am trying to figure out how to attach some photos for you.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:17 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Ok, a few questions:

- Was the order of the disks changed at any time ? Did you try to switch controllers or the disks
- Did you try to boot the system in the existing state into windows and run some kind of fix or did Windows attempt to fix on it's own ?
- Do you know how the disks were setup in terms of RAID ? Which disk was what ?
- Have you backed up the Disk images/Disk data elsewhere ?

A high level of what you would be doing, resetting the disks to non-members, run a partition recovery tool such as Testdisk, recover the partition table and then boot into the OS (if the table cannot be found, you have disk order issues, disk corruption)

Do not attempt the high level steps until you have answers on the above questions or you'll be running around in circles.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #6
Registered Member

The disks have been the same since installed three years ago.
theres one SSD for bootup. one SSD for data I think and then there is the RAID. which consists of 4 hd. I have not purposely changed the order of the disks. It seems like the order was switched when I took the CMOS battery out?
I did not switch the controllers for the disks. (not sure what you mean by controllers)
Windows boots fine since its on another one of the SSD's and I get a notification from Intel Rapid Storage that a drive is missing. There aren'e really any options to fix it except for rebuilding the raid. However I do not want to rebuild because I believe all the data will be overwritten. And like an idiot I have not backed anything up.

It seems like there are two hard drives that are out of order on the raid. Im wondering if there is a way to get them back into the right order without rebuilding raid?
Old 04-17-2018, 04:43 AM   #7
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

At this point, use any Disk imaging tools to take full Disk images, just in case..

I can't think of any off the top of my head, someone had suggested a good utility earlier, but haven't used it much.

controller - Sata port to which the disk was connected

If the Disk order was changed then chances are that the partition table cannot be identified, I'm going to let someone else with a little more knowledge on RAID Answer this.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:26 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. going to try to make disk images now. Hopefully someone else will have some ideas.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:55 PM   #9
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Once you've taken a Disk image, then you can safely switch the Member disks to Non-raid and run a utility like TestDisk which can identify the partition table.

Or chances are that you're able to recover directly from the RAID BIOS once the drives are moved to Non-RAID.

Closed Thread