Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

PC won't even boot

This is a discussion on PC won't even boot within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So, when I power my PC on, the following happens: 1) the monitor immediately goes to sleep - This happens

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 10:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

So, when I power my PC on, the following happens:

1) the monitor immediately goes to sleep
- This happens through multiple different monitors.
- Sometimes the monitor has an extensive "insert cable" message, but as soon as any of them are inserted into my powered PC, they go to sleep.
- Tested on HDMI and... (PCU? the one with the old letterbox monitors? With the screws in the side of the port? Sorry)

2) the computer goes into what seems like an overdrive mode, whirring heavily for startup

3) I am unable to hard reset the PC by holding the off button. In order to turn it off I have to completely power down the power supply by the switch or the wall.

This happened overnight, working perfectly down after a completely normal shutdown, I woke up in the morning - tried to power it on, and this happened.

I am also a student so I don't have the means to take it into the shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
Registered Member

Hi.
Item #1 = No Signal from Computer
Item #2 = Normal operations when "something" isn't communicating right..(i.e. video card)
Item #3 = That could be as simple as a Power Supply not providing enough "power" causing all these problems, including unable to shut down holding power button.

My first test would be, "replace" the Power Supply with a Test Unit.

Call a few of your local shops, explain your "student" status, and ask if they can "diagnose" the Power Supply at no cost.

It never hurts to ask.

At my shop, the answer is "Always YES"... I would rather make money "fixing" a problem then ripping people off to tell them what is wrong.

You may find some shop, that has the same "values"..

let us know

-sapphire
Closed Thread