Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

PC properly boots "some times." Lots of details. Don't hate me.

This is a discussion on PC properly boots "some times." Lots of details. Don't hate me. within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Edit: I am very sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, but I had no idea where else

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
Registered Member

Edit: I am very sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, but I had no idea where else it would best fit; my issue is all over the place, and, I feel, centered around my motherboard.

You can probably skip down to the bold if you don't want to read the following, but you will likely miss details of circumstance.

I have two major issues:

#1. The PC only gets into POST/BIOS some of the time, at the moment the frequency of a successful boot is very low.
#2. I am running into a lot of BSODs when I can get my PC to boot and let me into Windows, primarily with 0xA and 0x3B; I can only assume #2 is a RAM-related issue given all of the problems I describe below.

1. Cat peed inside computer (mostly hit the video card top and RAM area, trickled down to SATA ports). This happened when the computer was off, thankfully, and I made sure to take my time to clean and dry all of the affected parts.

a. Video card, remarkably, is fine.
b. Hard drive and hard drive cable also seem to be fine.
c. Status of RAM and motherboard are questionable, more ahead.

2. After cat incident, the computer would turn on, but not POST. I gave up trying to fix it. One day later, the computer turned on just fine. It stayed this way for about three days, after which I bumped it by accident and it froze on me (considering the amount of times I have bumped my computer, and this particular time being a rather gentle bump, this was very odd to me). The computer, again, seemed to work fine

a. I could not get the PC to start until I removed one stick of RAM (this started after a BSOD involving 0xA), then it seemed to, again, work fine.
b. The secondary memory bay/slot (I only have 2) seems completely non-functional. The POST has never come on while using a stick of RAM in that slot since the bump.

3. After a week of use post-bumping, the computer again would turn on, but not POST/nothing would display - all fans were running, typical LEDs such as network cable/power/etc. would turn on. At complete random, the computer will occasionally make it into the POST/BIOS and I will be able to get into Windows, after which a blue screen will usually occur. This is the situation I am currently in.

a. This occurs with both onboard video and a PCI-E video card.
b. The stop codes for my errors have been 0xA and 0x3B, with the former being much more common. 0x3B only showed up at this stage.

Shortened list of symptoms:

1. Computer always turns on, fans and lights always working, does not usually have a display.
2. On occasion, when initially turned on, the PC will immediately shut down and turn itself back on, mimicking step 1.
3. What I can only describe as "at random," computer successfully boots into POST/BIOS and eventually into Windows; when the computer has access to the BIOS, it can also always get into Windows.
4. Lots of BSODs involving 0xA and 0x3B when computer can get into Windows.

Things I have tried (I am including things I have already mentioned above for those helpers who did not manage the mettle to digest them already):

1. I have tried both sticks of RAM together and alone in both memory slots.
2. I have tried to run/boot my PC both with my video card and with onboard video.
3. I have flashed my BIOS to newer and older versions.
4. I have given my PSU an extended rest (with and without the power cord).
5. I have reseated and rechecked (many, many times) all cables in my PC.
6. I have replaced the motherboard's battery.
7. I have cleared the CMOS.
8. When my PC is feeling generous, I have tried to trigger blue screens in safe mode (I can).
9. I have tried to run memory checks (both the standard and Memtest), but they lock up every time.
10. I have tried to disconnect my card reader and USB cables.
11. I have tried intentionally removing my RAM to try and trigger the freak-out beep codes from my motherboard. This used to consistently occur, but recently it will usually not even supply those beep codes.
12. I have tried every possible combination of the above, where applicable, many times. I am probably forgetting something else to add to the list.

Question 1: Why is it that I no longer receive memory-related beep codes when I intentionally try to trigger them?

Question 2: I considered that my PSU may be faulty, but power seems consistently supplied to all fans/LEDs/etc. Giving my PSU a rest or lessening the amount of components it needs to supply power to seems to have no effect/supplies no discernible pattern. Additionally, when my computer does crash or encounter an error, it never spontaneously turns itself off or shuts down. The BSOD can hang indefinitely. Is it just me, or does this indicate that the PSU is unlikely to be part of the issue? I have gone through a good number of faulty PSUs, and the symptoms were never like this, even in part.

Question 3: The lack of consistent cause and effect is driving me nuts. Does anyone have any idea what exactly the faulty component here might be? I am hoping for an opinion much more experienced than mine, as I can also speculate that it is likely the motherboard and/or RAM, with a side of always-top-of-the-blame-list PSU.

System specifications:
Motherboard: Biostar G31-M7 TE (6.0)
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600
RAM: Corsair XMS2-6400 2GBx2
PSU: Rocketfish 700w*
Video Card: Nvidia PNY GTX 460 1GB

* - in the interest of the horrible brand clause, I specifically picked up this PSU because it was, as stated by a few reviewers/testers, a diamond in the rough, and I needed to get something local on short notice. It has served me very well for a very long time. Please keep that in mind before commenting; I generally go for much more reputable brands and am at least somewhat aware of issues relevant to the subject.

Thanks much for taking the time to read my post. I really look forward to hearing from anyone who is interested in commenting and/or helping, and I'd be happy to elaborate further on anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

1st Suggestion is try with another PSU that you could maybe borrow and see what happens. Never heard of Rocketfish so I reckon they are rubbish.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Rocketfish are indeed junk so replacing it to a better quality unit would be a wise decision regardless of whether it's the culprit or not.

Quote:
9. I have tried to run memory checks (both the standard and Memtest), but they lock up every time.
Usually points to the RAM being faulty.

However:
Quote:
Question 1: Why is it that I no longer receive memory-related beep codes when I intentionally try to trigger them?
Usually means a faulty Mobo.

So I think you're either looking at a faulty Mobo, faulty RAM or perhaps both. Kinda difficult to pinpoint considering the circumstances.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Emeritus

How old is the build?
Rocketfish PSU's are not good quality regardless of what you read about them.
Post the Error Codes as sen on the BSOD screen.
Remove all the FAM and boot.You should hear a repeated beep from the Mobo speaker. If you hear the beep the Mobo is probably OK.
You can test the RAM, using ONE stick at a time, using MemTest and let it make several passes.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

@Tyree: He already stated that removing the RAM doesn't initiate any beeps from the Mobo and that he tried Memtest which locks up upon trying to run it.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Let's not lose site of this!

Quote:
1. Cat peed inside computer (mostly hit the video card top and RAM area, trickled down to SATA ports). This happened when the computer was off, thankfully, and I made sure to take my time to clean and dry all of the affected parts.
What I'd do is NOT TURN ON THE COMPUTER.

At least until I'd removed all cards, then the mobo, removed the memory, removed the CMOS battery, taped over the beeper, removed the CPU and the heat sink from it, etc.

Then I'd place all the components that were have likely to have been peed on in the top rack of a dishwasher (except the PSU). Add one cap LIQUID soap, and run it partially through a wash cycle...up to the point where the built in heater would come on. I'd stop it there, then prop open the door partially and let all the steam out and let the components air dry a little in the warm dishwasher. Then I'd remove everything and place it in a sunny warm place and let it dry for 24 hours.

I've seen what urine, (and salty sea air too) can do to a board, and the long term effects are not good. I would think it would be very difficult to clean up urine with just a spray bottle, or even contact cleaner, and rag...if that's what you used.

JMO!
Old 05-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Emeritus

I have had success cleaning Mobo's using 90% alcohol. Liberally brush on the alcohol with a soft varnish brush.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regarding previous commentary: I'm a she.

I'm really grateful that a lot of you have taken the time to help me, though I do feel that several (not all) people who replied honestly didn't read my post thoroughly. I understand that it was very long, though, and there are many posts to go through on these forums.

In reply to some things stated:

1. I did clean my components with a 90% isopropyl solution and took extra care to ensure that everything was cleaned and dried.
2. I agree, I really think my motherboard is faulty. I was hoping others would feel the same so that I could build more confidence in the theory.
3. I had a friend test my PSU in two other PCs, it worked completely fine so far as we tried. He also used a multimeter on it and told me it came up fine - not that I know what that means, specifically, as I'm not versed in testing PSUs with a multimeter.

I think I'll just work on getting a mostly new PC. Thank you again for helping me and taking the time.
Closed Thread