Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

P4C800 Deluxe not detecting SATA HDD's

This is a discussion on P4C800 Deluxe not detecting SATA HDD's within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am setting up a new computer with two identical Hitachi 123.5GB SATA HDD's. One is connected to SATA_RAID1 and

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 08:25 PM   #1

Evil

I am setting up a new computer with two identical Hitachi 123.5GB SATA HDD's. One is connected to SATA_RAID1 and the other is connected to SATA_RAID2. As far as the BIOS setup is concerned, in Advanced => Onboard Devices Configuration, OnBoard Promise Controller is set to Enable and Operating Mode is set to RAID. After posting the computer displays:

FastTrak 378 (tm) BIOS Version 1.00.0.37
Scanning IDE drives

After anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes later, this error is displayed:

No drive attached to FastTrak controller, the BIOS is not installed

Now, if I change the setting in Advanced => Onboard Devices Configuration, Operating Mode to IDE, this is what happens after posting:

SATA378 TX2plus(tm) BIOS Version 1.00.0.33
Detecting
Warning - The BIOS does not find poper hardware configuration, Please check your system again!
No device found
No BIOS installed

Ok, so I switch to SATA cables to SATA1 and SATA2 and restart, the following happens after posting:

SATA378 TX2plus(tm) BIOS Version 1.00.0.33
Detecting
BIOS is not installed

Uhg, then I go back into the BIOS, Advanced => Onboard Devices Configuration, OnBoard Promise Controller set to Disable, restart after posting, I receive no messages from the Promise controller, Windows XP starts the installation and finds no drives.
What is going on?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2004, 03:25 AM   #2
I helped the forums.

OS: XP-Pro Sp2 & XP-Pro Sp2 Tablet Edition, Vista Ultimate, Win 7

My System

What exactly do you want to do....if you want to set up a raid... see Clinfan's sticky, if you simply want two HD's non raid, then disable the promise controller, put the drives on SATA1 & SATA2 and format them. I'd suggest you start out with only one drive first....the one you wish to put the OS on. In any event the drives need to be formatted before they can be recognized by XP
Old 08-28-2004, 01:09 PM   #3

Thanks for the response twajetmech,

I would like to set those two drives up in a RAID 0 configuration. When both are connected to SATA_RAID1 and SATA_RAID2, according to the manual, I am suppose to be prompted by the Promise controller to hit Alt-F and setup the array. This option never comes up. The Promise controller just keeps detecting then posts the information just like Clinfan's sticky has. But this is not suppose to happen if I have drives connected, right? I have connected standard IDE HDD's to the Primary RAID controller and been prompted to setup the RAID array, but never for the SATA HDD's. I have disabled the Promise controller and connected one of the drives to the SATA1 port, but still have no visible sign that the motherboard is seeing the drives, and after Windows copies it's initial files for installation it reports that no drives are available for partition/format/installation, like it does when I have a drive connected to the Primary IDE connection. I don't know if all four SATA ports are bad, if both drives are bad, or if I have some obscure setting that is not correct. Remember, the Promise controller does detect IDE HDD's connected to the Primary RAID controller. I have tried new SATA cables, with the same results. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2004, 03:50 PM   #4
I helped the forums.

My System

wish I could help you more...I thought the sticky would do the trick....since I am not running a raid on my system I hesitate advise you what to do next....Clintfan will hopefully see the thread and respond, The only thing I'll say is double read the manual for the bios settings, it sure sounds like they maybe incorrect, or you just missed a step in the raid setup....you could try setting up the raid without the IDE drive and see what happens....good luck
twajetmech
Old 08-28-2004, 03:50 PM   #5

Ok, took the drives to a local computer store and had them hooked up to another board and that board could not find those drives either. Looks like two bad HDD's, unbelievable!
Old 08-28-2004, 03:52 PM   #6
I helped the forums.

My System

Wow, what were the odds both drives no good...well I hope that solves your problem !
twajetmech
Old 09-14-2004, 10:55 AM   #7

This reply is a bit late. But the question you possed was "...what were the odds both drives no good..." The odds are good. I built a similar computer for my daughter about 3 weeks ago. I bought two new Western Digital 40G, 10k rpm Raptor drives. They were also DOA. They were both produced within 10 drives of each other (based on the serial numbers). The WD tech person said what are the odds of that? The replacement drives worked great as a raid 1, on the Promise controller.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:59 PM   #8
I helped the forums.

My System

make sure when installing components or putting the system together you follow standard anti-static precautions...more components go bad due to miss handeling during installation than I care to think about. In six years I've not had to rma a mobo or component due to doa !
Old 09-21-2004, 12:46 PM   #9

You're right! However, I have been assembling computers since I built my first Apple II+ clone. The odd part about the whole thing was that these drives were produced within 10 units of each other (based on the serial numbers). Western Digital gave a possible reason. They suggested that the box/container may have been mishandled causing the failure. I have another problem, the third drive that was installed in the computer, from a different vendor, a WD, SATA, WD1600, a 7200 rpm, 160G drive, began acting up. Initially, although the drive was easily recognized and performed well, it developed sector errors. Chkdsk was not able to repair it. I transferred the data (not much) that was on the drive to the raid 1, C, drive with no problems. I tried to reformat the drive NOT using the quick format and the formatting quit after about 140G with errors. (I have the identical drive and controller (Adaptec SATA controller) in another computer, a P4S533, and it is working fine.) Calling Western digital again, I am getting a replacement. I rechecked the grounding and the voltages on the power supply and at the MB. Everything was fine. Some luck!? By the way the Raid replacement drives are working great!!
Closed Thread