07-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Join Date: Jul 2010
OS: 7 x64 Ultimate
I am attempting to repair a friends computer that he was about to throw out. He said the PC would turn off every 20-30 minutes and he said he replaced nearly everything and finally called it quits.
When I brought it home, I was getting no display and it would shut off after about 10 seconds. If I turned it back on, it would shut off in 5 seconds. Seemed like something was overheating. I looked at the thermal paste and it seemed to be a gob of a mess. I used alcohol and q-tips to remove that (my first time!) and applied a thin coating of thermal grease to the cpu and reseated the fan.
Voila! The PC seems to be staying on now!
Problem now is, I'm still not getting a display. I also get no beeps including if I remove the ram or gpu.
I have tried (all known to be good and working) different monitor, different psu, and a different gpu. No difference.
I removed the motherboard battery and cleared cmos (moving the CLRTC jumper to pins 2&3 for about 10 seconds and then moving it back and reseating the battery)
Still no beeps.
Is the only possibility left trying another motherboard? I was trying to avoid that seeing as how I've never built a computer and am a bit hesitant to go that far with it. Also I would prefer not putting money into something I'm not sure is going to work!
The motherboard is a P5Pl2 from ASUS.
Are there any more ideas for me to try or any additional information I need to give! Thanks a ton guys. (:
*edit* I'm pretty certain this stuff is out of warranty as well, but I will check with him on that later!