Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Promise Drivers - P4P800-E Delux

This is a discussion on Promise Drivers - P4P800-E Delux within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Dear All, I bought an ASUS Mpotherboard (P4P800-E Delux) and I have some doubts about drivers installation, such as: 1

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 07:08 AM   #1

Dear All,

I bought an ASUS Mpotherboard (P4P800-E Delux) and I have some doubts about drivers installation, such as:
1 - I only must install the Intel RAID driver (always during the OS installing – F6 etc. …) if I will use the raid function of ICH5R chipset south bridge, isn't true? Otherwise I don’t need to do that.

2 – If I will use the raid function of Promise PDC20378 RAID Controller (using IDE_RAID and SATA_RAID1 / SATA_RAID2 ) to create a RAID set/array, I must install (during the OS installing) the Promise Fast trak 378 driver, isn't true?

3 – If I don’t need use the RAID function of PDC20378 RAID Controller, but I want to use the IDE_RAID and SATA_RAID1 / SATA_RAID2 motherboard connectors to have more HDD connected, would I install (during the OS installing) the Promise SATA378 driver ?

4 - In the Motherboard Manual I find the Promise 20378 RAID (chapter 2-28) and the Promise PDC20378 RAID (Chapter 2-29), are they the same thing?

5 – In the installation CD Drivers I find an item to install the Promise 20378 RAID controller driver. Is this driver the same that I speak in the question 2, above? If are the same, must I install it after install the OS and not with the Flopy during the OS installation?
I will be grateful if some one could help me to understand the differences between these drivers.

PS. Sorry about my English -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2004, 09:19 AM   #2
mark3567

Hi,

I am going to bump you on and in the meantime want you to search the references from Clintfan about this issue. He has a sticky and some other threads that are excellent in this area. Clintfan is the most skilled in the area of RAID function.

Old 09-18-2004, 10:05 AM   #3
Guru

Hi MRoberto, yes I think I can answer all your questions. However I may confuse you... let me know if you have more questions after this...

Quote:
I bought an ASUS Mpotherboard (P4P800-E Delux)
A pretty nice motherboard. This board has 2 RAID controllers: Intel ICH5R/82801ER, and Promise PDC20378. Both controllers will also run in non-RAID (IDE) mode. But the Promise shares the PCI bus with other devices, while the Intel does not. For that reason we like to use the Promise for data-archival, not for running the OS.

Quote:
I have some doubts about drivers installation, such as:
1 - I only must install the Intel RAID driver (always during the OS installing – F6 etc. …) if I will use the raid function of ICH5R chipset south bridge, isn't true? Otherwise I don’t need to do that.
This driver is only for RAID. If you do not want to run RAID then you do not need to install any special Intel driver... just set the BIOS Main-IDE Configuration like this:

Onboard IDE Operate Mode= Enhanced
Enhanced Mode Support On= S-ATA
Configure S-ATA as RAID= No
IDE Detect Time Out= 35
(then hit F10 to save)

If instead you want to run RAID now, then you will require 2 identical SATA drives attached to the SATA1 & SATA2 ports, and you should follow the instructions outlined in Asus P4P800-P4C800 Series: Installing RAID on Intel ICH5R.

If you think you might want Intel RAID in the future, but aren't sure and want to run IDE mode until then, then you will require 1 SATA drive attached to the SATA1 port, and you should instead follow the instructions in Asus P4P800-P4C800 Series: "RAID-Ready" Setup on Intel ICH5R .

Quote:
2 – If I will use the raid function of Promise PDC20378 RAID Controller (using IDE_RAID and SATA_RAID1 / SATA_RAID2 ) to create a RAID set/array, I must install (during the OS installing) the Promise Fast trak 378 driver, isn't true?
Yes and no. Those 3 ports are indeed driven by the Promise chip, you've got that right. Promise has 2 drivers: FastTrak 378 for RAID mode, and SATA378 (also called FastTrak ATA) for IDE mode, depending on which way you have set the BIOS Advanced- Onboard Devices Configuration- Onboard Promise Controller Operating Mode (RAID or IDE). You have to run all the ports in the same mode (RAID or IDE).

If you want to use these ports in RAID mode then yes, you need the Promise FastTrak 378 RAID Driver for Windows XP.

If you want to install an OS onto these ports in RAID mode, then you will need to run the MakeDisk utility in the 378RAID folder of the install CD (on another computer) to make a floppy to use after F6 time.

If you want to run these ports in IDE mode instead of RAID, see 3 below.

If you want to use these ports in either mode, but don't want to install an OS onto them, then you don't need to do anything for them at F6 time.

Quote:
3 – If I don’t need use the RAID function of PDC20378 RAID Controller, but I want to use the IDE_RAID and SATA_RAID1 / SATA_RAID2 motherboard connectors to have more HDD connected, would I install (during the OS installing) the Promise SATA378 driver ?
Yes and no. Unlike the Intel, you do still need to load a driver to use the Promise ports. You would load the SATA378 driver to run the ports in IDE mode (see 2. above). But you only need to use F6 if you are installing the OS onto a drive on a Promise port. For best performance, this setup is not recommended; it's better to attach the OS drive to PRI_ISE1, SEC_IDE1, SATA1 or SATA2.

Quote:
4 - In the Motherboard Manual I find the Promise 20378 RAID (chapter 2-28) and the Promise PDC20378 RAID (Chapter 2-29), are they the same thing?
Yes.

Quote:
5 – In the installation CD Drivers I find an item to install the Promise 20378 RAID controller driver. Is this driver the same that I speak in the question 2, above? If are the same, must I install it after install the OS and not with the Flopy during the OS installation?
Yes it is the same thing, but the fancy CD setup utility is only meant for use after the OS is already installed. If you are installing the OS onto a Promise port (not recommended) then you have to use the "Makedisk" utility which is on the CD, to create a floppy disk, which can then be used at the F6 prompt (F6 does not accept CD's).

Hope this helps,

-clintfan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2004, 02:43 PM   #4

Clintfan

Thank you. With your clear and deep explanation you not only answer me as well you give me additional information. In a thread I already read that you are giving a very good technical support to ASUS Motherboard and they will be grateful for your good work. For other words, you are doing there work. Two weeks ago I wrote (by email) for them and until now, nothing.

Once again thank you. Now I know, in case of Asus motherboards doubts: Technical Support Forum/motherboards & Bios/Asus/Clintfan.

From Portugal
Regards

Mário Roberto
Old 09-18-2004, 03:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3567
Hi,

I am going to bump you on and in the meantime want you to search the references from Clintfan about this issue. He has a sticky and some other threads that are excellent in this area. Clintfan is the most skilled in the area of RAID function.
Mark3567,

I had read already Clintfan Threads about these issues. But my English isn’t good enough and because that, some times, I am not be sure. This way, putting my own thread for me is easily.

Regards

MRoberto
Old 09-19-2004, 09:35 PM   #6

See my thread and others if you want a walk-through installation of XP Pro and SATA RAID on the P4C800E Deluxe. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:30 PM   #7
Guru

MRoberto, your English was plenty good enough for us to understand what you were asking. Mark is a one of the expert volunteers around here, and he was merely letting you know that your post had been seen, but that he personally couldn't help with the RAID issues. The funny thing about this is, less than a year ago I was warning everybody that "I don't do RAID" well now I do a little of it, but I am still not a RAID expert!

ComputerTech refers to a thread here where an outline is given, of a problem which was had during installation, and a workaround that worked. There must have been some problem, because installations usually go smoother than that.

Yesterday I answered questions but failed to give you any recommendations for your install. You did not ask for recommendations, and of course the choices are yours, and depend on how you plan to use your system. But here are two ideas...

One of the best ways to set up this motherboard is to install the OS to a single IDE drive attached as PRI_IDE1 Master, and use 2 SATA drives on Promise SATA_RAID1 & 2 ports in a RAID1 configuration for data storage only. This is the setup I use on our family PC here.

An alternate OS setup instead of the IDE, is to use 2 SATA drives in a RAID setup (0 or 1) on the Intel SATA1 & 2 ports; this would require the F6 and drivers during the setup, as described in the threads I linked. Two things to remember about RAID are: RAID0 gives you all of the speed but without any data protection (lose one drive and you lose everything); and RAID1 gives you some data protection, but without a noticeable speed increase (some might say a decrease but with 2 spindles you can also get some increases, so it balances out).

-clintfan
Old 09-20-2004, 06:06 PM   #8

Clintfan,

Thanks again. I am not sour yet about which system I will do. When I issued this thread I had as scope to better understand the differences between the promise and the ICH5R controller and of their drives installation in a RAID system. I am building my own PC for the first time (I already have a P3-1GHz) and I haven’t yet all components.

I already get.

Mobo – P4P800-E Delux
Processor – P4 3E, Clock speed 3.0GHZ, FSB 800MHZ, 1 MB cache – Prescot (after read a Clintfan thread I stayed disappointed with my choice).
PSU – Eurothec 460W
Case – Cool Master all in aluminium.

Next Purchases:

Memory - For now one 512 MB Kingston module DDR400. After I will get another one, equal, to achieve the dual band.
HDD – Not yet decided, but I am thinking to get a Seagate brand.
Graphic Card – Asus V9570/TD – 256MB with the Nvidia Geforce FX 5700
Others devices such as (DVD, Mouse, Keyboard, Display)

After read your last post, I have two more questions, please:
1 - In a RAID array could I make two partitions and in one of them install the SO?
2 – Suppose that I will install the SO in the PRI_IDE, isn’t better I use the Sata 1 and Sata 2 connectors of the ICH5R controller for to do a RAID array with the Intel Raid, instead to use the promise controller as Raid?
Thanks

Mário Roberto
Old 09-20-2004, 11:28 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
I am not {sure} yet about which system I will do. When I issued this thread I had as scope to better understand the differences between the promise and the ICH5R controller and of their drives installation in a RAID system.
I understand. I was just trying to give you some other options to think about. I hope I answered enough of your questions. Feel free to build your system however you wish, it is how we learn.

Quote:
Processor – P4 3E, Clock speed 3.0GHZ, FSB 800MHZ, 1 MB cache – Prescot (after read a Clintfan thread I stayed disappointed with my choice).
Right, I think you may run only 2.8GHz with this prescott CPU but that is only 6.6% speed loss. So it is not as much percent loss as it would be with 3.4 or 3.6GHz CPU.

Quote:
1 - In a RAID array could I make two partitions and in one of them install the SO?
Yes. You can partition a RAID array the same as any regular drive. It is a good idea to put the OS plus application programs into one partition (I like to choose about 15-20GB (15360-20480 MB) ), and leave the rest for something else: data, virtual memory, etc.. In this way if the OS ever needs to be reinstalled, the other partitions are not disturbed.

If you install an OS onto RAID you will have to build the array first, using an offline BIOS utility (CTRL+I, or CTRL+F). At that time you will need to choose either RAID0 or RAID1, as I mentioned before. Once this has happened, the array will always look like a single drive, to the software.

Quote:
2 – Suppose that I will install the SO in the PRI_IDE, isn’t better I use the Sata 1 and Sata 2 connectors of the ICH5R controller for to do a RAID array with the Intel Raid, instead to use the promise controller as Raid?
That depends on what you mean by "better". It will work either way. I just happen to think that there can be a performance improvement on the data flowing within the system, if the Promise is used for the long term data store. The reasons why, have something to do with the internals of the ICH5R, but sadly we don't know what all of those internals really look like.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan
Closed Thread