Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Plugging the wires on the motherboard

This is a discussion on Plugging the wires on the motherboard within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I need your help. I have got a problem with plugging the wires on the motherboard. I have

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,

I need your help. I have got a problem with plugging the wires on the motherboard. I have had a look on the manual for the motherboard, it didn't tell you where the front panel wire goes. I have got 8 wires for the front LED lights to come on. I want to know where I can plugs the front panel wires to go on the motherboard?

The name of the motherboard I have got is: ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 Rev2.0 AM3+ AMD Motherboard.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2018, 02:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

They are calling it the system panel header. #24 in the diagram on page 9 of the manual > https://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com...3S3%20R2.0.pdf (from the Asrock site)

From page 19 of the manual
Click image for larger version

Name:	syspnlhdr.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	321568

We may also need to know what case you have as some can be quite different.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
Registered Member

No, I am talking about the front LED lights as it have got 8 wires that come altogether but I don't know where the 8 wires goes on the motherboard?

I have already plugged the power switch, reset switch and hard drive LED on the system panel header as I don't need to ask you where these wires goes on the motherboard, but the 8 LED wires I have got I don't know where I can plug them on the motherboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
Game Team Tech

are you able to post a picture of the wires?
Old 09-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #5
Registered Member

Please see the attachments.

There are two different wires as one of them is for USB and one of them is for the LED lights. I know the front USB is easy as I know where to find the USB ports but I don't know where to find the ports for the LED lights.

The name of the case I got is called Galaxy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wire1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	321570   Click image for larger version

Name:	wire2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	321572   Click image for larger version

Name:	wire3.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	321574  

Name:	front-led.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	321576  
Old 09-08-2018, 02:13 AM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

The front panel consists of audio jack ports (headphone and microphone) as well, so not all eight wires you're referring to are for LEDs. Most cases only have two LEDs that connect to the motherboard, i.e HDD LED and POWER LED, each with a + and - connector. Refer to your case's manual. The photos would be helpful if they showed the labels on the connectors, without them we're just looking at wires that could be for anything.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thank you for your advice. I have found which ports that the LED lights wires and USB wires goes but there is a little problem. I dont know which wires I should use to go to which pins.

Here it is:

Cable 1:

Ear R+
Ear R-
Mic VDD
Ear Gnd
Mic Gnd
Ear L-
Mic Data
Mic L+

Cable 2:

Shield
Gnd 2
VCC 2
Data-1
Data+1
Data-2
Data+2
VCC1
Gnd 1

If you could tell me which name for these wires that I should use to plug to the pins on the motherboard for both cables, I will then find these wires and plug them to the pins on the motherboard.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:30 AM   #8
Registered Member

Here is my motherboard manual:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20gbd6e.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	321580  
Old 09-09-2018, 01:54 AM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0147 View Post
Thank you for your advice. I have found which ports that the LED lights wires and USB wires goes but there is a little problem. I dont know which wires I should use to go to which pins.

Here it is:

Cable 1:

Ear R+
Ear R-
Mic VDD
Ear Gnd
Mic Gnd
Ear L-
Mic Data
Mic L+

Cable 2:

Shield
Gnd 2
VCC 2
Data-1
Data+1
Data-2
Data+2
VCC1
Gnd 1

If you could tell me which name for these wires that I should use to plug to the pins on the motherboard for both cables, I will then find these wires and plug them to the pins on the motherboard.
Could you take a well-lit, clearly focused image of the front-panel audio cable (cable 1 in your list above). I need to clearly see each connector and its label, including the wires that run to them. I need to see if any two connectors are coupled, i.e, one connector is branching off of another, for example are Ear R+ and Ear R- coupled together? Likewise, is there an Ear L+ that's coupled to Ear L- since you listed only Ear L-? Could it be that you intended to write Ear L+ instead of Mic L+? I expect something like:

Ear R+ & Ear R-
Ear L+ & Ear L-
Mic Data
Mic Gnd & Ear Gnd
Mic VDD

It's important that we get the connectors' labels absolutely correctly, unless you don't mind frying something on the motherboard. That case looks old and most likely has an AC97 audio panel. Fortunately, the HDAUDIO header also supports AC97 configuration, but I can't tell you where on which pin to plug which connector until I know their correct labels. Using my list above, here's how the connections on your motherboard would be:

1. Mic Data
2. Mic Gnd
3. Mic VDD
5. Ear R+
9.Ear L+

As for USB 2.0, the connections are as follows:

1. VCC1
2. VCC2
3. Data-1
4. Data-2
5. Data+1
6. Data+2
7. Gnd 1
8. Gnd 2
10. Shield

Note: Pay attention to the pin numbering layout of the motherboard headers. If you look at the images on the manual, pin 1 is marked, but there is no other similar mark, so you may end up numbering them in wrong direction. The correct format is, The bottom row of the header where number 1 is, has odd-numbered pins (1, 3, 5, 7 and 9) while the upper row has even-numbered pins (2, 4, 6, 8 and 10). Take your time and you'll get it right. Good lighting will help a lot and shutdown and unplug power from the computer before plugging connectors on the motherboard.
Closed Thread