Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

PC locks up 5-10 seconds everytime I close a Window??

This is a discussion on PC locks up 5-10 seconds everytime I close a Window?? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok, first off, I'm a computer technician and I work in a store repairing PCs and laptops. But this problem

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 01:54 PM   #1

Ok, first off, I'm a computer technician and I work in a store repairing PCs and laptops. But this problem has got me stumped. I really don't want to bring it into work and start swapping out parts to see if the problem was fixed, because the wiring job took me forever.

So here's the issue: Just about 1 out of 5 times I close a window (be it Firefox, SmartFTP, Windows Explorer, Dreamweaver etc.) my PC will lock up for 5-10 seconds before it resumes normal operation. And by lock up, I mean everything on screen freezes except the mouse, which I can still move. It has been doing this for a month now, and I've already done a fresh reinstall last week. So it has got to be something hardware related.

Specs:
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum board
2GB Kingston PC3200
Athlon 64 3000+ (1.81Ghz, not overclocked or anything)
Western Digital 250GB SATA II HDD

other hardware in the machine that I doubt is the problem:
eVGA GeForce 7900GT 256MB
Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Hauppauge TV Tuner
Allied 450w PSU

Also, might I add, that my games run flawlessy (Oblivion, Battlefield 2, Half Life 2 etc.) with no lockups or any lag. This problem only happens in Windows itself, when I CLOSE a window. I can move it all over the place, minimize several etc., but if I close the window, chances are, everything will lock up for 5-10 seconds, right when I click on the red X.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

First place I would look is here---> Allied 450w PSU The power supply might be strong enough to pull the unit, however, might have some issues with fluxuating voltages as changes are made in the voltage draw. Run this free program and watch it while coming out and see if there is anything in temps, fan speeds, or voltages that might give you any clues:

SensorView Pro

https://www.stvsoft.com/download.php?id=122
Old 06-28-2006, 03:04 PM   #3

well, temps are all fine. I would think if my power supply was an issue, that my games would have similar locking up episodes, especially when my 7900GT is chuggin power. I don't get it that it only happens when I close a window, and I have a fresh reinstallation of WinXP??

Here's my avg voltages though, they look off, especially the -13.10 one. I've always heard that anything +/- a volt should indicated an issue with the PSU.

Here's the readings:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2006, 04:46 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Just for kicks, check your bios and see what it says about your +12V reading. Actually, any voltage that is +/- more than 5% is considered out of specs. Therefore, any 12v line should be between 11.4 as a minimum and 12.6 as a maximum. That leaves one to believe that either the voltage is out of range or the sensor is not giving a proper reading. Either can happen. Might also want to take another reading using this program just to compare with your BIOS reading:

Motherboard Monitor 5

https://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311
Old 06-28-2006, 07:45 PM   #5

I tried out the MG motherboard monitor program, and it's a bit off, as it reported my chip at 250F, and all the negative voltages show up as 0v. However, I checked the Bios, which reports all the voltages the same, except none of the negative voltages are listed. So I have reason to believe that SensorsView is accurate.

I'll bring my machine into work tomorrow and test the lines with a multimeter to get an accurate reading of the voltages. If it's still off, I'll try a different PSU there, and see if that does the trick. I'll report back tomorrow.

Thanks for all of your help by the way, I really appreciate it! I may stick around for a while, and give some help back to the community
Old 07-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #6

Well it's looking so far it was the PSU. I put in a new 450w, and everything seems to be fine now. The -12v line is now around -12.09V so it's looking good. Nice little program as well, I'll definately add it to my tech/utilities disk. Funny how PSUs can cause the strangest problems?

Thanks again for the help, some guys from a different forum were trying to say it was a software conflict in the registry (as if lol) and that is after I told them I've done a fresh reinstall. I'll definately be putting this site down in my bookmarks. Thanks again for the help!
Old 07-01-2006, 08:31 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Thanks for posting the solution!

Also, most (if not all) modern computers don't use the -12V and -5V lines anymore, so you don't need to worry about those two lines.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:48 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

What I have found is that even though those lines mentioned by Ralck are not used in many instances, they can indicate a problematic power supply if not within specs. We do hope you stay around and don't be a stranger on here. Have a good day and happy you got it going.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:53 AM   #9

arg! After leaving my machine on overnight, and coming back in the morning it's doing it again. I usually leave it on 24/7 because I use the remote desktop a lot at school and work.

Really the only things it could be from here is my motherboard. There's a small chance it may be Creative's software that comes with the X-fi, because I installed the same exact card on a customer's machine yesterday, and when I put the software on his machine, he started having similar issues like, but his lasted only 2 seconds or so. Any other thoughts? I'll try it out extensively in safe mode this time and report back to say whether or not it's truly software/hardware.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:37 PM   #10

I have the same problem.

I've measured the lockup to be 2 seconds long (this must be accurate, because I've measured it more than once). It's interesting that it is so acurately 2 seconds everytime... (some kind of interrupt or something?)

I can't safely reproduce it. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not. I can't figure out the pattern. And it could happen after closing any window. It's started annoying me with the RXVT windows (closing them or writting exit in them - the same, but not every time).

Please notice, that I've been trying to solve this problem many times for a long time. With no success!

I can't locate any process that uses CPU at that time - actually I can't meausre it neither with task manager, process explorer or system performance monitor because even if I give them realtime priority, they lock up too. There is some possibility that I've noticed sometime that these do not lock up, but neither do they show anything useful - I can't guarantee that this has happened, though.

I've been looking for ways to measure the installed drivers' performance, as this - I thought - would be the source of the lockup. But I've found no way to do this.

Have you found anything new?

Do you think it would be of any use to compare our configurations?
Closed Thread