Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Problem with startup

This is a discussion on Problem with startup within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an aspire tc-281 desktop and everything was fine until I started it up after a while and it

Old 04-23-2020, 09:06 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have an aspire tc-281 desktop and everything was fine until I started it up after a while and it boots the acer logo but before it comes to windows sign in it just loses display after loading. It still runs but no display is present but when I turn it on its fine and has option to go into bios or booting. I've tried the booting to windows and it doesn't work.

I've tried going into bios and making sure everything is fine with the harddrive and I'm not sure anything is wrong to my knowledge. I tried uninstalling latest windows feature but it gave me an error.

The weird thing about it is it boots up while only in safe mode. Shows all my data but just does not when I boot it up the regular way. I'ts like as soon as I boot it up the display cuts off and my monitor loses its reception.

I'm thinking something happened with an update and computer got shut off before it was finished because thats the last time I remember it working.

When I try to goto upgrades settings It does not open up in safe mode, I just click on the settings and it doesn't pop up. I'm trying to get into to delete the last upgrade just to tell if that was it.

Computer has been running fine for as long as I have had it, only 2 or 3 years.

I've tried also taking video card out and putting it back in but that didn't work either.

Also the ram, tried replacing the socket and nothing.

It boots into safe mode though is really throwing me off.

If anyone can please help find out why this would be great.

I don't want to delete harddrive and reinstall windows because I have lots of important files on the harddrive and don't know if it will even change anything.

😊
thanks
PureVerity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2020, 03:40 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVerity View Post
I tried uninstalling latest windows feature but it gave me an error.
What error exactly did it give? Also, how exactly did you try "uninstalling latest windows feature"?

Quote:
The weird thing about it is it boots up while only in safe mode. Shows all my data but just does not when I boot it up the regular way. I'ts like as soon as I boot it up the display cuts off and my monitor loses its reception.

I'm thinking something happened with an update and computer got shut off before it was finished because thats the last time I remember it working.
Could be a display/graphics driver issue. Download DDU and copy it to the affected pc using a flash disk or any other method that works for you, then run it in safe mode as described here https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/ddu-guide-tutorial

After the cleanup using DDU, disconnect the pc from the internet then download the graphics driver from Acer's website or the video card manufacturer's site using another pc, then copy it to the affected computer and install it. Disconnecting the affected pc from the internet prevents it from automatically installing a graphics driver from Windows Update because drivers hosted on Windows Update are not always the best (outdated or buggy), and Windows is configured by default to fetch drivers online (from Windows Update servers) if none is available/installed locally.

Quote:
I don't want to delete harddrive and reinstall windows because I have lots of important files on the harddrive and don't know if it will even change anything.

😊
thanks
Now would be a good time to backup your important data, because if all else fails, a clean installation of Windows remains the only way forward. With or without the current problem, you should be having a backup plan for your important data because things can and will go wrong just because they can! You're lucky the hard drive is still functional and you can still access its contents. How long things will stay that way is a wild guess, and you're taking a huge gamble with your data by not keeping backups.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote