Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

PC Keeps Restarting (hardware Issue)

This is a discussion on PC Keeps Restarting (hardware Issue) within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a PC that for some reason keeps restarting by itself and cant seem to identify the reason, although

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a PC that for some reason keeps restarting by itself and cant seem to identify the reason, although ive narrowed it down to a few likely culprits.

I dont belive this problem is related to windows, because now it started doing it right from startup, before windows even started loading, often when the hp logo comes up with boot options.

I havent changed anything on this system, it ran for a year perfect with its current configuration, it started i suspect after some power outages. when the issue first began It load windows successfully, with no errors (or logged) then it restart 3x , then work for a few hours, now i cant even get 10 minutes in and its restarting.

Its acting like its overheating, but according to the hardware monitor (in setup) its in range.

System: HP a1020n / p4 3.06ghz / 4GB Ram

To try and identify the problem I have:

Formatted HDD
Re-installed windows XP-PRO
Installed windows xp-home (to eliminate disc disc error)
Cleaned heatsink and motherboard of dust
Checked power switches (passed)
checked MB battery (passed)
Disabled some features for testing, firewire, smart HDD, onboard audio
Verified CPU temp was not excessive
Verified correct memory installed
Tested wall receptical , ground ok, wired correctly
Removed PCI hardware
Replaced memory sticks & rotated memory banks
Cleared CMOS to default
Replaced battery
Replaced CPU Fan
Switched power cable
Switched keyboard & mouse
switched monitors

About all i havent done is pull the power supply, or replace the CPU, im fond of this computer, its super fast (has not been overclocked) and Im not sure what my next step should be

I m leaning toward the powersupply but would like some input if ive missed something. Any ideas how to identify this problem?

Many thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Emeritus

This will allow you to see the any Error Codes.

Prevent Automatic Restart after BSOD.In Windows XP.

Click on Start and then on Control Panel.
Control Panel double click to open System.
System Properties window click on the Advanced tab.
In the section labeled ‘Startup and Recovery’, click on the Settings button.
In the section labeled ‘System failure’, remove the checkmark from ‘Automatically restart’.
Click OK, OK to exit.

Vista & 7

Click on Start and then on Control Panel.
In the Control Panel double click to open System.
In the left panel under ‘Tasks’ click on Advanced system settings.
In the section labeled ‘Startup and Recovery’, click on the Settings button.
In the section labeled ‘System failure, remove the checkmark from ‘Automatically restart’.
Click Ok, OK to exit.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Just a few questions

-Is this happening when you are booting into windows? If you leave it at the bios, does it eventually restart?

-When it is on, does it act strangely? If you have a USB device plugged in, does that sometimes stop working?

My first guess would be that the power supply is failing. The kind of "goes quietly" instead of "KZZTSHHH BOOM there goes everything else!" failing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
Registered Member

yeah i agree, power supply seems the culprit,

there were no devices during final testing, no USB, no firewire, I even pulled the DVD, and disabled the on-board IDE, then disabled SATA and tried a IDE drive , i have seen similar crashes when on-board controllers have failed.

At first I could monitor the CPU temp (in bios) and it was okay, it would boot windows perfectly with no device issues no errors reported, but would restart after some time (even if idle) immediately after turning it on.

I monitored the CPU /pf/memory (from task manager) for any sign of unusual activity and i didn't see anything, in fact it boots fast and is more responsive then my dual core.

Now it happens almost immediately sometimes i don't even get to the bios boot screen before its restarting, so it cant be windows that i can see.

Ill try disabling auto-restart, i am sure that will lead to a blue-screen, but that might help debug the problem if it gives the correct error code,

Thanks for your help, ill let you know how it goes
Old 08-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Emeritus

If you get any error codes, post them in this thread and perhaps we can help resolve the issue.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
Registered Member

none, zero errors, i cleaned all events and then shutdown, then restarted and let it cycle, and there were no errors reported in the system, and i didnt get the blue screen, it continued to just restart with no warning or footprint.

one thing i noticed, i hear the heads drop on the HDD when it happens, i dont think the drive looses total power during a restart, if it does it parks the heads first, should never drop like that

a sign that its power related?
Old 08-09-2012, 05:31 AM   #7
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

It does indeed sound like a power supply issue.

Do you have another power supply you can test the computer with?
Old 08-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
Emeritus

OEM PSU's are commonly poor quality.
How old is the PC and has any hardware been added to the original configuration?

Old 08-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
Registered Member

yeah I can get a used one for $10 at the computer store not 5min away, ill try that. I have seen alot of issues with hp power supplies so its looking like that my next step...

anyways thanks for your help guys, ill let you know if it resolves it
Old 08-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
OEM PSU's are commonly poor quality.
How old is the PC and has any hardware been added to the original configuration?
well its getting old, over 5years now. if this computer wasnt so fast i would just toss it but it one of those systems that just is very responsive.

I stripped down everything to barebones, all that was in it was a soundcard, and wireless card, DVD, HDD, and fans, not really high-drain devices, although the OEM PS is only 250watts, so it could have been reaching near max output already.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

A $10 power supply is going to be a garbage power supply.

Just saying..
Old 08-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #12
Yur
Registered Member

250w is nothing, get a new one. $10 ones can be okay, if you make sure you have a good brand an good wattage(i'd say 400w for this system), but since it's hard to determine wether a secondhand unit is good or not, i'd recommend something new. Maybe get a cheap one to see if it works, and get a better one if it does. :-)
Old 08-11-2012, 05:57 AM   #13
Emeritus

A $10 PSU will be junk at best.
If you do not have and do not intend on adding a dedicated GPU, we suggest a good quality 450W minimum.
All Seasonic- All XFX- Most Corsair (not the CX-GS-M Series) are top quality.

Newegg.com - XFX ProSeries P1-450S-X2B9 450W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Core Edition V2 Full Wired Power Supply

Old 08-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
Registered Member

yeah i agree at best its only good for testing and verifying issue.

I intend to replace with a new one if it resolves the problem, but i dont want to blow $50 on one if its the MB then im stuck, it wont power my dualcore it needs around 450+ watts with the video card

Thanks again guys for the good advice i appreciate it
Old 08-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
Emeritus

You're welcome, best of luck and please post back with any results.

Closed Thread