Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

P4C800 suggestion

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  stevejungen 
#1 ·
Hi,

May be I found a solution (one of) for P4C800 deluxe
I hope you will excuse my English …which is very French!

I run XP PRO on a P4P800 with P4C 2.4 GHZ, bios 1011, HT on, turbo auto.

Result, a lot of unexplained and permanent crashes, especially concerning peripherals and the USB.
In spite of the files that I sent to them, Microsoft was incapable to localize the problem.

After three weeks, I was a little depressed …

I installed chipset update from Intel as Clintfan said. (Thank you to him for all the help that he brings !).

Result, always the same problems.

I decided to disable HT and to choose a uniprocessor mode:

( Expressions are those of the French XP version translated into English, but I hope that you will understand)

Settings \ control panel \ system \ hardware \ device manager \ by connection \ PC multi-processor ACPI
Choose to change pilot \ choose in a list \ no search, choose in a list
Select PC with advanced interface ACPI

Reboot

Restart and make inverse operation :

Bios, HT enabled

Settings \ control panel \ system \ hardware \ device manager \ by connection \ PC with advanced interface ACPI
Change pilot \ choose in a list \ no search, choose in a list
In the list, choose PC multi-processor ACPI.

Reboot

It seems that XP PRO was forced to recognize the good pilots and for three days, XP works perfectly (and fast).

Hope it can help.

P.C.

See less See more
#2 ·
...recognize the good pilots...
By pilots, I think you mean drivers.

It is interesting that it is possible to change the driver for the PC itself. I did not know this.

I was curious and tried it here on Windows 2000, and it did not show the same PC choice you described, but it was interesting anyway. I guess that might also be how to switch it to a "Standard PC", after which you would then disable the ACPI-related settings in BIOS.

-clintfan

#3 ·
Sorry, Clintfan !

I mean "drivers" of course.

I started from ACPI config. If you start from normal PC setting, may be you have to reinstall XP SP1.

My computer works now for 4 days with ACPI + HT without any problem or blue screen (but I still pray every morning !).

Have a good day,

P.C.

#4 ·
multiprocessor

I tried what you said, because I discovered that my taskmanager didn't show 2 cpus as it should.
But I begin right from the start. As you imagine my pc crashed once again and that in the middle of an installation. So I had to repair windows. After that it recognized 2 cpus again.

Than I followed your description. But at the end windows didn’t give me the choice for multiprocessing any more. Just had the two options (normal and ACPI) the two others disappeared.

I am now starting all over again.

#5 ·
I untersdant what you mean,

I had the floppy of new drivers and XP on the CD.
I asked to find the good driver on the floppy and had the answer "nothing for your search", but when I came back to the menu, I had the "multiprocessor" option.

I have to say to you that I installed the Intel driver before with the exe file. May be I have the reference in XP files by this operation.

P.C.

#6 ·
By Intel driver you certainly mean the” infinst.exe” file that updates the driver for the chipsets. I did that directly after installing XP. I heard that’s the right thing to do. Than I updated all the other drivers, every BIOS and XP. Now the system is running for 24 hours without a problem (=new record). But it needs further testing. I keep track of the problem in this threat.
I am now running on one ram stick to exclude memory problems.
If all that doesn’t work, I will replace the power supply with an Enermax 460W. My Zalman 300W may not be enough.

If all that doesn’t work I run out of options

PS: Merci pour cette astuce. Je vais te tenir au courant de mes progrès. Et informe-moi de l’état de ton système s.t.p. Est-ce qu ça marche toujours ?
Salutations

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.