Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

P4P800 problem, or CPU? Help, please

This is a discussion on P4P800 problem, or CPU? Help, please within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've had a home-built PC running since January with an ASUS P4P800 motherboard & a 3Ghz Pentium 4 processor, and

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 10:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

I've had a home-built PC running since January with an ASUS P4P800 motherboard & a 3Ghz Pentium 4 processor, and until recently it was fine although every few weeks would complain about overclocking (I never have!). A fews weeks ago Windows XP closed itself down for no apparent reason a couple of times, then a few days later it got to the point that the machine would shut down & reboot every few seconds, not even getting any display to the monitor.
Took it apart and found that all fans came on when the power applied to the system (start button not pressed) but just for a few seconds then, after a few more seconds, the process would repeat about 3 times. Pressing the start (power on) button would trigger the same process with the same result.
Took motherboard out of case and tried with everything apart from RAM & processor removed - same result. Bought new power supply - same result.
There are no beeps, even with RAM removed it's exactly the same.
Tried with video card installed, and about once every five attempts I briefly see the ASUS splash screen before the system shuts down again.

I assumed it was the mobo, not CPU, and returned it under warranty to aria.co.uk. After several weeks they returned it to me with a note saying 'Item tested as working'. I've tried re-assembling; now fans run when power applied but stop again after about 2 seconds - no beeps, with or without RAM installed. This happens without pressing the start button, and occurs again when the start button is pressed but only the first time unless I power off the PSU before re-trying.

Help - please!!!! It can only be, I think, cpu or motherboard but which? Could it possibly be the processor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2004, 12:53 PM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

some of the m/b no longer give the bios beep codes,asus latest bios are starting to reincorporate them
what size p/s are you using and is it a quality or generic supply, i run a 550w antec tru power

Old 10-11-2004, 02:03 PM   #3
Registered Member

The original PSU in the case was 400W. The new one I bought is a 400W "Golden Power Silent" with 12cm temperature controlled fan - it gives exactly the same symptoms. At this stage it is only powering the m/b, cpu, RAM & 1 drive - no cards at all, so I'd have thought that was adequate.
I did update to bios 1016 to try to cure the overclocking error (it didn't) but I don't know whether that will support beep codes. Without them what chance do I have to troubleshoot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2004, 02:16 PM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

try starting by bypassing the switch and just touching the contacts on the m/b

Old 10-11-2004, 02:29 PM   #5
Registered Member

interesting idea, thanks - I'll try it but it will have to be tomorrow now (it's late here in the UK). I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:24 AM   #6
Registered Member

Grin

Dai,
If I was in your part of the world I'd happily by you a pint of amber nector!

I'd convinced myself that it must be MB or CPU as I'd swapped RAM & PSU, and never even considered the switch - that's exactly what the problem was; the switch is jammed as short-circuit therefore starts the system as soon as power is available, then quickly shuts it down again, as you had correctly deduced.

It now start up correctly, including beep codes!

Very many thanks,
Peter
Old 10-14-2004, 10:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowndale
ASUS P4P800 motherboard & a 3Ghz Pentium 4 processor, and until recently it was fine although every few weeks would complain about overclocking (I never have!)

I have a P4P800-E Deluxe, 2.8 Ghz P4, and I get the same "overclocking failed" warning sometimes.

This is a replacement board, the previous P4P800E-Deluxe I RMA'ed also
gave the same overclocking message, for no apparent reason.

What's up with that? Mine has BIOS 1002.002
Old 10-14-2004, 10:46 AM   #8
Registered Member

Once mine is fully re-assembled I'll see whether I still have the problems; it's unclear whether the supplier did anything to the board while they had it as the symptoms were slightly different when it was returned. Also they could have charged me to return it but didn't, which suggests that there was a problem - I've asked them for details of their testing but, so far, no reply.

I'll re-post if the over-clocking message still occurs.
Closed Thread