Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

PC turns on but doesn't POST or display anything to monitor

This is a discussion on PC turns on but doesn't POST or display anything to monitor within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all - I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the PSU forum, but that's part

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stancestans
Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all - I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the PSU forum, but that's part of the problem actually.

I'm having an issue where my computer is able to power on, but it doesn't POST or display anything to the screen. I pulled out my hard drives and GPU, just to see if it could boot, and use the onboard videocard instead but no luck.

I'm just not sure if it's the PSU that fried and it's not supplying enough power to the motherboard (even though it powers the CPU fan and hard drive/dvd drive), or if the motherboard is fried but is still somehow able to power things like the case fan and the LED lights for my power button on the tower.

Is the only way to be sure to just get a new PSU and try it, or is there some way I can avoid doing that and save myself the expense if the motherboard itself is just dead.

If it helps, my motherboard is from an HP computer: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product...ent/c03132942/

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2019, 11:45 PM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Hello and welcome to TSF. Perform a benchtest as described here https://www.techsupportforum.com/for...er-918754.html and let us know how it goes.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Hello and welcome to TSF. Perform a benchtest as described here https://www.techsupportforum.com/for...er-918754.html and let us know how it goes.
Thanks! I don't have any spare components to do a bench test with unfortunately. Is it still worth pulling out everything and testing it again to see what it could be, or would I just need to take it to someone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2019, 06:53 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

You don't need spare parts to perform the benchtest, you use what you already have because the point is to troubleshoot that build. Sure, you can also take it to someone who has spare components to test with and find the rogue one.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
Registered Member

Okay, I ending up pulling almost everything apart - I don't have any thermal paste on hand so I didn't have a chance to try reseating the CPU, but I ended up taking out everything and putting it back together and still the same signs.

I was able to find my original PSU and GPU so I swapped those in and same issue - there is power going to the board to power the fans (and the old GPU) and power LED, but there are no POST beeping errors and it won't output any video...

I think it's likely that my motherboard died?
Old 07-18-2019, 08:56 PM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Yeah, the motherboard is most likely faulty. Power it down, unplug the power cable, remove all ram sticks and turn it back on. Do you hear any beeping?
Old 07-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #7
Registered Member

Still no beeping without the RAM unfortunately... same behaviour. Stuff powers on and there's some lights to things like the case LEDs/fans, but that's it.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:30 PM   #8
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

That motherboard is defective.
SpareChange likes this.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:29 AM   #9
Registered Member

Ah, okay. :(

Thanks for your help.

Oh, since I had already taken a picture to show someone else, I'm not sure if this would help to show anything that you might see?

Thanks.
Closed Thread