Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

PSU and ASUS motherboard issues

This is a discussion on PSU and ASUS motherboard issues within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Morning gents! Could someone assist me with some troubleshooting. I have a ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard which is not working

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 05:44 AM   #1
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

Morning gents!

Could someone assist me with some troubleshooting. I have a ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard which is not working properly. Firstly it was not booting up and I removed what I suspected was a faulty 550W PSU (HEC-550TD-PTE). I did the paper clip test and while the PSU booted up for a few seconds it then died so thought all the problems on the motherboard would be solved by replacing this.

I have a spare working 475W PSU which I hooked up to the motherboard however it fails to power on if I plug the 20pin connector in, the green standby LED on the board lights but there is no other activity on the hard drives or connected devices, CPU, fan etc. If I unplug the 20pin connector and plug it direct to the hard drives only they do power up find along with the chassis lights and fan. I'm a bit stumped, could someone point me in the right direction please?

Kind regards

Trevor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 06:24 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Make and model number of EVERYTHING inside the case? Motherboard? Both PSUs? GPU? etc.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
Emeritus

The 550W HEC is poor quality and the paper clip test only insures the PSU is capable if running but not if it can boot/run a PC. If it has failed, it's possible it did some damage as is common with low quality PSU's.
Your Mobo requires a 20+4 PSU connection so the 475W PSU is of no use.
With a known good PSU connected, remove all RAM, boot, listen for beep codes from the Mobo speaker. No RAM and no beeps indicates a Mob problem.
NOTE: A Mobo speaker is required.

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Get red LED on motherboard (Asus P8z77-v lx) after new RMA PSU
I just got my new PSU from OCZ through an RMA, and I have done a breadboard build. I get a red LED on the memOk area of the motherboard, however I have tried both 2gb sticks of ram in each of the 4 RAM slots (A1,A2,B1,B2). Do I need to buy a new motherboard? I am leaning towards Gigabyte z77d3h...
dempaaa Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 4 02-28-2013 04:12 PM
PSU or Motherboard issue?
First of all, my specs: - Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - ASUS M4A78T-E - AMD Phenom II X3 710 - 2 Gb RAM 1067 MHz, 2 modules, different voltages but not dual channel. - Ati Radeon HD 5670 1 Gb - WD Caviar Green 1 Tb SATA - WD Caviar Green 2 Tb SATA - PSU supposedly "500 W"
ssmusic Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 10 02-06-2013 09:44 AM
[SOLVED] PSU replaced, BIOS won't read SATA drives, then strange power issue
Synopsis: PSU died, replaced PSU with different model, system boots to bios successfully but does not recognize any devices in SATA ports, nor do those devices appear to be getting power. Now can't even get to BIOS, entire PC flicks on and off repeatedly as soon as I turn the PSU on regardless of...
nstiver Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 14 10-22-2012 11:56 AM
[SOLVED] New build - some help needed
Hello again! I decided to make a new build soon in the future, but I need you to help me decide what parts to choose, will they fit together and so on (I don't know a lot about hardware, basics yeah, but, you know). Here are my answers to those stickied questions: Budget: Well, prices here...
neko_ceko Building 19 09-08-2012 04:36 AM
[SOLVED] Asus P8P67LE motherboard with 600w psu
I am building a computer and I have i3 cpu, but it only starts up for a split second then shuts off. I have unpluged everything except the 24 pin connector. Please help!
GuruGuy Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 6 01-10-2012 08:03 PM