Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Power Surge, Computer Only Boot if CMOS Battery Taken Out

This is a discussion on Power Surge, Computer Only Boot if CMOS Battery Taken Out within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have had a computer for about 2 years (2TB hd, Gigabyte MB, radeon hd 5700, amd 6 core cpu,

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have had a computer for about 2 years (2TB hd, Gigabyte MB, radeon hd 5700, amd 6 core cpu, 4 sticks of 2GB ram) and never experienced any problems. Two weeks ago we had a storm here and there was a power surge that lasted a few seconds. My computer was plugged into a power surge protector but it was not an expensive fancy one, more like a power strip with a fuse. The computer would boot to the windows 7 screen where the 4 colors are spiraling and come together and once finished, it should have went into the page where you would select the user. Unfortunately at this point, a blue screen would appear and it said terminal error. I looked up the hex address and couldn't find much information on it. So I went ahead and reinstalled windows and then I got it back to booting up like normal. I started installing drivers and such and when I rebooted, the computer did not beep (usually beeps once a few seconds after pressing power) and the display would not kick on. Fans and lights are on, but it just sits like this for a few minutes and then shuts off. I messed with it, thinking it was the graphics card, and the only thing I found that works is wait about 10 minutes with it plugged in but the power off, or to take the cmos battery out for about 2 minutes and put it back it. When I do either of these two things and press power, the computer will beep and boot like normal. I can reboot several times before this happens again, but never fails to come back. I have noticed funny things such as the computer stalling and lagging (thinking) more than usual at times, as well as the sound stuttering at times. I have installed new drivers for video and sound, have not messed with bios updates or anything. I have a hard time believing its the PSU because it does work at times. But waiting 10 minutes seems like something is either cooling down or discharging. And taking the cmos battery out just for a few minutes I believe is clearing the cmos, so sounds like the MB may be bad. When it was working for a while, I took each ram stick out and booted one at a time, booted fine over and over. Before I start replacing things, does anyone have any ideas what may be the problem. Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
Emeritus

PC Specs?
Pre- Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built- Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

Power surges commonly damage PSU's, especially poor quality ones, and that in turn damages other components.
Quci Mobo check- remover all RAM, boot, listed for beep codes from the Mobo speaker, No RAM and no beep codes indicates a Mobo problem.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

Custom Built
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 -- AMD 870 w/ 2x PCI-E 2.0 x 16
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Six-Core CPU
RAM: 2 GB x 4 DDR3-1600 Corsair
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6450 - 1 GB
PSU: 700 Watt XION, XION-700P12N

I took the ram out of the computer and booted and the Mobo speaker let out a constant beep that did not stop until I held the power button down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Emeritus

3 short beeps is the no RAM code for AMI Bios.
A continuous beep indicates a power and/or graphics problem.
Xion PSU's are lower quality and the power surge very possibly took it and it in turn damaged the GPU.
Try the GPU in another PC with a good quality 400W minimum PSU.
The best option is to bench test precisely as listed below.

Remove EVERYTHING from the case.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 pin (Dual Core CPU) or 8 pin (Quad Core CPU) power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

Closed Thread