Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Processor or Memory?

This is a discussion on Processor or Memory? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Just wondering I can't increase compiling time with memory. I have 512 right now. Most of you will say weak,

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 10:34 PM   #1

Just wondering I can't increase compiling time with memory. I have 512 right now. Most of you will say weak, noob, or why are you using a 20 year old computer. w/e. Observing task manager I rarlerly see my memory spike and when it does it lasts <1ms. So i dont really think i need more than my 512, what do you people think?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2005, 03:26 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

What kind of RAM are you using, and what CPU? Check in your motherboard manual to see if it can handle higher quality RAM.

This link might be of some help https://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp...44251&tstart=0
Old 08-10-2005, 05:18 AM   #3

greetings
512 is plenty. you have a working, useful computer that fits your needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2005, 09:28 AM   #4

i agree with whodatknocking. first of all if you are using your computer for ms office apps and just web surfing then 512megs of ram is more than enough for you.

but if you are using your computer for lets say mutimedia applications such as maya or adobe products then i recommend more than 1gig of ram in your system for optimum performance. what is the speed of your ram? are you running DDR ram?
Old 08-10-2005, 03:54 PM   #5

right now i have a pretty basic setup with 3200 ddr and a p4 with ht but im feeling it works fine, just wondering if memory would change vs compile times. thanks for the quick replies all
Old 08-10-2005, 04:10 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus
RAM would have a negligible effect unless your programs are large and complex. Other than that I'd say you have an excellent setup for what you're doing.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:10 PM   #7

cool, thank you all for saving my money. I only have one friend that is into computers at a lower lvl than gaming but he is still 90% gamer so he would just say buy the 2 gigs, it will suck but its the best you can get for that crappy mb. but w/e im thank you all for the help
Old 08-10-2005, 06:24 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus
I do some gaming on my main PC, but the larger part of my work is 2D and 3D design. 1GB is barely enough at times and I've brought my computer to almost a complete halt when rendering complex scenes and objects. Dual core is looking quite inviting now.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:37 PM   #9

almost any game will bring my computer to a halt. I have a $130 radeon XD I was gonna buy a new graphics card but im used to slower rending and such. It's pretty funny cause when i used to play games it looked awesome to me then my friend would come over be like, omg i can handle this, why is it lagging so much. you need to buy a new graphics card you need more memory. buy an amd 64 like mine it will kick you processors ***. Personally i like staying with a slower processor because it keeps me outta the competition, especially since i cant offord to compete
Closed Thread