Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Power/bootup Problem

This is a discussion on Power/bootup Problem within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. OK my PC just wouldnt turn on last night and still wont this morning the fans move a small amount

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 04:56 AM   #1

OK my PC just wouldnt turn on last night and still wont this morning the fans move a small amount but nothing else happens after that. There was a power cut last night in which the pc got shut off without a shutdown.

The PC has done this before and then turned on of its own accord some time later, however this is the longest it has taken to come back on. I did nothin out of the ordinary to the pc ie no new software or hardware installed, no bios or registry settings changed.

I have unplugged and replugged all cables and still nothing i have also cleared CMOS and still nothing.

Heres the important parts
AMD XP2600+ BARTON
ASROCK k7S8xR3.0

Im running WINXP HOME SP2

The PSU is made by WINPOWER and is rated at 400W

ANY HELP???????????????
CHEERS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2004, 06:00 AM   #2

If you had a blackout with the computer on, it's not good for the computer. It could be anything that's not working -- you have to do a process of elimination.

First test the power supply. The easiest is to unplug it from all hardware in the computer, and use a power supply tester (can be purchased from a local computer shop). Turn on the power supply with the tester connected to the plug that powers the motherboard. Or, if have a comparable ATX power supply (400W or more), then plug that into the computer and see if that works.

If the computer does not post (or give you beeps) after a new power supply, then you have a hardware problem. You could test each piece of hardware in another computer (if one is available).

That would leave the motherboard and processor, if all hardware works. When it comes down to these two, it's a chicken-egg thing. Is it the motherboard not working, the processor or both? Unless you have working motherboard for the Athlon 2600, you could test it on that. Otherwise, you may have to buy a new motherboard and processor just to be sure it works.
Closed Thread